Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Tania Rainer

Default Discover DIving Course??

I'm thinking about booking Learn to Dive Resort Course at Abanks in Grand Cayman, has anyone else done this??

It sounds amazing but I've only snorkeled before but always wanted to try diving. I figure I might as well give it a try for $75.00 but I'm still a little nervous.
Is it easy to learn?
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2003, 12:19 PM
bdcbbq

Default Re: Discover DIving Course??

I have no experience but want to try it. I won't hesitate to take a course like this the next time I can. I don't believe any dive instructor wants a person to have a bad experience and will do everything they can to maintain your safety.

If you want some experience check a local YMCA, community college, or local dive shop for an introductory course.

I would go for it. My problem is the flying to get there<G>
Old January 16th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Bubblez

Default Re: Re: Discover DIving Course??

I was nervous my first time too but you WILL LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! Just listen to the instructor they stay close to you the entire dive...don't forget to breath(that's a joke :-) Enjoy
Old January 16th, 2003, 10:23 PM
browezilla

Default Re: Re: Re: Discover DIving Course??

...for comparative purposes, a course to become certified will run you about $400 (inclusive of books, equipment rental, local certification dive, pool time, etc). $75 to try it before you commit $400 to something you may not like (doubtful) doesn't sound too bad.
Old January 17th, 2003, 08:43 PM
Passenger

Try it!

My husband and son did this type of thing in Curacao and in Cozumel. They both loved it so much that I decided to try it our next trip. Unfortunately, I have asthma and they wouldn't let me. From what I read, you'll be diving right off the shore so you can go as slow as you need to. The resort dives don't go really deep.

If worse comes to worse and you don't like it, you can always snorkel with an oxygen tank!
Old January 18th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Tania Rainer

Thanks for the encouragement, I can't wait to do it !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 19th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Joe Ipock

By all means, go for it.I took 3 resort scuba courses on the old Oceanic (Big Red Boat) and loved them.I am now a certifed Dive Master with IDEA.You will have a great time and be well taken care of.The discover scuba dives are very shallow (20 ft or so) and you will see lots of fish.Actually your best diving in theCaribbean is in the 20-50 ft range,any deeper and you lose color, not to mention your bottom time.Just remember to relax and never hold your breath.Have a great time!
Old January 25th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Gray

Hi Joe

Who are IDEA ??

We are PADI Certified divers and from what Tania is describing is basically what they call in the UK a Try dive

Tania IF you are a competent swimmer look around locally where you live for a DIVING SHOP ask there they can give you all teh info and it will be cheaper also when you do go diving YOUR local dive shop is the place to hang out

Can't fault Cayman lots to see expecially Stingray's anyway we will be there in 28 days

Gray & Steph
UK
Old January 25th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Joe Ipock

Default Re: Re: Re: Discover DIving Course??

IDEA is the International Diving Educators Association out of Jacksonville, FLA.They were one of the original training agencies.Of course all of the certification agencies require basically the same skills and training.PADI is probably the best known and if I decide to get my instructors rating I would probably do PADI just because of this.Our local IDEA instructor is very demanding and a great teacher.He has given me the training and confidence that I never dreamed I would be able to do.If anyone out there ever thought of trying scuba-GO FOR IT!!!! It will open up a whole new exciting world for you.
JOE
Old January 30th, 2003, 11:54 AM
Gray

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Discover DIving Course??

Ta for the info Joe
Had never heard of them over here in the UK
Not be long before the wife and I are in Blue water around the Carribean so far got eight dives booked