Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2003, 08:21 PM
grace

Default Can I just go to the different attractions on GC myself by t

My friends and I booked a stingray city tour that will last for approx 2 1/2 hours. That gives us about 4 hours to sight see. Can we vist the turtle farm, hell, 7 mile beach, or the blowholes ourselves? Or do we have to book another tour? We are willing to go by taxi or walk....is this possible? Any advise is appreciated! Thanks in advanced....
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Can I just go to the different attractions on GC myself

When I was in Grand Cayman after stingray city we asked the Bus Driver to drop us off on 7 mile beach and they did (reluctently). We then found a place that would let us use it's beach for a small fee ($2.00?). They had a bar and a beautiful beach. 7 mile beach is exactly what it says it is a 7 mile beach. Everything in GC is expensive. Drinks were $7.00, even the McDonalds was outrageous! I didn't hear about the turtle place when I was there! But Stingray City is a must. If your looking for lot's of fun on Cozemel, I highly reccomend Mr. Sanchez's Beach! A day of margarita's and sun at it's best. Great Beach, pool, bar, shops, etc.

Have a great time!

Kay

Old April 15th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Yes

The Cayman islands have one of the highest standards of living among all the caribbeah islands. Probably the safest as well, and expensive. Shopping is great, buying the stuff is a poor choice.

Tour by taxi is a great way to get a personalized experience, see just what you want, and go at your own pace. Just be sure to read some guide books before you go so that you will know what there is to see. There may be something that interests you that you won't hear about for just reading a message board. Be informed.

Seven mile beach is really nice, can be expensive to eat there, and really is only a little less than 5 miles. It is where all the high rise hotels are.

In my opinion, the real beauty of the Cayman Islands is to be found underwater. Do a discover scuba activity there.

here are some links to other excursion vendors;
http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/

[url]http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/[/url[

http://www.shoretrips.com/common/search2.asp?rcode=CAR

hope this helps
Old April 15th, 2003, 10:28 AM
MichelleM

Grand Cayman is a very nice island. I would have no hesitation of doing an indepentant day there. We took a tour the first time we were there and the bus driver told our group that everyone in the Cayman's has to have a job. If they are not employeed (or retired or a student) they can't live there. So you aren't going to see the begging homeless you see on other islands.

The places you want to go are a bit too far to walk to. There are posted cab prices at the dock where you get off the tenders and there are waiting cabs.

Everything is a bit more expensive there because their dollar is stronger then the US$. The exchange rate is about $1.50US is worth $1Cayman.
Old April 15th, 2003, 05:10 PM
grace

Thanks so much for the positive feedback! So it sounds like we will have enough time to tour the island ourselves by taxi....so what are the average rates for a taxi? If we get dropped off at 7-mile beach then take a taxi to the turtle farm and hell? Does anyone know how to get a map of the island? Also, if we wanted to visit a beach other than the 7 mile beach....where should we go? The three of us are between the ages of 23/24.

Thanks!
Grace
Old April 15th, 2003, 11:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just use http://www.google.com

Type in Map+grand+cayman

You will get a page like this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=map%2...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Here is another link with a good map:

http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/cy/wcmap.shtml

and here is a map from the first google search

Old April 16th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Admiral

one more note- Personally don't waste your precious time in Caymen trying to get to Hell - the attraction is the post office where you can send a postcard from Hell. The turtle farm is great for kids, a bit of a snore for adults.
Old April 16th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Can I just go to the different attractions on GC mys

Grace,

who did you book your stingray tour thru?? we went with Captain Marvin, and they dropped us off afterward at 7 mile beach with no problem at all, in fact they offered. We actually could have walked had we wanted to -- it was right across the street. We then took a taxi back... If i remember correctly it was like $3 per person? But dont' hold me to that. The other neat thing about Captain Marvin's was in their office (which is walking distance from the pier) they had the most gorgeous sea glass and sterling silver jewelry. And it was cheap!! I got a really pretty bracelet there, and it had little turtle, shell & dolphin sterling silver charms alternatiing with seaglass... for $32!! Other than that, everything there was super spendy!!!

Have a great time when you go!