Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2003, 10:39 PM
First Mate

Default No Sun Lotion @ Chankanaab?!?

I just went to the website "cozumelinsider.com" and see on the Chankanaab site, there is no suntan lotion permitted for snorkeling/swimming. They do this to protect the coral reef/fish. Has anyone visited there within the last month and had a problem with wearing lotion?

I HAVE BEEN TURNED away at a beach down the coastline from Cancun (don't recall the name, but I drove there in a rental car with guidance from my Fodor's travel book), for wearing sunscreen! Two guards stopped people at the entrance and both smelled and touched your skin. Of course, they can tell you are wearing it. They also look through your belongings to make sure you don't carry it in. We were turned away for wearing sunscreen (had no idea this was done at the time).

I don't want this same experience at Chankanaab.

So, for those who have gone to Chankanaab in the last several weeks or so, please let me know what they're doing about suntan lotion. I leave for my cruise 7/13/03 on the Rhapsody of the Sea.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2003, 08:35 AM
excited cruiser

Default Re: No Sun Lotion @ Chankanaab?!?

We were at Chankanaab Beach last month. They neither checked or asked us about any lotion we had.
Old July 7th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

I believe that they only check for suntan lotion use for certain venues at
Chankanaab: the Encounter programs, Snuba, etc. It is not a problem for
routine beach use.

At other places of interest in the Cancun areas, it is controlled at certain
environmentally sensitive locations. The name escapes me, but the other
popular tourist attraction that includes tube rides through an underground
river does prohibit sunscreen use. However, at most public beaches,
sunscreen use is allowed. It is allowed at the resorts and their beaches as well.

JanGail
Old July 9th, 2003, 05:04 PM
Passenger

I have visited the park many time over the years and never had a problem or even been asked about it. When you drive up to the park entrance gate give your cabby the money, and he will pay your admission. Once inside the park there is plenty of opportunities to put it on.

Old July 9th, 2003, 05:45 PM
MichelleM

Bullfrog is a good waterproof all day sunscreen. We generally put it on while still on the ship and then leave the bottle there and are good for the day. Might be something to look at if you are worried. I like it because it isn't greasy like most other lotions.
I could imagine that it is not wonderful for the ecosystem. Have you ever watched a really lotioned up person get into a pool. There is a little oil slick all around them.
Old July 9th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Jennifermm

At other areas where sunscreen use is not encouaged / permitted, people just wear a shirt as a cover-up while swimming.

Sunscreen does damage the marine environment - what's the attitude here? As long as I can wear my sunscreen I don't care if these sights are here for the next person to enjoy?
Old July 9th, 2003, 10:42 PM
mlbcruiser

Default Re: Re: No Sun Lotion @ Chankanaab?!?

Both Xel Ha (5 yrs. ago) and Xcaret (last mo.) do not allow suntan lotion use. HOWEVER, they do sell eco-lotion that is safe. We did have lotion in our bags w/us both times. I certainly wouldn't openly apply it there. Before you get there is another thing. They can try, and maybe it IS a worthy and lofty ambition not to contaminate the environmental delicacy there, but frankly, I bet 95% of the tourists had it on anyway. They can only do their best to stop it. Maybe giving the eco lotion out free might help? No one checked our bags. Seemed like Xel Ha was more strict and warned of it more. We never once had our skin touched or smelled at either place.
Old July 10th, 2003, 11:09 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the information from you recent Chak. visitors! There is no WAY I could survive being in the sun without sunscreen and when the UV is a 10 (which is always in the caribbean), you burn within 15 minutes.

Skin cancer is not worth the risk involved. I do understand that suntan oil slicks do settle on the coral eventually, but so does the motor oils that are emitted from ski doos, local boats and so on. Seems to me that the "nongreasy" lotions are probably better at staying put on the skin.

Just do not want to be turned away because I will be wearing the sunscreen. If I thought this was a possibility, I would go to another beach area.

Anyone else have ANY type of bad experience at Chakcanaab? I leave in less than 48 hours so please SPEAK UP if you have, ok?
Old July 11th, 2003, 12:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

How I wish I could fit into your suitcase-- in 48 hours you are going on a wonderful
trip!!
We really enjoyed our visit at Chankanaab Park. Nice beaches, a restaurant,
beach boys selling canned drinks, a small shopping village, snuba, snorkeling,
dolphin and seal encounters and gardens with trails that have reproductions
of Mayan ruins and a small museum. We had no problems with suntan lotion
when using the beach; as I indicated earlier, it was controlled only at the venues
for the snuba and encounters as I recall from other passengers. The only
drawback that I can think of at Chankanaab was the beach chaises. They are
not the kind you find on your ship or at home, nor or they in the traditional design
of a typical beach chaise. These chaises at the park are hard, heavy duty molded
resin or plastic shaped like a one piece body length rocker placed into the sand.
Since it has no legs or armrests and set into the sand, it is very difficult to brace
yourself into and out of these chaises. That is, if you are no longer spring
chickens and spry! But that drawback is certainly not enough to keep me from
returning to Chankanaab!

Have a wonderful cruise! Bon Voyage!!
JanGail
Old July 18th, 2003, 02:22 PM
lka1012

Some places only allow oil-free sun lotion. Perhaps that is what they were doing. Since a sunscreen should be applied at least 30 minutes prior to going out into the sun, most sunblocks are asorbed into the skin and have little to no odor.
Old July 19th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Yeoman

They would take one look at my husband and I and see how white we are and be busted without a sunscreen test. We are pure white and they will know that we faithfully use sun screen. 45spf to be exact. I'm a redhead and he is blonde, need I say more!

Luanne