Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2003, 01:55 AM
jake h

Default Costa Maya (Majahual) Grand Princess...any suggestions?

Hi I am going on Grand Princess Aug 10, 2003. I am extremely excited but have heard boring things about Costa Maya. I am not into the whole ruins activities. Anyone been there? Have comments on either the ship or ports?
Thanks a bunch
Jake
Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2003, 09:30 PM
HOSKI

Default Re: Costa Maya (Majahual) Grand Princess...any suggestions?

We did Costa Maya in April and loved it. It is not as built up as other ports so it was more relaxing. I did a ruins tour that I booked at the pier and hubby took the taxi to Majahual. There were tons of things there for him to do. He could rent horses and other things. I got a massage by the beach which was 1/3 the price as on the ship but not as great. We also did the free pool at the pier and there are two free beaches there but they charge you for chairs.

When we were there they did not have electricity but used generators for the days ships were in port. It should be in now as they said it would be ready in two weeks.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 04:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

To avoid utter depression, avoid the town at all costs. The pier is nice for shopping, there is a beach you can play at, but the town is impoverished and there was a lot of trash washed up on shore along the coastline into town. If I ever do this itinerary again, I'll stay on the ship at this port. At least I was able to show my kid that we are so fortunate to have what we have.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 09:08 PM
HOSKI

It is a pity to stay onboard just because the closest town is impoverished. Go spend some money there. Do you realize what an american dollar is worth to these people? I would rather go into town and spend it with the locals than the vendors at the pier because most of them commute down from the Cozumel/Cancun area to sale things on the days the ships are in.

My husband said the town was very safe and the people very friendly.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Check out www.puertocostamaya.com --- might pick up some useful info there.
Don't stay on the ship. Get out and see something, go somewhere, do something.

If you look, there is a lot to do and see there. Just because everyone doesn't have a house in the subdivision, drive an suv and have a cell phone growing out of their ear doesn't mean there is nothing to see and enjoy.
Old June 24th, 2003, 06:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Why I did get off the ship, thank you very much. And I did spend money at the pier (which oddly enough was staffed by folks from Cancun). But I WALKED the coastline to the town. The shoreline looked as if a barge had dumped trash just offshore...oil cans, milk jugs, cans, plastic...you name it was washed up onshore. Just as we were leaving the pier, a local offered to sell us some drugs. How quaint. When we got to town, it was utterly depressing. A "gentleman" got a bit sarcastic when we politely declined his offer of "Cuban" cigars since we don't smoke. He then offered to sell us his "sister", as we walked on he offered his "brother".

I own neither an SUV or a cell phone, and I don't think very highly of the people that do own them for "status". The town was an armpit. Cozumel was a much nicer port with a much "cleaner" city. All things being equal, I'd rather spend my money in Cozumel that Costa Maya. If I wanted to see poverty, I could always drive down to the inner city for a lot less than I spent on a cruise.
Old June 24th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Admiral

Well, PJ, with all respect, in the future maybe you should choose your cruises more carefully with regards to the ports-of-call, so you won't have to be subjected to any unsavory or depressing sights or locals.

Just reinforces what my first post was all about--learn a little before hand of where you are going and what is available to do at these ports. Both my stops at Costa Maya were great. Saw some wonderful Mayan sites, saw a lot of the country side, met some wonderful people and thoroughly enjoyed the time there. Would I go Back? Yes.
Did I see poverty and trash? Yes. Did it ruin my day? No. Do I see that at home? You bet. The Mayans / Mexicans at Costa Maya do not have a monopoly on litter. I live on a small island on the southeast coast that is frequented by thousands of tourists a year.
It is unbeliveable the trash they wilfully drop on the beach, on the dunes, on bicycle trails, etc. No excuse for it anywhere, Mexico or U.S.A.

To judge an area by the immediate area around the port can be very decieving. Look at Miami. If all anyone attempted to see was the area around the port, you could miss a lot.
Just a little research before hand can help a lot.

Peace be upon you and may you have many satisfactory cruises.
Old June 25th, 2003, 06:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

AS far as researching the cruise - Key West - interesting, Cozumel - couldn't wait to get there, Grand Cayman - loved the place the first time and was looking forward to it. Costa Maya...never been there, but willing to give it a try. I chose this one because it was one of the few western Caribbean cruises that did not stop in Jamaica, which I didn't want to go to for various reasons. IMHO, Costa Maya might as well have been a Pier 1 store as it was shopping and little else. I know that nobody has a monopoly on litter, but the trash that was floating up IN THE WATER along what was otherwise a pristine and primitive coastline was beyond description.
Old June 26th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Passenger

We went in April 2002 on the Grand and at Costa Maya we choose the Jungle Beach Break that we booked through Princess. The bus ride was about a half of hour to get there and enjoyed the time on the beach relaxing. I enjoyed the shopping at the dock and found out that I could really bargin with the locals quite well. Enjoy!