Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Robieroo

Default Sting ray city or aquaboat to Sandy Cay?

My husband and I leave in three weeks (YES!) and are trying to decide if we should go to sting ray city (I've read on other threads that it is very crowded, but we've never swam with sting rays before) or rent our own aqua boat and snorkeling equipment and drive to Sandy Cay, Smith's cove and a stop at the Cali shipwreck. This is a shore excursion offered through RCCI and is $79.00 per person...is it possible to do this same tour without booking through the ship? Which do you recommend, Sting Ray City or this tour?
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2003, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Sting ray city or aquaboat to Sandy Cay?

Sting Ray City can get a bit crowded,later in the day, go on an early trip and you should have no problem. If you have a good captain he will find you a good spot to be with the stingrays. You really don't swim with the rays, you stand on the sandbar in water about 4' deep and the rays will swim all around you. You can feed them if you like. Its an amazing experience.
Old April 7th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Sting ray city or aquaboat to Sandy Cay?

Hi Ribieroo,
You can also book a snorkeling tour independently, have heard good things about this company, you may want to check that out too:

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

Just make sure you do take a trip to Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman, its a once in a life time expierence, have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 13th, 2003, 10:17 PM
scottd

Default Re: Re: Sting ray city or aquaboat to Sandy Cay?

Just got back from our cruise and I agree that you shouldn't miss sting ray city. We booked with Capt Marvin and could not have been happier with all involved from shuttle driver to our guides. Our small group (about 15) were taken to the reef for an extended snorkel and then taken to the sandbar for the rays. I swear the rays act just like house cats . They rub up against you, swim between your legs and wind themselves between you and others. The intitial shrieks of shock soon turn into squeals of delight. I will absolutely do this again the next time I am on Grand Cayman.