Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Passenger

Default Horseback Riding

I was wondering if anybody has any information on Horseback Riding in Ocho Rios, or other islands. Also, if anybody has ever done this, I would be happy to hear about your experience and if it is worthwhile or not. Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Inga-Lis

Default Re: Horseback Riding

We went horseback riding on Cozumel and it was great. The horses were well taken care of and they had one to suite all experiences. The tour was beautiful.
Old June 29th, 2003, 10:26 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the information!
Old July 2nd, 2003, 01:28 PM
jlynd

Inga - can you tell me the name of the tour company? Was this a ship excursion or did you book it on your own?

Thanks!!
Old July 13th, 2003, 09:24 AM
sarahj

We did a great ride in Grand Cayman along a beautiful beach with Honey Suckle Beach Rides. Its really nice as they only have 10 horse so you get to ride with a small group and the horses and beautiful, well cared for, not skinny and underfed as I've seen on other islands. We even took our kids and they loved it.

We booked it through Grand Cayman Cruise Excursions online and they took great care of us. We did the afternoon ride as we did stingray city in the morning. I would suggest taking the morning ride if you are wth kids though as it was kinda hot in the afternoon. Don't forget your water as you'll be thirsty if its hot!
Old July 15th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Passenger

We did a great horseback riding trip in Bermuda. We did not book it through the cruise line. When we got off the ship, there were several brochures on different things to do in Bermuda. However, I would not suggest doing this in Jamaica. It is known to be very dangerous. I would make sure that whatever you do there, do through the cruise line. I went on a cruise that stopped in Jamaica with my husband, mother, father, and (at the time) 17 year old sister. I decided to stay by the ship pool with my mom and dad, and my husband and sister were off to explore. Immediately, my 6'4, 225 pound husband got back on the boat. The people there are so aggressive that he didn't feel comfortable being responsible for my teenage sister. My dad ended up going along with them and they had a great time exploring and going to Dunns River Falls. In hindsight, they would have stuck with a shore tour through the cruise line since we have spoken with several people now who have had issues in Jamaica. Have a great time, just be safe.
Old September 8th, 2003, 02:44 AM
Darrin Miller

Just for the record, my wife and I went horseback riding our last time at Roatan. Unbelievable. The place was called Kefitios (ka-fee-tous). I don't remember the exact cost (extemely reasonable), but it was only my wife and I and the guide. I never realized how much Spanish I did know as the guide didn't speak any English. I was about a two hour ride up to the tallest hill on the island and then down to the ocean where we were able to ride the horse on the water at a full gallup. You couldn't knock the smile off my face with a 8-lbs sledgehammer. Highly recommended.

darrin
Old September 10th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to debv
Default Re: Re: Horseback Riding

I was looking at the Cayman riding tour - actually Honey Suckle......how far is 7 mile beach in relation to that riding tour? Thanks!
Old September 10th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Bubblez

I would say its about a 15 minute drive as the beach rides with Honey Suckle are in West Bay on the Beach. Hope that helps..BTW: GREAT CHOICE, you'll love the ride
Old September 10th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Oh good. Thanks!! I am doing the riding for my mom. She loves riding. I love horses if I don't have to get on one. I am a bit nervous. Had 1 bad experience 21 years ago - haven't been on since.
Old September 15th, 2003, 03:56 PM
First Mate

I would try to get a personal tour. The group rides are nice but they tend to be a bit sedate. The one we did had us all in a single file line at a slow walk.

Old September 15th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sedate is good!!! (For me anyhow!)
Old September 16th, 2003, 08:03 PM
First Mate

My husband and I went horsebackriding in Cozmel. They are very good at matching you to the right horse. I had a fast horse and my husband had a slow horse. It was very gorgeous riding in the rain forest. Definitly, a experience we will never forget.