Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2003, 11:01 PM
TexasAnn

Default Belize/Cozumel

What was the most awesome thing you did in these two ports?

We're two late 30-somethings. I love swimming and snorkeling, my fiance is a non-swimmer, but does enjoy the beach and shallow snorkeling.

We've been to Cancun a gazillion times, but can't decide what to do on a "cruiseship" day in Cozumel. We've been to Chichen Itza and Tulum, so we don't care to see replica ruins. We really loved the catamaran sail & snorkle trip we took in St. Thomas.
Can you recommend any of the "snorkel/beach day" excursions?

And we're totally clueless about Belize... with him being a non-swimmer, the cave tubing is out. Are there water taxis to take you to any of the Cayes? Is it worth it go to them? Should we get off the ship, buy the t-shirts that say we've been there and get back on???

Thanks in advance for ANY help you can offer...

Ann
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2003, 10:23 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Belize/Cozumel

the snorkeling in Cozumel is to die for!!! Is your fiance comfortable in the water at all? the reason i am asking this is that there are some totally amazing snorkel boat excursions to take of the Palencaar Reef. It truly involves no swimming at all! the current ever so gently pushes you along. You have a life vest on at all times and a certified dive master with you at all times. If your fiance can tread water he can totally do this. The other option would be a beach day at Chanauukab National Park - picnic, swim, beach snorkel, dolphin swim. The aquatic life isn't as stunning here as at the reef but it is ok.
Old February 21st, 2003, 09:55 PM
TexasAnn

Default Re: Re: Belize/Cozumel

Yes, he is okay in the water, but not in deep water. Frankly, he's never even worn a life-vest before... I can't find a deep enough public pool here for him to try one on!
He was going to try snorkeling when we were in St. Thomas a few months ago, but when they said the water was 20-feet deep, he didn't even consider it.

I think we'll try one of the snorkle trips anyways though... I'm somewhat new to snorkeling and I really like it, and he's quite comfortable relaxing on the boat, if it's a nice one. I was just hoping there was a place like Sting Ray City that has shallows as well.

Sounds like Belize is out though... The excursions are all pretty expensive from what I can see. I like the idea of having more money to spend in Cozumel!

Thanks!
Ann
Old March 16th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Belize/Cozumel

One thing you should consider in Belize is cave tubing. We did it via a private guide for $65 per person. (On the ship, RCCL Nordic Princess it was $95 for the same trip).
One hour van ride to the park, then you hike (very easy, shadey, pleasant walk really) thru the rain forrest for about 1/2 hr to 40 mins. Then you ride in your inner tube down a stream thru a huge cave and then downstream. Lifejackets are available but you can just ride in the tube, paddle w/your hands. Great fun! Lots of kids were with us including some non swimmers. My kids (20, 22) loved it, too. There is NOTHING to see in Belize and no beach accessible except via an exursion to one of the cayes (islands).
In Cozumel, consider a cab to Chakannab where your fiance can snorkel only as deep as he is comfortable - the snorkeling is shore based, so he can stay close to shore where he can touch the bottom w/o getting freaked out. If he is a nonswimmer, I wouldn't encourage a snorkle trip for the first time. If the weather is at all windy, the waves may wash over his snokle and the depth may scare him. I woud try snorkeling in shallow water first. Another option in Cozumel is to cab (or rent a jeep - $65/day from Budget at the pier) and hit one of the no charge private beaches like San Fransicso beach, about 20 mins- 1/2 hr from the pier max. You can rent floats, kayaks, etc if you want. Beautiful calm beach. Playa Del Sol charges you to use their facilities but is nice too. You can do ALL these things much cheaper than with the ship's excursions. Let me know if you have questions. Marianne
Old March 17th, 2003, 09:38 PM
Jacquelyn

We went to Belize on a cruise last year. I am not a non-swimmer, in fact I can swim like a fish but I do not like the water. Sounds klnd of crazy doesn't it. Let me explain. I almost drown when I was six, since then if water hits me in the face I panic. I LOVE to snorkel. I have a life vest on and I know I will not drown. I can lift my head up at any time and breath. I understand where your fiancee is coming from. If he has ever tried to snorkel on reefs he would be addicted. We went to Shark Ray Alley last year in Belize. It was kind of pricey but worth every penny. I was able to touch Sand Sharks and Sting Rays. I got into the water in my own time, they had a latter on the back of the boat. The reason I am telling you this is so your fiancee may take the initiative and go to a pool and try with the life jacket on. You can buy cheap snorkel gear at Wal-Mart. He is really missing out on a world that is unbelievable. I think I could swim the across ocean as long as I had my life jacket.
Old March 19th, 2003, 01:29 PM
VickiC

In Belize we used a local guide who came highly recommended, his name is Mark McField his email is markmcf@BTL.com. He is a really nice guy, picked us up at the tender port and took us to see Alta Ha in Feb. of 02 and we will use him again in May when we go back to Belize.
Email me direct if I can answer any of your questions.
Vicki
Old March 19th, 2003, 04:50 PM
MichelleM

There were plenty of non swimmers on our cave tubing excursion. We did it with Reggie, www.regtour.com. He asks the non swimmers to wear life vests but your butt is in the tube the whole time you are in the water. It does range from inches to above your head but like I said you are in the tube the whole time you are in the water.
Old March 22nd, 2003, 02:56 PM
Firefighter Steve

I have a great idea...Have him learn to swim. He may need to save a kid some day. If he learns to swim he won't have to be one of the watchers...He can be a DOER.
Old March 23rd, 2003, 08:07 PM
MichelleM

Our YMCA does have adult swimming classes. So they aren't stuck in with the little polliwogs classes with kids they are with other adults who want to learn to swim and didn't learn for some reason when they were a child.