Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2003, 11:24 AM
Cindy lou who

Default Stingray City Catamaran-AWESOME!!!

We just used these guys on our cruise and I wanted to write a report to pass on a good tip. These guys are really great. It was only $34 for us parents and $20 for our kids and it was a 4 hr trip with stingray city and two other snorkeling sites and the boat was wonderful. THe catamaran is huge, around 50ft I think and we only had about 18 people on it. Definitely a great deal and a wonderful experience. There is a nice enclosed area that is fully shaded and roomy deck for sunbathing and a bathroom on board, an added comfort especially when you have kids. I would suggest that you bring some snacks for the kids and we brought drinks too, hubby even grabbed a 6-pack :-) Next time I want some rum and tropical fruit juice!!!! When in Rome.......

You can find them online at ...URL Deleted as this could be considered advertising...
Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Stingray City Catamaran-AWESOME!!!

Do you think this would be okay for a 3 yr old? I am afraid she will fall off! Thanks!
Old March 28th, 2003, 02:16 AM
DAC

I can't tell you how glad I was to read your post! I've been searching everywhere trying to find someone that had used this company. We want to book with them because they sound great but I couldn't find anyone that had used them before.

Was the crew nice? How were the snorkeling stops? Did you feel like it was the "right" amount of time...not to short not to long on the boat? We will have our 9 year old with us but he is used to all day boat trips on our boat so i'm not too worried about him.

Did the trip leave from 7 mile beach? Did you have time to do anything after the boat trip?

Thanks again for posting your review of this boat!

DAC
Old March 28th, 2003, 09:29 AM
Admiral

i personally love Catamaran's - have heard really good things about this company.
Angela - just make sure your little on has on a life jacket- if you feel the need you can get one of those kid type leashes (for lack of a better word) and have her attached to either you or her Dad.
Old March 28th, 2003, 09:56 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to CINDY LOU

I'm sure your three year old will be fine, I have a crazy almost 4 year old boy that I was worried about. I sat with him in the enclosed area at first to keep him from running around as I was worried too. After the first stop, we ended up sitting out on the deck and he was fine. He fell asleep at one point when we were sailing, the motion is so relaxing it lulled him to sleep:-) He uses a swim belt so I had that on him.

4hrs is perfect, there was no rush at any of the stops, Coral gardens, a spot by the Reef and stingray city. Great crew, nice guy named Bert helped us with fitting our masks. The Captain even played the guitar for a while:-)
Old March 28th, 2003, 03:31 PM
LdyDDS2

Default Re: Re: Stingray City Catamaran-AWESOME!!!

How far (time wise) is this from the port? Do they pick you up? About how much time do you end up sailing for? Did you still have time to hang out in the town/beach afterward? We will be on the Conquest.
Old March 28th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Cindy lou who

We took a cab, right from the terminal, $3 a person. Showed the directions that were on our confirmation to the driver and we were there in abou 10-15 minutes. It was great!! I was happy to get out of the main town quickly cuz it was packed with line ups all over and buses. Cab was so easy and no real line ups for once!
Old March 29th, 2003, 01:35 AM
DAC

Cindy lou
When did you guys go on your cruise? Caymanislandsdiscounts said they just added the excursion so I'm wondering if you were one of the first to use them!

Did you have time to do much afterwards? What did you do, did you shop, go to the beach or just go back to the ship?
DAC
Old March 29th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Cindy lou who

We got back last week, we were on the Enchantment of the seas, we were in Cayman on Friday a week ago. We actually booked the trip the day before we left..talk about last minute!

We went back to George town to shop, hubby wanted cigars and the is a Casa Del Habano there..neat place. We had loads of time,we were in port until 5:30 then tendered back to the ship.
Old April 12th, 2003, 08:34 PM
LdyDDS2

Since this excursion falls into lunch time...did they provide enough snacks to fill you up? Was 4 hrs. in the sun too much? Do you think we would miss a lot if we took a tour that did not include the coral reef?
Old April 13th, 2003, 11:31 AM
BahamaMama

We did this trip too and it was great!! No they don't provide lunch but they tell you to bring snacks and drinks. We brought munchies and a 6 Schmirinoff Ice(My fav) and it was awesome. 4 hours was fabulous as we sailed there and then got in and had plenty of time at each location. I noticed a lot of boats arriving to Stingray City after us and leaving fairly quickly and we got to take our time. I can't imagine what its like on some of the packed boats as it seemed to take them a long time to get everyone off the boats and then it seemed that as soon as they were in the water, a whistle blew and they were trying to quickly get back on.

Coral Gardens and the stop at the reef were both great, the clarity of the water was astounding. BTW, there is a nice shaded area if you want to get out of the sun and a bathroom/head
Old April 14th, 2003, 06:25 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Barbaralee

Are all catamarans the same in that the steps drop down into the water or do you need to go down a ladder on some? Bad knees are a problem but the ones I've been on have the drop-down steps. Granted, going down the ladder is ok-its painful sometimes going back up! any info would be appreciated.
Old April 14th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Madame Sharon

If you book through this company and, for whatever reason, the cruise ship cannot make port, does the company refund your money? I've got a friend on the Celebrity Century, and he said they had to skip Grand Cayman the last couple times out because of weather. Thanks for the info....Sharon
Old April 15th, 2003, 12:17 AM
DAC

Sharon,
Here are the answers they gave me when I asked the same question, what is the cancellation policy.....

"Our cancellation policy provides a guarentee that we will fully refund your deposit if your ship does not come into to Grand Cayman or if the excursion is cancelled due to inclement weather.Additionally you can cancel up to two weeks prior to the excursion date."

I had also asked where the boat took off from:

"The dock is located about 1/2 mile off of West Bay Rd (the main rd that runs along 7 Mile Beach).The Hyatt is located on the oposite side of the canal. You could walk up to this main rd as the beach is located on the oposite side, or have a taxi drop you off along the beach."

Hope this helps. We have reserved them, but won't use them until December. Hopefully we'll get some more feedback from people before then.

Dac
Old April 22nd, 2003, 03:18 PM
Aimee-WV

Be very careful with Stingray City Catamaran, Snorklers Dream, Captain Crosby. We used him on 4/17/03. Our ship time was 1hr. ahead of Grand Cayman time. We had to catch our last tender at 3:30 ship time. We arrived in plenty of time and took off for the excursion on time and probably had only around 20 on board. Went to Stingray City and joined all the other boats already there. We were anchored out pretty far and had to jump off the side of the boat (pretty high up) and then swim to the sand bar. The Stingrays were awesome. They were amazing and really enjoyed seeing them. We then had to swim back to the boat. We then went to a coral reef for snorkeling. It was very beautiful (my first time). We left there and didn’t go to the 3rd place we were supposed to (which was OK by me). Captain Crosby then put up the sail and got out his guitar and began to sing. We are at least 45-60min from our port and it is after 1:00pm. Starting to get nervous. My husband asked if we could head in as we had to catch the tender to the ship and he proceeded to say “no problem, plenty of time” and continued to play. Finally after a third person asked to head in Captain Crosby RELUCTANTLY put away the guitar and started up the engines (he already had our money so not sure why he didn’t want to bring us in when everyone on the boat wanted to come in). We had him call our cab driver (he had given us a card when he dropped us off) about 10min before we docked. We finally docked around 2:30pm our time (1/2hr ahead of the regular schedule). We had to wait for the cab (there were two other groups waiting on a cab when ours showed up). We finally made it back to the dock around 3:00pm. Much traffic!! I assume the other two groups made it. It was very nerve racking wondering if we would make it back. Would not use them again due to the time constraints and just not that happy with them.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 10:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Stingray City Catamaran-AWESOME!!!

I was wonderng if those of you who have been on this tour could tell me a few things. One thing that I am very scared about it the time constraint. We dock at 7:30 and leave at 4:00. Now from what I understand, the cruise time is one hour later than Grand Cayman time? You will have to forgive me, I am a first time cruiser and am not very familiar with a lot of these things. Do we have enough time to do this tour without freaking out about time?

Thanks for your input,

Kristine
Old April 23rd, 2003, 11:08 AM
Aimee-WV

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Stingray City Catamaran-AWESOME!!!

If your ship leaves at 4:00 they will tell you the last tender runs 3:30-3:45. The tour will be over at 2:00 Island time which will be 3:00 ship time which will leave only 30-45min to find a cab and get back to the tender dock. It isn't a very long cab ride but there is a lot of traffic and the dock access for the excursion is off the main road about 1mile. I was very nervous. If I had it to do over, I would have done Nativeway. I didn't realize the time difference and thought that tour started too early for us to make the 1st couple of tenders off the boat but had a whole extra hour I didn't account for as we just went thru daylight savings the weekend before. We were 1st time cruisers also and the stingrays were awesome and made the whole trip worth it.
Old April 27th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Jarrett

You will be fine with the time, we did this trip two weeks ago and got back for our 4pm. We played it safe though, we actually talked to the taxi that dropped us off and asked him to pick us up to take us back to the ship so we didn't even have to wait. He was there right at 2pm at the end of the trip and he whisked us back to town. I even had time to buy a rum cake before we got back on the cruise ship.
Old April 27th, 2003, 08:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you so much! I feel alot better now and I will take your advice on the taxi idea. By the way....how did you like the trip?
Old May 4th, 2003, 07:14 PM
Jarrett

The trip was cool! We did some great snorkeling, saw amazing fish and some in our group saw an eel...I somehow managed to miss it though:-)

The stingrays are really not shy at all, they are like puppy dogs, they come right up to you and you can pet them. Its an amazing experience.

The trip was really nice, we had about 18 on board and we had quite a bit of time at each snorkeling place. The captain even played a guitar for a while on the way back...a little corny but everyone seemed to enjoy it ..We brought a few beers so we kicked back and enjoyed the sail. I'm sure you'll have a good time, everyone did on our trip!
Old May 14th, 2003, 11:36 PM
Steve Tersh

I too was worried about the time constraint in Grand Cayman. I have heard from my TA as well as Celebrity themselves that your cruise itinerary should be in local island time. Thus my departure from Port Everglades is 4:30 EST, however my island stops are in the local time zone of the particular island. So if my itinerary states arrival in Grand Cayman 7:00am, then that is the CST or local Cayman time. I guess Celebrity tries to make it easy for us. Is this not the case with other cruiselines?

Steve
Old May 15th, 2003, 01:11 PM
First Mate

was it island marketing that you used? is it hard to get back on the boat from the water? I need a boat that has easy access on and off so you don't have to haul youself out of the water.
Old May 15th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Passenger

ReadytoGo,

I used *****************This is going to be my 1st time, so I don't know about eady access in & out.

Steve T