Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Passenger

Default Eating in Western Caribbean

Since I'm going to the Western Caribbean, is there anything that I need to be aware of before choosing to eat in a restaurant?

For example...in Cozumel (LOVE mexican food), do I need to stay away from fresh uncooked veggies? I know they used to say not ot eat anything uncooked because of the water, but was wondering if that was still true.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on lunching in Cozumel, Grand Caymen, Costa Maya and Belize? Nothing too extravigant, just a nice cafe or such. Would rather not have a PARTY atmosphere. I want to do some relaxing on this cruise and saving the partying for the nights on ship. :-)

Thanks

Dale
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2003, 09:40 AM
sdakan

Default Re: Eating in Western Caribbean

General info about eating in Mexico:

Don't drink the water.
Always order your drink WITHOUT ice. Safest to get a can of soda or bottled water (not fountain soda).

Ask yourself if your love of Mexican food is worth the risk of ruining your vacation because you got sick from it. <grin>

Better safe then sorry!
Old February 25th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Admiral

The nicest restaurant spot in Cozumel is at he end of the main street inside Los Cincos del Sol, called Poncho's BackYard. It is lovely, clean with restrooms, too. At least stop for a cool drink. I don't usually eat at port (why when there is great food on ship), but always stop here for a fabulous margherita and atmosphere w/ music. Belikan Beer $1, is popular at Belize and I am sure someone on the Carnival board has made a stop at a cafe near the pier. Many just have sand floors.
Bon Voyage.
Old February 25th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Browezilla

Default Re: Re: Eating in Western Caribbean

At nice resorts the water is safe, but the general guideline is to not drink or eat anything that may have come in contact with unboiled water. The obvious is drinking the water, but some folks forget these:
- Ice
- Brushing your teeth from tap water
- Eatting anything that was cut with a knife after it was cooked. This usually gets folks at fruit stands. Only eat fruit that is still whole, and if you eat the peel (ala grapes), you should wash it in bottled water
- Fresh water lakes/waterfalls. I've seen several folks stand under a water fall and drink from it. This is a BIG no-no.

Hope this helps,
Old February 25th, 2003, 01:05 PM
hcat

What do you think abt grand Cayman food? Our excursion is to a local resort for the whole day including lunch & drinks. We do not plan to eat on shore in Cozumel or Costa maya, Thanks for reminder abt soft drinks & ice---guess my husb will go for cerveza
Old February 25th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone for the great info.

Looks like maybe I'll leave the eating for the cruise ship and just spend some quality time with a cocktail or beer on the islands. :-)

THanks again.

Dale
Old February 25th, 2003, 11:03 PM
marjmy

There are lots of great resturants in Cozumel, Pancho back yard as mentioned, Guidos great Italian resturant very unique. Primo's, Yummy Margaritas, best steak and lobsters anywhere. Also there is a place called the French quarter, has a Louisiana touch. All these and many more are very safe and delicious.
Marjorie