Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 6th, 2003, 11:09 PM
mlbcruiser

Default 2 ?s: Baccardi Rum Factory & Kon Tiki

Are any alcoholic beverages included in the excursion price on the Kon Tiki Tour? I was under the impression there were free Rum punches, at least, but there is no mention of this on the RCCL tour explanation.

Also, I understand the tour of the Baccardi Rum Factory in Puerto Rico is free IF you can get yourself to the factory. Anyone have any idea the cost of a cab? (Per person or per cab?)

Thanks for any info.!
Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: 2 ?s: Baccardi Rum Factory & Kon Tiki

Its a show just to watch the people get off of the Kon Tiki "rum" boat party boat. The punch they serve is something like 150 proof rum in it. Buyer be aware.
You can take a water ferry/taxi not far from the docks in old San Juan to the island where the Bacardi Factory is located. A taxi cab might be very expensive, as it is pretty far from downtown. Also, they used to shut down for lunch, so make sure your schedule factors in a 2 hour mid day break. Get a copy of Que Pasa, as soon as you get to San Juan or write for one if you have time.
Bon Voyage
Old March 8th, 2003, 09:56 PM
TexasAnn

Default Re: 2 ?s: Baccardi Rum Factory & Kon Tiki

mlbcruiser... this is JUST TOTALLY MY OPINION!!!
But I just had to weigh in on the Bacardi tour... I don't really think it was worth the effort.
It took us forever to get there, in really bad traffic. The factory itself is really pretty, very green and has some amazing architecture. But the tour itself was nothing exciting.

We were sent to sit in a covered pavillion and given two tickets to get two free Bacardi rum drinks while we waited. Then they called us to board a little open air tram, which drove around the grounds. The guide pointed out things along the way like a stand of sugar cain, a fake little burro and wagon, some rusty pots and stuff. He also pointed out a couple of giant silos where he said rum is stored to age.

We then went into a room that totally smelled bad to look at bottles of different alcohol produced by Bacardi in little glass cases. Then we went to another room where we saw a photo exhibit on the way showing how rum is made. We got on the tram again and went to a museum of sorts, that had stands of photos of people, and a couple of old bottles and then we exited through the bottling room, where the workers were standing around drinking orange sodas. They dropped us off at the gift shop -- we bought some tshirts then got back on the bus for the long ride back to the pier.

I must admit, the little museum had a couple of stand out things -- like a Waterford Crystal Bacardi bottle... but after touring vineyards and wineries in California, I thought I'd see a lot more "real" stuff rather than photos.

Again... just my opinion. I'm sure others have toured the place and thought it was wonderful.

Ann