Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 6th, 2003, 09:54 PM
TexasAnn

Default Belize "water" excursion for a non-swimmer

I'm still looking for something fun to do in Belize... has anyone done the Goff's Caye Getaway on RCCL? It says they'll pick you up right at the ship so that could be nice.

I'm a fish out of water but my fiance doesn't swim so cave tubing and the shark ray alley thing are out. I'm just looking for a nice beach to relax on.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Ann
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2003, 10:28 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Belize "water" excursion for a non-swimmer

We did the Goff Caye Snorkeling on Carnival Paradise the week of 2/23/03. There were adult non-swimmers on our tender. We first pulled up to a small island, where those who wished unloaded, and when we returned from the ocean snorkeling, the tour guide took them on a snorkeling tour from shore. However, we also had an adult non-swimmer go with us out to the ocean snorkel off the boat. I am also one of the group that was a non-confident swimmer. The tour guide had all of us wrap one of their orange boat vests around our vests before jumping into the ocean off the side of the boat. Snorkeling with these vests around our waists was uncomfortable, but it made me feel secure enough to follow the tour guide around while he showed us stuff. About half-way through the snorkeling, he said I'm going into deeper water, so if you're tired or just ready, go back to the boat, and wait there while the rest of us go into the deeper water. I with many others went back to the boat. The adult non-swimmer went into the deeper water. He was one of the last to return to the boat. I asked him how he had felt in the ocean. He said, I would never have been able to do this on my own, so I'm so grateful that they led on this adventure. It's a once in a lifetime event. Once we returned to the small island, he took the ones who had unloaded there before on a one-hour snorkeling tour right off the beach. I think everyone returned happy, except one older lady who had meant to take a shopping tour and somehow ended up on a sunny snorkeling tour. Here's some pictures, including pictures of Goff Caye Island:

http://community.webshots.com/user/judyjbest

RCL x5: Majesty of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas

Celebrity x1: Century

Princess x3: Caribbean Princess x3, Dawn Princess

NCL x1: NCL Spirit
Old March 12th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Belize "water" excursion for a non-swimmer

From what I understand, Belize isn't the "beaching" kind of place.

I cannot swim to save my life - I'm terrible. I am terrified of the water too. So, believe me when I say that you and your fiance will LOVE cave tubing!!! We went with Reggie (I'm sure there is a ton of info about him on the boards) - he met us right at our tender, we went for a van ride to the jungle (about half an hour?) and we loved him to pieces. He's delightful. We took a hike through the woods, about half an hour or so? I'm not sure.

(the good part Then you get in the water and sit in a big tube and lazily float down the river. That's it! The water is really shallow in most places. And the only scary part (sorta) was that in some parts of the caves, it's really dark (and Reggie tells everyone to turn off their lights, for "effect") and you can't see how deep the water is, you can only feel that you are in it - it might be helpful if you stay near your fiance during these times in case he feels anxious. But in the deeper places, you really have to paddle with your hands to stay moving, so it's hard to feel out of control. The only part of you that stays wet is your arms and legs, and your butt. It's really relaxing and fun, and not really dangerous for a non-swimmer at all. Plus, you have the option of wearing a life-vest, which I happily did. (Optional with Reggie, but I think the ship tour requires it).

Anyway - here's the testimonial of an anti-swimmer.