Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2003, 02:47 AM
Monica2003

Default How to get to the Baths from St. Thomas?

Hello all! I am cruising into St. Thomas at 7AM and we spend the day there, leaving at 4:30PM. My problem is, I really, really want to go to Virgin Gorda and snorkel at the Baths and the cruiseline we are on doesn't offer an excursion for that.
Is it possible for us to book our own excursion with a company in St. Thomas? Have any of you ever done this? Is there enough time for us to do this?
I'd really like to get back in time to do a bit of shopping before reboarding the ship, but not sure if that is even a possibility.
Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Mo
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2003, 06:13 AM
Passenger

Default Re: How to get to the Baths from St. Thomas?

I think you might have some difficulty with this. I don't know of any public transportation or excursion that goes directly there. It is on a different island, within the British Virgin Islands, not the U.S., and quite a distance from St. Thomas. I truly doubt you would have enough time, even if you could find the transportation. There are wonderful beaches on St. Thomas, though: we loved Sapphire Bay. How about leaving The Baths as an excuse to go back for another trip! (I always try this kind of thing on my husband...)
Old May 13th, 2003, 07:42 AM
Admiral

Mo, I believe you would be pushing the envelope a bit to get this done. You would need to take a ferry to Tortola from St Thomas, clear customs in Tortola on the West End and then take the ferry or a cab into Roadtown, Then get on a ferry to Virgin Gorda and take a cab to the Baths. Of course you would then have to reverse this to get back.
They are great and in 13 days I will be snorkelling there myself, but, it is not worth the effort you would need to put out to get there from St Thomas..
Go snorkelling at Coki Beach or Saphire Beach in St Thomas or take a snorkel tour (or
on your own) to St John. The snorkelling will be just as good or better than the Baths.
The Baths and Devils Bay Beach are a great experience but not worth the kind of effort.
The beaches of St Thomas and St John are just as nice or nicer. Save the Baths for that
seperate BVI vacation (like we did last year) and make it part of an overall Virgin Gorda /Tortola etc. experience.
Old May 28th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Cookie

The BATHS are one of my favorite places however I agree with the above messages that say you're pushing the envelope trying to get there from St. Thomas. Just the idea of going from the US Virgin Islands to the British Virgin Islands could be a problem. Try booking another cruise (whoppee) that takes in Tortola - then you can go! Enjoy your trip!
Old May 30th, 2003, 08:15 AM
MichelleM

The Jubilee is going to start calling on Tortola when she switches to the southern Caribbean in september.

I agree with everyone else, you would probably miss the boat if you tried this. Better to wait for the next time.
Old June 5th, 2003, 08:30 PM
Monica2003

Thank you for the responses! We decided to skip the Baths (yep, have to plan another trip, darn! lol) and we went to St. John and snorkeled at Trunk Bay. All in all, it was a great time.
Thanks again, I'll post again when the next trip is in order.
Old June 12th, 2003, 12:17 PM
AmyE

I will be in Tortola from 7am - 2pm, will I have enough time to get to The Baths and have time to enjoy them before having to head back to the ship?
Old June 12th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Admiral

Take the ship's excursion and do the early one (745am) you will get there and have several hours to explore around , swim, snorkel, climb the rocks etc. Crowd doubles when the second (later) excursion gets there) After you walk back to the top of the hill go to Mad Dogs (stand alone beach bar in parking lot) and have the best Pina Colada you've ever had.
Old June 24th, 2003, 10:46 PM
SSinCT

Default Re: Re: How to get to the Baths from St. Thomas?

You sound you like really know the area well! I need advice. All I want to do is take my husband, self and daughter whom is nearly 5 to St. John sailing/beach excursion. It is my 40th the day our Disney ship docks so I want to do the trip nicely and conveniently.

So far I am hitting deadends! Disney neglected to say that she had to be 5 years old by the date of the cruise to go their excursions (even though I repeatedly asked their reps about what to do for shore excursions with her prior to booking...). Now I have tried to outher operators and neither offers St. John. I use to do marketing for Sapphire Beach and Point Pleasant and do not wish to do go St. Thomas beaches... any ideas? I just don't want to worry all day that we will miss the cruise if the ferry is slow, late...what a way to ruin a day a birthday!

Thanks!