Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2003, 02:02 AM
Beginner

Default Tendering in Belize is 40 minutes???

I heard it takes 40 minutes to get tothe dock because the ships anchor 5 miles away due to low tide and that it is so poverty stricken that i should leave the kids on the ship for safety reasons. I also heard the zoo is so primitve to skip it. Is all of this true or did I just get advice from someone who had a real bad experience there? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2003, 11:11 PM
Raftrider

Default Re: Tendering in Belize is 40 minutes???

Just back from a cruise that stopped in Belize...Enjoyed our time there very much..We took a ship sponsered snorkel tour to an island called Goeffs Caye..it was like our own little gilligans isle...and the snorkeling was excellent..After our tour, we returned to the ship and ate lunch, then tendered into Belize city...took only about 20minutes max to get there...we only went as far as the complex at the pier....there were stores, bars, places to eat, and a really inexpensive internet cafe......something like three bucks for 15 minutes....we thought that was great....At any rate, we totally enjoyed our time in Belize...we were also kinda leary before our may cruise because we read many negative comments.....It's really what you make it, and we loved it and had a great time.....dont know anything about the zoo....did hear people talk highly about the cave tubing......we had no interest in doing those things..........happy cruising hope you enjoy!!!
Old June 20th, 2003, 11:20 PM
Admiral

The tender ride is approx. 5 miles or so. It isn't a 40 minute ride--probably more like 20 or so.
I wouldn't go roaming around town on my own but I seriously doubt that you would be endangering your kids by taking them ashore. There are several ships tours available there and I'm sure you could find something interesting. Just go with an open mind and don't worry about the negative comments you read and hear. Lots of folks will complain about a port and when the facts are in, many times you learn they didn't leave the port area. Anyway, how many times do you get to go to Belize? Get out and see something. You may be surprised.
Old June 20th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Admiral

Moneyplays, here is the website for Belize. You might find something of interest or helpful.
Have fun. www.travelbelize.org
Old June 21st, 2003, 07:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Family did the cavetubing thing with reggie-nice guy,tubing ok and different. Better choice probably altun ha tour after talking with fellow passengers.belize city ok close to so called pier-our young teen kids not into wandering too far-they called it seedy-we thought tropical 3rd world and non threatening.we gave up after walking about 6 blocks from pier-really not much to offeras far as shopping or eating past that. countryside has much more to offer. We've been to Costa Rica -now that's the place to go in Central America!
Old June 22nd, 2003, 12:06 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to SRobinM
Default Re: Re: Tendering in Belize is 40 minutes???

I'm traveling to Belize City in September. We're going to hop a water taxi to the Abergus Caye area and enjoy a day in San Pedro for shopping, food, and maybe some beach fun. There are many of great options in Belize City as well. I have heard the Swiming with Sting Rays is great as well as the Cave Tubing. I think the biggest thing is just educating your kids about being savy travelers. I live in a tourist city and you get very used to people trying to panhandle and sell things on the street. Teach your children how to bargain when it is appropriate and say no to people trying to beg on the street. Have them take appropriate steps to protect their money and belongings and they should be fine. If they are young, keep them with you and set rules before you disembark. If you have walkie talkies that you are taking using onboard you can always take them with you when you go into port. If you feel uncertain about arranging your own excursion, your best bet may be to have your travel agent suggest something or go through the cruise line so everything will be aranged for you. Rest assured that the cruise line will not lead you astray. I also understand that there are meetings before going into port in which they educate you about what you should expect upon arriving in port. It is probobly a good idea to attend that too. Happy travels, you'll have a blast!
Old June 23rd, 2003, 09:38 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to marpat

We just got back from our cruise yesterday. Belize is ok if you do a tour. We did the Cave tubing with Reggie. It was really fun. He really took good care of us and his son was really informative. On the way to the caves Reggie's son explained were we driving through. When we got there we ran into the ship's tour and it was packed over 80 people versus our tour of 10 people. Reggie knows his way around the caves very good and we actually got of our tubes and walked in the caves and saw some beatiful formations!!! I recommend this tour.
Old June 30th, 2003, 09:12 PM
SnowWhiteNYC

We were on the Pride last year and stopped in Belize. Tendering didn't take that long but we waited very early for our tender tickets to be among the first off. We took a water taxi from pier right next to where the tenders docked to Ambergis Caye (where Temptation Island was filmed). It took a little more than a hour each way to get to the island but it was awesome....Great snorkeling...really cheap...much better than a ship sponsored excursion...Would do it again...Good Luch and enjoy...
Old June 30th, 2003, 10:42 PM
Yeoman

Snow White,
Just curious, was it San Pedro that you took the water taxi to? We loved San Pedro! We ate at Fido's. Pronounced Feed-Doz. They say first you feed then you doze!

Luanne

Post Edited (06-30-03 21:43)