Depending on when your going, I would think about making reservations!
If it's during spring break or a holiday they could run out of jeeps(or even cars)!
You wouldn't want to be stuck with nothing to do. It would probably be to late for a tour off the ship.
Plan to get off the boat right away and head across the way from the ship (50 yards). rent your jeep and then you can get back on the ship, You will then have it rented before anyone else. We drove to a beach up the West coast (10 Minutes) and stayed on the beach for three hours. We then headed north to the lighthouse on the North end. Drive down the East coast to the natural bridge. Very scenic. A tour from the ship would cost about 70 bucks for you and a spouse each ($140). We rented the vehicle for $50 total, plus we were on OUR time.
Thanks for the tip on the rental. We try try to stay away from the crowds. Any other tips for the island? We are going the 18th of March. Off the ship at 8:30AM and back by 11:00PM. We have a lot of time. then we are off to Caruco. We have a full day there also.
On our day in Aruba (12/2001), we had reserved a jeep prior to arrival from Avis. (There at dock - we could actually see it as we were docking on the ship).
We met a couple from Belgium on board that week, so they hooked up with us for the jeep, and we ended up splitting the cost. I drove that day, and driving was no problem. (Driving on St John was much more difficult than driving on Aruba)
We spent the day in this order:
- drove to hotel strip to reserve SNUBA excurssion (our first SNUBA experience); told to be back at 1:30 for 3-hour tour for $65 per person with three stops (two snorkel, one SNUBA)
- drove out to the lighthouse on the west tip of the island and took pics
- went to see the small church overlooking the water on the north side of the island - very serene (got lost and wound up at the island's dump on the way!)
- drove to see the natural bridge and spent time there
- ate lunch at a quick place on the way back to the hotel strip
- SNUBA excurssion (lots of fun)
- replinished gas tank
- boarded ship
It was a terrific day, and we never felt rushed. We were glad we had reserved the jeep -saved us time.