Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2003, 12:41 PM
Karna

Default just home from belize, multiple questions answered

We just got home from Belize yesterday since there have been numerous questions I thought I would write a bit about it. First we did not get to go on a shore tour =( there were 800, thats right 800 college kidss on our ship getting a hour credit, go figure! They sent 6 home from Belize for unrully behavior and underage drinking. Not fun!
Our cruise director said to go on a tour that there was not much shopping there. There really was not. Ships have only been stopping there for a little under a year so it is not very touristy. As for shops there are jewelery, a liquor store and also cuban cigars, pharmacy with presciption drugs with out a script. A perfume shop and the usual knick knack and t shirt shops.
The CD said the babboon sactuary was not very good. He said you go to an area where there are alot of trees and a guy runs from tree to tree shaking them listening for babboons which are actually howler monkeys. When he finds them the male has about 20 females with him and gets irrate you are after his "women" and yells at you for about 20 minutes. That was it.
He did say the cave tubing was great, it is $80 per person and no kids under 18 allowed, which was the main reason we did not go we had a 7 & 11 y.o. with us. We decided to go downtown where they said in the tourist shops that there were lots of shops. There were but they were all like you would find in a mall in the US no tourist items. Lots of shoes, clothes etc. There were even bras hanging out on hooks on the streets with people selling them. Our kids were shocked to see how they lived, it is very poor and run down.
Had I known ahead what it was like it was not worth the stop but the cruise included Key West which is where we wanted to go. But I would not go back.
The tour we wanted to go on was called Goff's Cay which was snorkeling off the shore and was SUPPOSED to be very good. I understand the diving is excellent but we do not dive. So needless to say, it was a learning experience!!
Was NOTHING like Cozemel as I had expected!!
Karna
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Todda

Default Re: just home from belize, multiple questions answered

Thanks for the post. We leave on the 27th on the Sprirt. Did you make into Limon ?
Old January 12th, 2003, 06:53 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: just home from belize, multiple questions answered

If you wanted to snorkle why didn't you? what did you do in Limon?

Majesty Of The Seas 06
Carnival Victory06
Holland America Oosterdam 05
Carnival inspiration04
Carnival Destiny04
Carnival Legend03
Imagination99
Sensation94,96,98,01
Jubilee92,97,00
Festival87
Old January 12th, 2003, 10:14 PM
Karna

Default Re: Re: just home from belize, multiple questions answered

That was not one of our stops. We were only to Belize and Key West. Sorry.
Old January 24th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Passenger

Default Belize is GORGEOUS!

We were on Carnival Pride Oct 2002 and did the Shark Ray Alley snorkeling trip --- absolutely the best part of our vacation! Went to Ambergris Caye for lunch ("Las Isla Bonita" for you Madonna fans) - and it was the most beautiful place we've been in our lives!
Old January 27th, 2003, 10:21 PM
Passenger

Default Re: just home from belize, multiple questions answered

What did you do in Key West? Did you enjoy that?

Why didn't you go to Goff's Cay?