Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2003, 12:15 AM
Lacey

Default take Beach Rendezvous shore excursion or take cab on our own

We will be in port in St. Maarten from 8:30 to 5:00 the ship offers a 4 hour shore excursion called Beach Rendezvous to Orient Beach. However, we thought we might like to depart ship at 8:30 a.m. get cab and head right to Orient Beach for most of afternoon probably depart the beach at 3:00 just to be safe and make it back to ship in time BUT many people have said since this is our first time to Orient Beach and St. Maarten we should not rent a cab but take the shore excursion they say it is a 30 minute drive from where ship docks, that the roads are very hilly, narrow, dangerous, and winedy and there is a good chance of a taxi breaking down and then the ship leaving with out us. Now I am nervous about getting a taxi on our own Any suggestions?????????? How much is a taxi for two people over and back to the ship dock?? Would it be better to do cruise lines shore excursion
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2003, 07:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: take Beach Rendezvous shore excursion or take cab on our

Lacey,

We went to Orient Beach in December 2002. The taxi was $5.00 per person each way and there were plenty of taxicabs coming and going all day. The beach is beautifull and you will be able to rent two chairs and a umbrella for $15.00. Waiters walk up and down the beach serving drinks and food. We also left the beach at 3pm to meet the ship at 5pm. The ride back was only about 20 minutes which left some time for some final shopping.
Old February 14th, 2003, 07:00 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: take Beach Rendezvous shore excursion or take cab on

We did the excursion package with the bus ride....it was great..no worries, we were back on time...it included lunch which was great and a lounge chair...I would do that excursion again if I went to St. Maartin...it was good to not have to worry about transportation or anything...and the guide on the bus was awesome...she told so much about the island it was worth it.
Mary Margaret
Old February 14th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Lacey

Default Re: Re: Re: take Beach Rendezvous shore excursion or take ca

Hi,
Thanks for your advice. Did you feel that you had enough beach time doing the shore excursion? Were you able to relax look around and enjoy the beach or did it seem rushed to you? I really like the idea of the tour guide > Thanks again
Old February 15th, 2003, 08:49 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: take Beach Rendezvous shore excursion or tak

I felt like there was plenty of beach time. It was a great day all in all. I think you will enjoy it. They take you to the part of the beach that is topless mostly....if you take a walk farther on down the beach its almost all nude...my kids did that, they said it was quite interesting, but mostly all "old" people naked..nothing apealing for my kids in their 20's.
Mary Margaret
Old February 15th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Browezilla

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: take Beach Rendezvous shore excursion or

Take the cab, and since you're going the cab option, consider some of the other fine beaches on St. Martin. Also, Marigot is a beautiful French city you may want to visit on your return to the ship.