Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 24th, 2003, 12:44 PM
xited2cruise

Default Tortola - What to do?

I hope some of the seasoned travelers will tell me something about the island of Tortola. We are going on the Legend on June 22 out of NYC for an 8 day cruise that includes San Juan, St. Thomas and "Tortola"... Out of the three places which is the best place for teens to learn how to "snorkel"? Is there a particular shore excursion on any of the ports of call I mentioned that anyone would highly recommend?

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Cookie

Default Re: Tortola - What to do?

I've been to Tortola twice and both times have booked a side - trip to Virgin Gorda. If you do the one from the ship they usually offer 2 - one in the morning and one in the afternoon. In Virgin Gorda you go to Baths. Baths is very interesting and a great site to see. Take a look on the net for the BATHS and you will see what I 'm speaking about. Both times I have been there they have had a craft fair right at the port in which they sell all types of touristy type items. There is the spice store however which is a must - you'll see the same spices sold in St. Thomas but they are more expensive. It's the Caribe Spice Company -- they usually have a raffle which you can sign up for and they announce who one it once you are back aboard. I won a little basket of goodies with teas and all types of spices. They also have a store called Pussers - which sells Pussers Rum which is suppose to be the rum of the Royal Navy. While in Pusser's you can get a Pain Killer 3, 4, or 5. They are very yummy but pack a whollop so be careful. I took one to go and walked back to the ship feeling no pain so I guess they are what they say they are. They also have tours which will take you to Mt. Top - they claim they made the very first strawberry diaquiri -- good way to sell them -they were however very good. From that point , on a clear day, you can see all over the Caribbean - Peter Island, Buck Island, Virgin Gorda etc. I didn't get to see a lot of Tortola but what I did see I enjoyed so have a good time and enjoy.