Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Roy

Default Atlantis Submarine in Cozumel or Grand Cayman?

Family is considering the submarine trip as an excursion- see it is offered in both ports. Has anyone tried it in one or both locations? Is it better in one or the other? We are water friendly but would never dive and thought this may be a good experience for us and the kids. I hear Stingray City in GC is very crowded most cruise ship days so wanted to seek a more relaxed trip, and Cozumel can be very crowded in general. Thanks in advance for any replies. RD
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2003, 09:51 AM
serene56

Default Re: Atlantis Submarine in Cozumel or Grand Cayman?

What ship are you sailing? I am on the Royal Voyager and they have something called Land and sea tour that includes the submarine ride.
For somethine different..and already seen the stingrays this is what we are opting ot do when we cruise.
Old June 5th, 2003, 09:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Roy, we did the submarine in Cozumel two years ago. Keep in mind the submarine is very narrow so if you feel uncomfortable in closed in situations this might not be the best for you. Some of my family (16 of us) loved it, others thought it was ok.
Old June 5th, 2003, 11:43 AM
chiquita

We've done it in grand Cayman and it was awesome!!!! If you want to save some money book it through Cayman Islands Discounts as they have the best rates available, even cheaper than booking direct with Atlantis.

Our son loved it, he was 6 and thought it was really cool!!
Old June 5th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Tim T

Default Re: Re: Atlantis Submarine in Cozumel or Grand Cayman?

Roy: We were in GC on the Triumph Apr 5-12. We booked Captain Marvin's Stingray City tour over the internet at $34.00 per person. The boat was not crowded, everything was perfect, and Stingray City was a not-to-be-missed experience. My wife is extremely wary of water (particularly the sea) and actually ended up trying snorkelling and loving it. Stingray city itself is the finest sand bottom, no weeds, and the amazing gentle stingrays, in waist-deep water. It was probably the highlight of the trip. So if you are worried about over-crowding, just don't book a ship excursion.

Regards,
Tim
Old June 5th, 2003, 09:03 PM
First Mate

Took the Atlantis Sub ride in Cozumel summer before last with my teenage daughter. We were very disappointed because we saw very few fish, no turtles or anything amazing. The only thing we saw different from snorkeling, was larger coral, but it was not colorful. The sub windows are positioned so that you have to sit in a cramped space and bend down to see out. Your neck and back are hurting alot by the time you get out. I am going to GC next month on the Rhapsody and plan on trying the Stingray tour.
Old June 8th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Roy

Thanks for feedback.

Serene 56- Yes we are on an RCI cruise also- after looking into the land and sea we found the boat trip is in a semi-submarine that stays on the surface and the Atlantis goes under almost 100'. I think we will chose the Atlantis.

Chiquita- thanks for the tip-will probably do the Submarine- still deciding on which port...

Tim T and My2cents- thanks for the honest feedback on the trip. We have seen other posts about Grand Cayman and figure we will try the submarine there. We have read/heard that Stingray City is really crowded and can be somewhat dangerous with the crowds. I guess we are just chicken!
Old June 11th, 2003, 10:07 AM
chiquita

You're welcome!! Have a great cruise!
Old June 12th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Grand Cayman is the best spot for the Atlantis dive. This is the next best dive area in the world after the Great Barrier Reef. However, if you have never done the Swim with the Sting Rays, that is a not to be missed excurision and only at Grand Cayman.

On Cozumel, just take a taxi To Mr. Sancho's beach. No entry fee, refreshments and food available as well as rental of watercraft. Plastic chairs are available with rental of padded lounges and umbrellas there too. Go back to the ship for lunch, then into town for refreshment at Poncho's Back Yard. Don't miss it.