Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2003, 11:34 AM
sereus

Default Rainforest Tour/San Juan

Has anyone been on the Rainforest Tour in San Juan? If so, could you tell me a little bit about it and do you think it would be of interest to two teenage girls as well as their parents?
Also, if anyone knows anything else to do in San Juan please let me know. We've seen t he fort on our last cruise and we'd like to know if anyone else has found any really neat places or things to do.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2003, 11:53 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Rainforest Tour/San Juan

When are you going to San Juan? Why don't you rent a car and go to the rainforest yourself. It will probably be about the same price as a tour for 4, and you won't have to stick to the "plan." You can do what ever you want.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 03:13 PM
Yeoman

Rain forest tour takes most of the afternoon, either by bus or your own transportation. The drive will scare the wits out of you the first time but you will be able to stop where you want if you rent a car. The streams and falls will be disappointing if they are in a dry period. Breathtaking in the rainy season but, you get rained on. With kids, might be something to do if you run out of anything else.
Old June 4th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Admiral

My fiancÚ and I are in our 20s and really enjoyed the rainforest tour. It takes you to several different spots in the rainforest and there is a lot to see. Bring ponchos because yes, there is a good chance that it will rain. The scenery is beautiful and if you and your daughters enjoy nature, they will enjoy this tour. Yes, the drive is a little scary but also fun.

We enjoyed it so much we are planning to rent a car and do it on our own next time we are there. I would say stick to the ship's tour if you've never been there before.

I posted some photos from our cruise, including rainforest pics, here.

Have a great time.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old June 4th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Yeoman

If you are going to drive yourself, lean on the horn going around the blind corners like the locals. The do it for a reason. A real good reason.
Old June 5th, 2003, 09:10 PM
First Mate

Took this tour with my 16 year old last summer (02). There weren't as many flowers as I'd hoped to see, but the lush greenery was very beautiful and the mountains the forest are in are lovely. The bus ride is about 1 hour long and the tour guide gives a nice talk about the industry and history of Puerto Rico on the way there. You stop on the way for about 10 minutes to use the bathroom at a little roadside stop.

The waterfall at the forest is beautiful, but the tour company would not let you walk on the rocks surrounding it (although visitors outside the tour did so). This tour was booked on our cruise through Norwegian.

I asked a couple of the cruise directors prior to arrival in this Port, whether the best beach was and they said to skip the beaches as there were none they would recommend, so we took the Rain Forest Tour. I was not disappointed.