Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default St. Thomnas & St. Martin

We are planning on going to San Juan, St. Martin & St. Thomas in early January, 2004. Can anyone suggest the best things to do. I hear there isn't alot to do in San Juan. Any ideas!!! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2003, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Default Re: St. Thomnas & St. Martin

Laurie, San Juan is a great town. You can wander around Old San Juan - very pretty take a hike out to the fort -El. Morro - beautiful, striking views. You can take a trip up to the rain forest, hang out at one of the many beautiful beaches. Do some shopping.
St.Thomas -hit the beach - either on St. Thomas or over on St. John's Island - do some snorkeling, do some shopping, go for a sail - lots to do.
Old June 20th, 2003, 09:18 AM
First Mate

Laurie,

We were in St. Maarten last year, we did the Golden Eagle Catamaran excursion, it was so fun! The ride was beautiful with the sun and sea spray in our face, they had champagne & oj for the ride out. Beautiful scenery. Once there my husband went snorkeling and I went swimming and laid on the beach! If you are in the water on a float the guy comes to you with a drink! And on the ride back there were drinks, food and music. it was awesome! Bring lots of sun block though if you burn easily! Not much shade.

In St. Thomas we went to Meagans Bay first then some shopping. It was a beatiful Island.

I have never been to San Jaun, but we will there this September on our 4th cruise. I can't wait. We love the Eastern Caribbean.

Have a great time, you will find lots to do!

Royal Caribbean - Navigator of the Seas - 9/27/2003
Old June 26th, 2003, 02:35 AM
Raftrider

I agree with the Golden Eagle Catamaran in St Marrten...that was fantastic....I would do it again in a heartbeat.....In St Thomas we went to coki beach...probably not the best of the choices, but we still enjoyed ourselves .....
Old June 26th, 2003, 05:19 AM
Admiral

We were on the Carnival Triumph which went to those ports in February. What we did in St Thomas was picked up a taxi at the pier which took us to the Red Hook Ferry. We took that (3.00) across to St John, rented a 4x4 jeep and toured the island ourselves! It was awesome! You have to go over there. Not as populated as St Thomas and we were able to tour the Sugar Mill Ruins in Annaberg St John, swim in Trunk Bay, and eat at Skinny Legs. It was the best burger I've had in a long time!

It was neat cause an actual mongoose ran across the road in front of us! There are alot of those over there!

I have pics on my website if you'd like to take a look.

http://home.attbi.com/~powerdave/cruise.htm

Post Edited (06-26-03 05:21)
Old June 26th, 2003, 09:33 AM
SSinCT

Helen - what type of timing do you need to do the Red Hook Ferry? I have done it when staying on St. Thomas, but am worried about missing our ship if the Ferry is late coming back from St. John. When did you leave to go to St. John and when did you return. Our ship leaves St. Thomas at 4:45pm which seems so early! Did you pre-book the jeep? You may be the person I have been looking to chat with on the message boards! Also were the taxis a pain to Red Hook and back and traffic? It's my birthday that day and a big one and I want it to be a special day on St. John. Thanks for any advice!!
Old June 26th, 2003, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: St. Thomnas & St. Martin

Hmm...let's see.

We booked the jeep by calling Hertz over the phone about 2 weeks prior to sailing.
It was hard to find the place to pick it up at but after asking a few locals they steered us there! It was a little trailer off the pier (maybe a 10 min walk).

Our ship docked about 7am so we left about 8am. I believe the ferry leaves every hour.
CHeck this website out: http://www.vinow.com They have alot of St Thomas/St John info on them plus ferry schedules. Our ferry we picked up was the 9am ferry. When you get a taxi (they line up at the dock when you get off so it's very easy to hail one!) tell them you want to go to the Red Hook Ferry. They will know exactly where to take you.
It is alittle ride (maybe 15 minutes to it) and then the ferry is about another 15 min ride.
We probably got over to St John about 9:30 and picked up the Jeep. It was really easy cause we had booked it early.

We picked up a map of St John (You can get one online or at the rental place) and just drove the outer roads (there is only like 2 main roads there anyways. There are stop points along the way to pull over for spectacular views and information on the islands you'll see in the distance. Really pretty! We videotaped alot of it.

We first drove to the other side of the island and toured the Annaberg Sugar Mill ruins. Not much there but very interesting and informative. We then drove to Trunk Bay and stayed there for about an hour or so, then about 1pm we drove to Coral Bay (St John) and ate at Skinny Legs. We almost drove right past it cause it's alittle place but the food was AWESOME! I advise you to eat there if you have time. Then we drove around alittle bit and dropped the Jeep off about 3pm. Caught the 4pm ferry and then a taxi van was waiting for us and he took us directly back to the boat. Our ship didn't leave til 6pm though and we were back by 5pm or sooner. If you are coming back and have to be on board by 4:45 it is probably doable but make sure you keep track of your time and leave an hour early to allow extra time to get back to the ship on a taxi. We even were able to do alittle shopping at the dock (there's a few shops around) and got some ice cream YUM....before we had to be back on board.

If you need/want more info feel free to email me at hkolln@yahoo.com or I do have yahoo IM (hkolln is my ID) and we can possibly chat if you tell me when you'll be on. I don't keep it open all the time.

Take care!

Old June 26th, 2003, 04:26 PM
SSinCT

Thank you! I don't keep mine on all the time. I am going to email you today on 6/26. Perhaps you can email me back in the next day or so. Look out for my email from SS. Kindest thanks!