Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Christi

Default Too much to choose from!!

Ok, I've been reading until I'm blind on where to go and where NOT to go on my Western Carrib cruise in the Fall. I here ya loud and clear on Stingray City in the Grand Cayman's (SW City tour or just the sandbar tour do you think?) And how do you pick the Cap'tns I keep reading about (Brian??) or does the cruiseline choose them for you since you are the tour with them? Do you think Sept. will be LESS crowded than other months for the Stingwrays?

Montego Bay...don't see much to do here except take the Wet and Wild Party Cruise that stops off at Margueritaville/wild slide/ etc...is this just a disgusting free for all of drunks or is it really a "worth it" party of dancing and drinking? I read one review where one woman said it was just a bunch of drunks vomiting everywhere??? Don't think I'm interested in that.

I hear we should stop off at Carlo's and Charlies,but I don't know which port it is? Should we just walk from the boat or do you have to get a cab??

Cozumel....Once again, Fiesta Party Boat tour...stops off at Playa Sol beach club (worth going to???). or should we just skip all that and take the tender to Passion Island which takes you to Bahia Ciega pier and beach??

The Mayan Frontier by Horseback....is this worth doing or is it lame with lame horses? We want a real adventure on horseback (we own horses) or do they just lead you around in circles by the reins and endlessly take you no where??

WOW...hope I can get some answers out of all this. Sorry it was so long. I just don't want to waste my time anywhere (I'm sure no one does!)

Thanks for all your advise....AR, Jim, MOB, Gary....help me out!!! You always have something to say....

CQ
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Too much to choose from!!

i know, i know it can be overwhelming, so take a deep breath and here are some of my personal favorite suggestions:
Grand Caymen - personally i loved Captain Marvin's Tour - you can book it on line at their web site (same as the name)- a 2-3 hour tour is great. Don't botheer booking a city tour, not worth it. Other options: Turtle Farm or many of the nice beaches,

Jamacia - your info is correct its a booze cruise- so much more to Jamacia than Mauqueritaville etc. I would definately book a tour in Jamacia - do a Dunns River Falls & Beach type tour - great fun climbing the falls. or for something very relaxing, take a river rafting tour - very peacful, you sit on a long bamboo raft, and your boatman gently poles your raft down the river - very scenic.

Cozumel - if you like to snorkel - this is the place - book a dive tour to the Palencaar Reef- amazing. Haven't been to Playa - have heard good things, another option is to spend the day at Chauunkaab National Park - beach, swimming, snorkeling, Dolphin Swin -(you can get there by taxi)

Carlos"N" Charlies - Cozumel - right on the main street.
Old March 12th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Christi

Default Re: Re: Too much to choose from!!

LisaK, thanks for all the great info and for making things seem much less overwhelming.

Question? Why book thru Capt'n Marvins instead of thru Carnival? I see on my Carnival tour sheet that there is the Cockatoo Sailing and Stingray tour and then the Stingray Sandbar tour. I think the only difference b/t the two is that the Cockatoo one takes you out on a catamaran....anyway, will there be a big diff b/t either of these by Carnival and booking on web with Cap marvins??

Christi
Old March 12th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Admiral

its all about the money, honey.......... If you book direct through Captain Marvins you will save quite a bit of money, the cruise ship has to pay the tour operator and make a profit themselves. Glad to help, anything else???
Old March 12th, 2003, 01:44 PM
SpTrout

Christi,

I see you mentioned Passion Island on Cozumel. Passion Island is a private beach only accessible via tours. My wife and I did the Passion Island Tour in January and it was a nice escape from the crowds (11 ships in port the day we visited), but overall I will give it a so-so rating. The beach was very nice, but the food was, at best, OK. A lot of room on the beach, plenty of chairs, and the restrooms were acceptable.
Old March 13th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Christi

Default Re: Re: Too much to choose from!!

Ok LisaK, I will check out Captain Marvins website and see the difference in cost. How in the heck do you find them at the port?? Or do they come and get you at the ship??