Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2003, 07:46 AM
Passenger

Default Chankanaab Park - Cozumel

Does anyone know if Chankanaab Park is a place that you could spend the whole day, is there enough to do, are there lockers for keeping valuables in? We are a family of four - (kids are 12 & 14).

Also thinking of bring our own snorkle gear, can these be taken into the park and is it worth it ? Besides Cozumel we are also visiting Grand Caymen and Progreso on this trip, is there any snorkling at these places without taking a guided tour?

Thanks for replying,

Clare
Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2003, 10:02 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Chankanaab Park - Cozumel

We were at Chankanaab in 2001, very beautiful! You can definitely spend the whole day there. The kids will love the beach, it 's great. My husband went snorkeling and said it was fantastic. He rented equipment, but I am sure you can bring your own.

Admission for the park was $10.00 per per person. There is a bar(maybe more than 1) and at leat one restaurant that I remember. Good food too........

And the grounds are beautiful, you can spend at least a couple of hours walking around and exploring, the kids loved that part!

If you decide to go you will not regreet it. It was about a 15 min taxi ride from the ship.

Enjoy!
Old February 26th, 2003, 02:45 PM
Doug Gunn

I echo the sentiments of Carie. When on the Pride in December, it definetely made my cruise. By the way can anyone compare Chankanaab park to Hel-ha lagoon.
Old February 26th, 2003, 04:12 PM
mlbcruiser

Default Re: Re: Chankanaab Park - Cozumel

Yes. Chankanaab is FAR better than Xel Ha for snorkeling. At least that was OUR experience. I have seen many posters on a Cancun site recomment Xel Ha, but when we were there (June) it was somewhat more murky than I expected and there were almost no colorful fish! Weren't many fish at all, actually. Not much color. Not like bright coral you see other places in full salt water. So many people in the little lagoon snorkeling area, as well. There are some cenotes (sinkholes) in the park, but I'm not sure if you are allowed to snorkel in those or not. Maybe someone else knows? Aside from that, Xel Ha is an enjoyable place. Lots of shade. You can float along in a brisk current down a "river" to the main lagoon (after walking to your "put in" point some distance away along a trail). The restaurant food is good. We ate at one that had live bright parrots on perches and were under a giant palapa. (open air) It gets very crowded, though. Lots of tour buses from Cancun and ships go there. There are lockers, showers, little beaches and chairs to sit in. Shops w/souveniers. Another thing to consider when you are one a cruise, is that Chankanaab is MUCH closer as you won't have to go to the mainland to get to it. It's just a few miles from town on Cozumel. You just hop in a cab. Snorkeling equip. is at stands along the beach. You can bring your own if you don't mind carrying it. The water is FULL of colorful fish - at least it was in March when we were there 2 yrs. ago - and has at least one resident barracuda! A bit scary when you first see him just "hanging" around! There are places to eat or get ice cream or snacks and other aspects to the park that we didn't use. Though we used to live in FL and hung around "water" for years, we never really learned to dive. My brother is an avid diver, but we just couldn't seem to find the money or time at once. So my husband went on his first try at scuba diving at Chankanaab and for about $50 got a private lesson and guided "tour", the tank and all equip. and had a WONDERFUL time! STILL talks about it and as a result will probably take lessons at a resort in Cancun in June. I would save Xel Ha for sometime when perhaps you have more time in the Yucatan. Have fun!
Old February 26th, 2003, 09:04 PM
Elisa

How long does it take to get to Chanakaab from the pier? Do we taxi? I'm trying to figure out how much time to allow to determine whether we can do the 3:30 swim leaving at 7 pm... 2 pm swim is sold out! Thanks.
Old February 27th, 2003, 09:03 AM
First Mate

Its about a fifteen min cab ride............not far at all
Old March 1st, 2003, 09:17 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Chankanaab Park - Cozumel

$50 for a private scuba lesson is a really good deal - do you remember who you went to, or if there lots to choose from in the park?
Old March 3rd, 2003, 04:46 PM
doris miller

Default Re: Re: Re: Chankanaab Park - Cozumel

It was a $20.00 cab fair and only took a few minutes, The dolphin swim is AWSOME. Definitely the highlight of my cruise. The snorkeling is okay there at the park but not great. Nice facilities. Enjoyed the tour of the ruins (reproductions). Did not attend the sea lion show. Good Luck!
Old March 12th, 2003, 09:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Does one have to make reservations for things to do at Chankanaab Park? We will be in Cozumel in September, but had thought about going diving when we arrived. I am trying to weigh all our options.

Thanks!
Old March 12th, 2003, 11:15 AM
SEB

Tracy, you will DEFINETLY need reservations if you want to do the swim with the dolphins. Everything else you can do when you get there without reservations, We (family of 5) went there last year on the Voyager. We did the dolphin swim and then did some snorkeling. Rented the gear there with no problems. BTW, the resturant by the lagoon has awesome guacomole (sp?) and chips!
Old March 15th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Beginner

Default No Subject

Post Edited (03-16-03 10:16)
Old March 16th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Beginner

OUR FAMILY (51,51,21,18) WENT TO CHANKANAAB OVER NEW YEARS 2002 ON THE NCL SUN CRUISE. YES, YOU CAN SPEND ALL DAY THERE, WE DID. YOU CAN RENT SNORKEL GEAR OR BRING YOUR OWN GEAR. SNORKELING IS GREAT, SAND IS SOFT, FOOD IS EXCELLENT, LOCKERS ARE SAFE, DRINKS ARE THE BEST.
GET THERE EARLY BECAUSE THERE ARE SAND LOUNGE CHAIRS AND UMBRELLAS TO USE FOR FREE (THE COST TO ENTER THE PARK IS $10 PER PERSON). IF YOU GET TIRED OF SITTING ON THE BEACH OR SNORKELING, YOU CAN WALK THROUGH THE WOODED AREAS WHICH IS A NICE COOL RELIEF FROM THE SUN OR JUMP ON THE BUNGEE TRAMPOLINE. THE PARK IS ONLY A 20 MIN. TAXI RIDE FROM THE DOCKS. DEFINITELY A GOOD PLACE TO BE.
Old March 30th, 2003, 11:25 AM
DGBunk

My family would really like to snorkel at our stop in Cazumel next December.

This park is offered as a shore excursion from our ship ( HAL ms Zaandam) for $49 per person which includes taxi both ways and snorkel gear with instruction.

This being our first cruise, my wife seems to think we shoud go with the excursions offered through HAL .

Any advice?
Old March 30th, 2003, 08:29 PM
trainman

Visited Chankanaab in April of 2002 on the Carnival Sensation. It was an $8 flat rate cab fare from the dock for as many as we could fit in the cab. The admission was $10 each. It was a great experience. We brought our own snorkelling equipment, but rented life jackets from the concessions there. You can use the loungers they have there and relax in the sun or shade. There was a tropical rain forest to explore and a sea lion show to take in. There is also a shallow beach for the kids and adults alike. Enjoyed the snorkelling, especially the underwater "Mayan ruin" and religious statues.
Very nice, and clean.

We did Chankanaab in the a.m., went to the ship for lunch and headed out to downtown for shopping in the p.m.
Old March 31st, 2003, 08:41 AM
DGBunk

Thank You.
I will try to talk her into doing the park on our own.