Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2003, 11:03 PM
mlbcruiser

Default Bioluminescent tour - Puerto Rico

We will be stopping in Puerto Rico on a cruise in late March. Royal Caribbean's website shows a shore excursion available that is puzzling to me. It's a bus to Fajardo (about an hr. from San Juan) and then kayaking in waters filled w/glowing organisms. I can't believe there would be time to do this (you need darkness) and still make it back to the ship in time for an 8 p.m. departure at that time of year (later sunset). Anyone taken this tour? Thanks for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Browezilla

Default Re: Bioluminescent tour - Puerto Rico

I've done Phosphorescent Bay, which may be the same thing. They do glow, but it I would call it more like a sparkling in the water. You would need to be there when there isn't moonlight or under cloudy skies. The light they emit is small, so if there is any surrounding light it will drown it out.
Old January 18th, 2003, 03:55 AM
mlbcruiser

Default Re: Re: Bioluminescent tour - Puerto Rico

A further opinion, please? Would it be worth the time and trouble to see it? (I think it costs about $80 pp and would require a bus ride that would probably end up using up about l l/2 hrs. each way by the time you figure assembling, etc.) I've heard this can be REALLY neat from those who have done it while staying in P.R. But it does depend upon the moon and time of year. Thanks!
Old January 18th, 2003, 10:25 PM
Browezilla

A little more information on when I went there. I was staying on Puerto Rico and went on a beautiful moonless night. it was neat, like a sparkling in the water more than a phosphorescence, but having experienced it, I wouldn't pay $80 to see it. Now I've hear that the bioluminescent is better at some locations than others, for example, I've heard it is the best out toward Viequez (sp). I saw it at Phosphorescent Bay I believe it was, pretty much in the south central portion of the island. Hope this helps. An analogy could be like seeing lightning bugs. If you've never seen them, it's pretty neat the first time, but would you pay $80 to see them. Personally, I didn't think they put on as good a show as lightning bugs, it's just different. You may want to try Fodors and frommers sites for other feedback.
Old January 21st, 2003, 11:12 PM
mlbcruiser

I, too, had read about seeing this in Vieques and didn't realize it was something you could see near Fajardo. We were in Fajardo once when we stayed in San Juan 3 days prior to a cruise. We know someone who saw this natural phenomenon and raved about it, but I don't know at which location. At any rate, I contaced RCI and they said it is NOT offered on our cruise in March. Thanks for your help, though! (I, too, thought $80 sounded a bit pricey!)
Old January 23rd, 2003, 12:27 PM
Admiral

The "real" phosphoescent bay is near La Pargeura on the south side of the island. It is awesome. However, it's a long, long way away.
Old January 24th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Yeoman

I lived a few miles from Fajardo and don't recall hearing anything about phosphoescent water, either there or Vieques. A trip to Phosphoescent Bay on the other side of the island is indeed awsome. I suppose if conditions were ideal, the phenomena could appear anywhere.
Old January 27th, 2003, 11:14 PM
mlbcruiser

Well, I spoke to Royal Carib. and they said the tour isn't offered in March. Just what I feared. Anyway, I bet the one I've heard about in the past is the one Pamda mentioned. I recall when we were in P.R. a few yrs. back that I read about one that was pretty far away and that's why we didn't do it then. I was thinking it was on Vieques, but maybe not. Someday~! Thanks for the info. These travel related boards are the best places to learn!