Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2003, 08:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Helmet diving vs. "B.O.B." in St. Thomas

What is the difference? Helmet diving is described as wearing a large helmet like in 20,000 leagues under the sea, and B.O.B is desribed as a "breathing observation bubble" on an "underwater motor scooter." What in the world are they talking about?!? (Princess eastern caribbean cruise).

Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2003, 08:02 AM
PapBill

Default Re: Helmet diving vs. "B.O.B." in St. Thomas

Helmet diving is pretty much exactly as you described it. Helmet on your head encloses
you and you breath and walk around on the bottom, air coming via hose from above.
The BOB thing I saw done in Cozumel (they call it BOND). Think James Bond , Thunderball. Underwater moped looking thing with electric power . You are enclosed in a bubble type helmet and "drive" around at one or two MPH . In Cozumel they had a scuba diver swim nearby . They were doing it two "scooters" at a time.
Old March 4th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Yeoman

Helmet diving works fine in a controlled environment where you can walk along the bottom standing upright. Just don't bend over. Hope the pump doesn't stop. St Johns has an underwater nature trail that suits snorkelers. Not sure where they do the helmet diving. If you aren't used to being underwater, it sounds like a fairly safe, novel way to do it.
Old March 4th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Helmet diving vs. "B.O.B." in St. Thomas

Hi JJ,
We just did the "BOB" excursion in St. Thomas and its a mini sub really. We loved the trip, well worth the money.

I did post some pics here, so you can see what they are all about, here is the link:

http://www.cruise-forums.com/gallery/view.php?id=941

I understand Royal CAribbean and Celebrity are the only ones offering this neat excursion.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 5th, 2003, 12:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Helmet diving vs. "B.O.B." in St. Thom

Hi Donna,

Great pictures! I'm definitely thinking of trying this bob thing too! A quick question. How many people are on this excursion, how long do you have to play with the bob (5 min, 30 min, etc), and how deep or far out in the ocean are you? (i'm kinda scared of deep water like some people are afraid of heights.) thanks.
Old March 5th, 2003, 08:20 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Helmet diving vs. "B.O.B." in St.

Hi Patty,
You actually get to go in the Bob's for about 25 minutes, althought I will say the times does fly, you almost can't believe the time is over. They only take 4-6 at a time, every two bobs has 1 diver to help you. You are only down about 15 feet and I never felt that closed in feeling at all. Hope you do try it out. The time you wait for your group you can either just hang out on the boat or go snorkeling. We were told that they are always booked, so definitely pre-book it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 9th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Carolyn B

Default Re: Re: Re: Helmet diving vs. "B.O.B." in St. Thom

Donna,
Thanks so much for the cool pictures, you have convinced my husband and I that it's worth taking a "BOB".

Carolyn
Old March 9th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Helmet diving vs. "B.O.B." in St.

Hi Carolyn,
Just be sure to purchase an underwater camera before you leave home, the divers will take pics of you both for you. If you don't have one, they will of course sell you one for a nice price :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 9th, 2003, 06:25 PM
Yeoman

Make that a disposable underwater camera if you don't want to double the price of your cruise.

Disposables underwater cameras are a smart choice for the beach also.
Old March 9th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Helmet diving vs. "B.O.B." in St. Thomas

Hi Don,
I totally agree there, we ended up using the disposable underwater camera at beach stops too, better than taking our digital or 35mm.

Message Boards Moderator