Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2003, 12:47 PM
Passenger

Default Grand Cayman Sting Ray City tours???

Can anyone give me advice on who to go with? I am not too much sold on Capt. Marvin or Capt. Bryan. Any info on the others? ANyone heard of Cayman Delight Cruises? They have a nice 1/2 day tour 9-1pm 3 stops & lunch all for $38.pp 1/2 for kids. Sounds too good to be true. Thats why I need advice...
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Grand Cayman Sting Ray City tours???

Not familiar with Caymen Delight Cruises. Speaking from personal experience Captain Marvin's tours are wonderful. I have heard that some of the other less known tours tend to be very crowded like herding cattle
Old May 22nd, 2003, 02:39 PM
TimT

Default Re: Re: Grand Cayman Sting Ray City tours???

Hi! My wife and I went on Captain Marv's two-hour Stingray City tour off of the Triumph on Apr. 9th. I had booked this over the internet for $34.00 pp.

It was a great tour, approx. 20 people on a large cabin-cruiser. Informative guide, clean and modern snorkelling equipment, bottled water or punch on board, etc.

The boat stopped at a reef for 20 minutes of snorkelling for those who wanted to, and then moved on to Stingray City, which is as spectacular as everyone says. My wife who is extremely wary of water enjoyed it immensely, as did all others on the boat.

Each adult on the tour got a free small rum-cake, and 10% off in the gift shop, which was not over-priced.

Bear in mind that the Cayman's are one hour behind ship time--so an 11am departure is 12 noon ship time. You will not come back from this tour until about 2:30 ship time, which only gives you 1 hr. to catch the tender back to the ship (if the last one departs @ 3:30 p ship time. So do your other sight-seeing in the early morning.

PS: Don't save your shopping for GC--it is very expensive, and their dollar is higher than the US. Buy a couple rum cakes, they are great.

Have a great time, Tim
Old May 23rd, 2003, 10:36 PM
Passenger

We used Stingray City Charters & got a great internet rate - seemed like it was about half price of the others -- and were very happy. Went to Stingray City & 2 other stops. There were about 15 on our boat, not too crowded, & we had a great time. The extras we got were fresh water, soda & a fresh water shower. Someone was there to take digital pictures of us at Stingray City & we could see them on the way back. Of course, they were good & we ordered a couple. The CD came in about 2 weeks & we were able to print them out fine.

Stingray City Charters picked us up right across from Cap't Marvins. Heard great things about them & Cap't Brian, too. But we really liked ours, not crowded & seemed much less expensive & no trouble doing it over the internet.

Next time I would be interested in trying a catamaran. There was a huge one docked right about where we took off (actually I think they said it was a "trimaron") & looked like it would be a lot of fun.

Have a great time.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 11:04 PM
Mtrout

go to nativeway.com
They have been incredibly responsive (and inexpensive) and have been highly recommended. We leave on 6/1 and will post a review upon return.
Old May 26th, 2003, 07:27 PM
roxy

I just got back from Grand Cayman and did the stingray tour with Capt. Marvin's. We were so glad we booked with them after we saw the other charters that were sardine packed with people! The people were very friendly and informative and a person goes down with you to make a video of your exerience. Since there were only about 8 people on our charter we got to know them which made the video more fun to watch. Also, Capt Marvin offers an early tour at 8:30 and (9:30 ship time) so we had plenty of time to shop around after the tour. We had a blast and will book with them again in a heart beat! If you're still unsure, there will be people standing by the pier offering stingray city tours for really cheap, but you never know how crowded their charters will be or what type of service you'll receive. Oh and you get a free rum cake after and you just have to walk to Capt. Marvin's you don't need to waste your money on a taxi...it's that close.
Old May 26th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Passenger

hi - we just got back from our cruise and went on this tour - it was ok. not perfect but we had a good time. since it is such a good price there are trade offs - make sure you take your own water or something to drink - they had some but it tasted awful and ran out quickly. they were very nice and we saw all 3 stops, they actually are within 100 yards or so from each other. we were a bit rushed because of the time change - ship time is 1 hour later than cayman time so we got back just in time to leave on our ship - any more questions just email me -
Old May 31st, 2003, 06:24 PM
Passenger

On our most recent trip to Grand Cayman we made a reservation for the six of us with Soto's Cruises for $19 US pp. It sounded too cheap, but it turned out to be a wonderful trip, much better than when we booked through the ship for more than double the cost, had hundreds on our boat, and made only a single stop. There were about 30 in the Soto group and we all received personal attention. We were picked up at the dock and taken to their 40' boat, Sea Hunt, where we picked out snorkel gear before boarding. Make sure of your time difference, if any, when you book, but the people at Soto are familiar with the various ships and arrival times. After about a 30 min. boat ride out, we spent about 30 minutes each at the Coral Gardens and Barrier Reef, where we snorkeled and viewed many different varieties of sea life. The mates fed and rubbed bellies of sharks for all to see and offered help in joining in, but no one in our group was comfortable enough with the sharks. At Stingray City Sandbar we spent about an hour amongst the stingrays. The mates provided squid for feeding and assisted each of us who wanted in holding a ray. The crew was patient and allowed everyone all the time necessary to interact and take photos or whatever we wanted to do. On the way back, we watched the video of the trip, and you can bet everyone was in it several times, as well as the mates showing off the undersea life. On the ship-booked tour, squid, drinks, and equipment were provided at an extra charge. On the Soto trip, squid for feeding, snorkel equipment, water and lemonade on board, and the transportation to/from dockside were provided, but the video was offered for an extra $45. There were multiple formats offered, and our choice of MiniDV tape was extra, as well as postage to the US since we didn't try to pick it up later that day -- we paid $66 total for our video. It was a great adventure -- email scruises@candw.ky for info or reservations.
Old June 4th, 2003, 03:41 PM
HOSKI

I just booked with Soto because I got no response from Cayman Delights.
Old June 5th, 2003, 07:11 PM
HOSKI

Default Re: Re: Re: Grand Cayman Sting Ray City tours???

I had to cancel with Soto because we could not make their pickup time so I'm back to square one. bummer
Old June 6th, 2003, 12:52 PM
First Mate

We've booked with Nativeway for Sept. 11 - I;ve been very impressed with what I've heard and seen from them so far.
Old June 8th, 2003, 10:12 PM
HOSKI

Two things on this topic. One Cayman Delights finally got back to me and said they have had internet problems since May 20th. Second, I booked with Soto because I decided that the lunch was not worth the extra $19 plus they were very helpful and answered all my questions. I will try Cayman Delights another time just to try them out.
Old June 18th, 2003, 09:53 PM
Beginner

Has anyone used Stingray City Charters, owned by Sterlin Ebanks??? Has anyone heard anything positive or negative???
Old June 18th, 2003, 10:17 PM
Passenger

We went w/ Stingray City Charters in April from Grand Princess. Had a great time. We got a good rate off the internet. I actually called GC & talked to Sterlin to make the reservations with credit card. We went to 3 sites & he was very good at StingRay City w/ getting the rays & having pictures taken (either by pro who you paid later or w/ your own camera - we got some of each). He came to pick us up at the pickup point (which is across from Capt. Marvins) & dropped us off pretty much wherever you wanted, 7 mile beach, downtown or ship pick-up point. There were about 14 of us on the boat, it was not crowded at all. You could sit out front in the sun, on top in the sun or "under" in the shade. There was soda & water to drink. We brought our own gear, but no one had trouble with his gear. He told us what to look for, where to go etc. We liked it a lot & would recommend it.

Having said that, next time I think I would try a catamaran or trimaran - mainly because we saw a really big one that looked like fun and we haven't been on one for snorkeling yet. But nothing bad to say about Stingray City Charters and would use them again without hesitation (if we weren't doing a catamaran or trimaran).

Have fun - Nancy
Old June 20th, 2003, 10:48 AM
Liz Lewis

Where are the web sites for all these GC excursions.
Not going until October but want to investigate
Thanks
Old September 21st, 2003, 12:33 AM
WalterL

I booked with Soto's a few days ago. Responded quickly. I had no such luck trying to get some of the others to respond. Have seen good reviews on them, go to C.C. they have several. Sailing Explorer 9/27/03, will let you all know how it is.

Thanks
Old September 22nd, 2003, 12:21 PM
First Mate

We were in Grand Cayman on Sept. 11. Used Nativeways (Sharon and Eldon Ebanks). They were AWESOME! Cheapest rate going - $25. Didn't have to give a credit card number up front. The captain and first mate were excellent and made sure all 12 of us got to see and do everything. You'll see other boats of 50-100 people and you'll be glad you're on a smaller boat. Nativeways was superb - the best deal we found on our whole cruise!
Old September 24th, 2003, 10:58 PM
Lynny S.

We booked Capt. Marvin's online about a month before we left for our cruise and boy let me tell you I am soooo glad we did! The tours on the ship's were packed!!! It looked like people couldn't even sit down on their boats. We had about 16 people on a 35 foot boat. Capt. Marvin was driving (Old Dude but tough as nails) !! Great trip. They had underwater divers that would video you trip and mail it to you within a few weeks. It was GREAT!! Hope this helps.

Have fun!
Lynny S
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrout View Post
go to nativeway.com
They have been incredibly responsive (and inexpensive) and have been highly recommended. We leave on 6/1 and will post a review upon return.
Do not hesitate using Nativeway Watersports
Homepage

Have used them many times and send many clients to them for a great experience and smaller groups. Be certain to do the Sting Ray City and Rum Point combo.... after snorkeling and interacting with the sting rays at the reef, you are then headed to Rum Point for a delicious lunch prepared to order. Rum Point... a slice of heaven for some great food, private beach time and snorkelling..... you will NOT be disappointed with this company !

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old October 30th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Captain

im interested in going to stingray city.....can i wait and book this tour with a outfit at the pier or is it better to plan ahead and do it online?

tnx
Tim

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15