Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2003, 06:04 PM
First Mate

Default Need advice on E. Carrib Cruise for '04

Hi,

We just returned from our worst and last Carnival cruise on Sensation W. Carrib., sub-standard service, so-so food, didn't make Gr. Caymen port, etc., etc.

Planning next year's cruise and want it to be special for hubby's 40th BD. We liked Carnival Elation for size of the cabins plus that was a beautiful ship and service was stellar and food very good. Hubby does not want to do Carnival again based on our bad recent experience. So looking for another cruise line, we'll be travelling with our two boys who will then be 6 and 4 yrs old. We like the Eastern Carrib.

So what's your favorite cruiseline?

Margie
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Need advice on E. Carrib Cruise for '04

Hi,
You may want to check out any of Royal Caribbean's "Voyager" class ships for traveling with your 2 kids. They have a wonderful kids program and special activities. There are parades onboard as well as an awesome Ice Show, you don't want to miss. These ships are especially great for traveling with groups, families, friends. So much to do and see onboard alone. We've done Explorer and are already booked on Voyager for next Feb.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 12th, 2003, 07:42 AM
Admiral

i agree with Donna on the Voyager Class Ships, you might also want to consider Princess - Grand or Golden.
Old March 12th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Admiral

With two kids you might want to check out Disney.
Old June 28th, 2003, 12:05 PM
marina

my mother and i were on the carnival destiny may of 2003, the ship was too big, food was ho hum, stinky at lower rooms.......no one watching kids etc... the jubilee was fun, smaller ship....why anyone would take kids on a cruise? try disney
Old June 28th, 2003, 06:04 PM
Browezilla

I agree with the Voyager-class recommendation. I've cruised RCCL, Princess, Celebrity, and Carnival, and RCCL's Voyager-class is the best to me by far. The ships, from oldest to newest are: Voyager, Explorer, Adventure, Navigator, and in November Mariner. The children's program is excellent. The only line that I think that may top their children's program is Disney, but I'm not convinced that they do, having not sailed on Disney yet.
Old June 28th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Need advice on E. Carrib Cruise for '04

I have sailed on Disney 4 times & am planning to go again next May. We are a 50yr old couple & have travelled with 2 other couples..all of us without children so we don't have first hand experience on the children's programs, however, my brother has a 5yr old & i am convinced that this would be the perfect vacation for them. We have older teenagers & don't think that the Disney Cruise is right for their age & have opted for the Voyager of the Seas for our family cruise in December. However if our kids were smaller i think the Disney ships would be our choice. They get a "Disney experience" without all of the hassles of the parks..long lines,,shlepping..etc plus there are plenty of adult areas where kids aren't permitted. There's plenty of character appearances & lots of family Disney shows that can be enjoyed by "almost" everyone..& the cabins are enormous. the outside cabins on the lower decks as well as some of the inside cabins even have 1 & a half baths & a sofa bed..You should check it out!
Old August 2nd, 2003, 01:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Justine Send a message via Yahoo to Justine

Why not try the new Princess hip the Caribbean Princess. It starts out on April 17th ( i think ) and alternates eastern and western caribbean. We have also done Carnival (3 times ) and once on Princess, and what a huge difference there was. We will be on the new Princess in May, maybe you'll see us!
Old August 9th, 2003, 08:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Need advice on E. Carrib Cruise for '04

I resent the kids comment - I like taking my kids on vacation to experience new places, but they also enjoy the Carnival Kids Club, for independence of their own. I also have nobody to watch them for a week, but regardless, I'd take them. I'd miss them.
Cruises are not just for adults, and I've heard good and bad about Disney, and they are very expensive.

We have friends who took their 16 year old on a cruise, and his behavior was worse than younger kids. I don't let mine run wild.
Old August 9th, 2003, 01:28 PM
hopeful

workinmomof3 -

It's just different strokes for different folks. Every person in this world is unique.

Some people view cruising as a way of relaxation, peace, quiet, etc. Some people work with 200 children 8-10 hours a day for 10+ months out of the year and view vacation as "time away from kids". Others are done raising their children, grandchildren, and whoever else - and want a vacation for "adults". And yet others cannot have children to share those wonderful travel experiences with, and it breaks their hearts to be surrounded with 700 kids when they can't seem to have a single child of their own.

Maybe one of those was Marina's point. And also maybe there's a reason some cruiselines work very hard to develop their children's activities, and others are ho-hum about the children's activities and focus more on a different age group. They market to different age groups.

On the flip side, you have some very good points for enriching well-behaved children with cruises.