Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 31st, 2003, 12:09 AM
First Mate

Default What to do in Key West?

Okay here's another question....leaving on Rhapsody on 7/13/03 and never been to Key West. Only have the afternoon and early evening to see the sites on this stop. What great tips do you experienced travelers have for me?

Are there shops etc, within walking distance of the pier? Should I just sight see on foot or are there some inexpensive tours I should take instead? Have two "40 something" sisters and a 17 daughter going on this cruise.

Thanks in advance for helpful info!
Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2003, 03:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: What to do in Key West?

My2Cents, almost everything is within walking distance of the pier. It is really a lovely pier to pull up to. My family and I walked around when we first got off the ship, then for $20.00 a taxi took us to the southernmost point of the U.S. and around to all the sights. He would stop at places if we wanted him to for picture taking. Then at the end we went to Mallory Square (can not miss) watched all the street performers, and they have the square setup with crafts (all handmade), jewelry, etc. Very enjoyable. I suggest taking the Conch Train all around the town (it will take you around to all the points of interest for $20.00, and you can catch it right up in the market by the pier). If you will go to cruise@ddicts.com (then to photo gallery, page 2, Rhapsody of the Seas) you will see some nice pictures of Key West pier and shops. Rhapsody is a beautiful ship with great entertainment (doing it again this year) and I know you'll enjoy it.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Hi My2Cents,

You're lucky, it looks like you will be docked long enough to see the sunset celebration. Every evening in Mallory Square (just follow the crowds) at sunset, there is a celebration with street performers and interesting happenings.

All shops are in walking distance from the pier. Unless you are docked at the naval base, in which case a free shuttle will take you downtown. Don't worry about it too much, they'll tell you everything you need to know when you're onboard. There will be a "shopping talk" the day before you dock, where the cruise director will highlight some of the things to see and do and the cruiseline's recommended stores (basically a big ad, but you can get some good information from it.)

Personally, I think Key West is do-able on your own without paying for a tour. If you are in good shape you can walk to all the points of interest: lighthouse, Hemingway House, Mallory Square, Little White House, etc. Even the southernmost point can be walked to. As for things to do, it's mainly bars and souvineer shops. There are also several good restaurants. Just walk around, explore and discover.

If you do want to do a shore excursion, a trolley tour ought to give you a good overview of the sights along with commentary, and should be do-able for the whole family.

Have a great cruise.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old June 2nd, 2003, 07:32 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to SRobinM

Hiya My2Cents,
I went to Key West for an afternoon on a side trip during my vacation to Miami last Spring Break. One little tip you should know is that most of the museums close at 5:00 so you should go to the museums before Malory Square. Then at Sunset (if you are lucky enough to be there at sunset, it is BEAUTIFUL!) head to Malory Square for the Sunset festival which is when all of the street performers do their thing. You may also consider renting a bike or scooter to get around and not do a train tour or the like offered by your boat that "includes" the cost of the museums, because most of the museums are either free, request "donations", or have very nominal entry fees ($5) so what you pay on your boat may be extraordinarily over priced. The Island of Key West is not very big so you can probobly travel by foot for the most part. When I was there we took a $5 cab from our hotel to the main area where the museums and such are then we walked everywhere. And of course not to miss, if this is your thing, Margaritaville on Duval St. (and the many other shops and watering holes). Hope this helps!
~Stephanie
Old June 5th, 2003, 09:15 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the great tips everyone. I am looking forward to following your advice!

My2Cents
Old June 8th, 2003, 01:45 PM
anita kennedy

hope you check this board again. My husband is from Key West and since the boats have been making stops it is crowded... big time like the french quarter. I would do most of my sightseeing no the conch train and then decide as you go if you want to get off. I will be very hot...in July. You will see everything from the train, coch houses etc. At Hemmingway's house you pay something to go in can't remember what, and see all the cats and hear some cute stories about him and Sloppy Joe's. Go there for a rest its the original bar of Hemingway and it is fun. Eat conch fritters from a stand in Mallory Squ they are very good and don't forget to go to the sandal shop Kino and buy some hand made leather sandals they last forever. Chep gifts for folks back home also.
The rest is tourist stuff, shops museums etc. Hope you enjoy it but the originl people from there are sad to see it that way. Oh well it probably keeps the city alive with the income..
Old June 8th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Yeoman

If you really want to enjoy Key West, wait until the ships leave.
Old June 8th, 2003, 08:50 PM
Admiral

At the time you are traveling (July), I don't think you'll see the sunset from Mallory Square (you did say departure of early evening, but did not state the time). Sunset at that time of day should be around 9 pm.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old June 9th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Admiral

According to the City of Key West cruise ship schedule, the Rhapsody will be docked in Key West on 7/15 from 15:45 to 01:00. If this is true and they'll be there until 1:00 a.m., that should leave plenty of time to see the sunset celebration.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old June 10th, 2003, 09:07 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: What to do in Key West?

Yes, our ship does not leave until 1:00 a.m. How far from the ship is the "crazy" Mallory Square and where is the best place to see the sunset?

Thanks for all the info guys!!!
Old June 11th, 2003, 08:29 AM
Craig

Mallory Square is right where most of the ships dock. Check out the link below:
http://floridakeysmedia.tv/axiscam/c...=60?dummy=garb
Enjoy Key West - It's Great
Craig ..
Old June 11th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Admiral

According to the cruise ship schedule, the Rhapsody will be docked at the Hilton Marina.

That's the bottom "S" in this picture:

You can see a larger, more detailed map here. The Hilton Marina is just a short walk to Mallory Square. When it comes time for sunset, all you'll have to do is follow the crowds down Duval St.; they'll all be headed the same place.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Post Edited (06-11-03 08:53)
Old June 27th, 2003, 12:01 AM
First Mate

Thanks for the great maps Michelle!
Old June 27th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

We will be in Key West (for the first time) for only 5 hours in port, maybe even less.
We have already decided to make a beeline for Hemingway's House to see the
cats ( we are cat lovers and I'm a fan of Hemingway's works) first. Then we
plan to spend whatever time we have left exploring the area. We will be on the
Horizon and docked in Key West from 7 AM to 2 PM which is not a lot of time in
port, given an hour to get off and an hour to get back to the ship.

So what other "must see" places should we also visit? Mel Fisher's Museum
sounds very interesting. I also heard a lot about the frozen Key Lime Pie on a
stick???? What is that and where do we get it? I've heard raves on that goody!

Thanks for any info to help us make the most of the short time in Key West!

JanGail
Old June 30th, 2003, 03:16 PM
Yeoman

My2cents...Since you are only in port for 5 hours you should consider taking the conch train tour and really see Key West. The Victorian houses are beautiful. You get a real feel for Key West. The Key Lime Pie is to die for.

Being a cat lover you will find a store devoted strictly for cat lovers. I'm not sure of the name, but ask CS on the ship.

The Mel Fisher Museum is interesting, I would not recommend the Aquarium.
The Audibon House has a wonderful gift shop and right near the pier.

Have fun, I love Key West and go there at least twice a year since I live in So. Florida.
Old June 30th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to SRobinM

Jangail,
You have to go up the lighthouse. It's so beautiful! From the top you can see the entire island. You can walk to it from the Hemmingway house. They will show you where it is when you are on the tour at the Hemmingway house. The admission is only about $5 if I remember correctly. It is totally worth it. I went last spring and that is the one thing I am definately going to do again. I too am a cat lover, and the tour guide let me give the cats treats! (Maybe you can bring your own.) Look out for Mozart. He was my favorite with his crystal blue eyes. And make sure to see the pet cemetary because if you have a big group they may not show you. Enjoy!
Stephanie
Old September 1st, 2003, 09:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Anita -- Do you know if the sandals at Kinos are just slip ons or dothey have backs to them? Are they expensive? I've looking for good sandals all summer and haven't found any yet.

Celebration--Bahamas

I belive in unicorns, dragons, good men and all mythical creatures.
Old September 1st, 2003, 03:01 PM
Browezilla

Isn't one of Thomas Edison's residences/labs there also?
Old September 1st, 2003, 08:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thomas Edison and Henry Ford summer homes are located just north of Naples,
Florida.
Old September 1st, 2003, 09:17 PM
flapr1

Both the Edison Museum/Residence and Ford Residence are located in Ft. Myers.