Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to kopp66 Send a message via MSN to kopp66
Default river rafting in jamacia

Has anyone gone on the Martha Brae river rafting excursion? i have been to Dunn's river falls before and wanted something a little different. Just wondering if this is worth it or should we maybe just spend the majority of the day lounging on board. We are going on RCI- NOS 9/6/03.

Post Edited (03-10-03 11:11)
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Default Re: river rafting in jamacia

do it, its a great excursion, very relaxing, very peacfull, you get a real taste of everyday life on the island.
Old March 10th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to kopp66 Send a message via MSN to kopp66
Default Re: Re: river rafting in jamacia

Thanks Lisa that is just what I was looking for!!
Old March 12th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Admiral

glad to be of some help. Its a great trip.
Old March 12th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: river rafting in jamacia

The cruise down the river is fun. You really appreciate how green Jamaica is. The drive up there is interesting as you get to see the "real Jamaica". Take some bug repellant with you and spray yourself as soon as you get off the bus. The mosquitoes can get nasty especially after it rained. Don't let that stop you from taking the trip.
Old March 12th, 2003, 02:45 PM
Yeoman

WE went river rafting in Montego Bay. Not that specific excursion. I agree with Lisa though - very relaxing. The guides are very informative about the flora and fauna and try hard to please (hoping for a better tip). We really enjoyed our excursion!
Old March 12th, 2003, 10:15 PM
jack2

Are children allowed on the river raft excursion??
Old March 13th, 2003, 09:56 AM
Admiral

check your excursion brochure the age limits and requirements should be listed there. The bug repellent is an excellent idea, and don't forget the sunscreen too.
Old March 15th, 2003, 08:32 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Debbie Dean

We did the Martha Brae last year. I have to agree that it is worth doing. I enjoyed it more than Dunn's River. However, expect a BIG push for tips. The raft pilots will show you various crafts they make ("a gift") and tell you they are worth $15 or $20. You then pay what you think it is worth. We paid him $20! Another couple gave the guy $1! So be prepared! On top of that, they will want a tip. It was an experience I will never forget!
Old April 9th, 2003, 01:44 PM
PetiteChat

I wish we had known about all the folks looking for tips on this excursion. It didn't spoil the trip, but we knew we needed to tip the driver and tour guide at the end so we couldn't afford to give out tips to every person offering a handmade trinket etc. At the end we had to tell the photo takers we didn't want our souvenir photo because we did not bring along enough cash. It was a little disconcerting. But the Jamaicans were very nice about everything. And the trip is peaceful and relaxing.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 01:42 PM
Susan Shipe

My husband and i took the Martha Brae raft trip just in February. It was an excursion we booked from our cruise on Holland America. The trip was beautiful, serene and relaxing. My husband even took a part of the time poling the raft himself while James (the poler) sat and carved his walabash. I was mildly disappointed in the number of jamacians selling trinkets, beverages, etc. around every 200 yards, however it would not deter me from recommending this excursion. Do allow the extra $10.00 to purchase the snapshot, in addition to the tips. We had lots of fun!.