Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Davina

Default Belize Zoo

I am looking for any type of review on the Belize Zoo. We will be touring with our 4 year old and 8 year old and are wondering if it is worth the time and money.
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2003, 11:56 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Belize Zoo

i have not been there yet but i am also visiting there with my children in November. I have read on old posts & other message boards that this zoo is really nice. I saw pics that someone posted but cant remember where. Anyway, the animals were so close but it is like you are in the cages & they are wild (but not really) There were lots of jaguars & other animals that we really dont see in the zoos in the US. I have never seen a post where the person did not care for it.
Old July 18th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Tsunami Adventures

The Belize Zoo is great.
Here is a link for you to check out.
http://www.belizezoo.org/

Make sure you put on your bug spray.

cheers Heather
Old July 20th, 2003, 12:30 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Belize Zoo

hi there. i have done a ton of research on the zoo and i have learned that it is quite primitive. an actual outhouse exists if you need the restroom and the zoo flooring is gravel which will be hard if you havea stroller. i have heard the zoo is amazing even more so for adults and that the zoo was built around the animals with very little concrete. spotting animals is hit and miss because their habitats are in the wild so if they are deep into you may not see them, however, if they come out, i heard they are "in your face." Most ship tour's are 2 hours spent at the zoo and i have been told 45-1 hour max is all that is needed. you can take a taxi and if you are using a car seat the zoo will let you keep it in their office. it is a 45 minute to the zoo. our friends that did it told me to leave my 2 year old with my parents, that she is way too young and it would be a major hassle and headache trying to work the strolle, better taking real younf ones to your local zoo. hope some this helps! moneyplays
Old July 25th, 2003, 09:16 AM
Passenger

Davina...We went on the tour to the Zoo in Belize and everyone has their own feelings about different things, but I have to tell you we hated that tour! The bus trip was long and boring, they did have cold bottled water when you arrived but that went quickly in the stifling heat. We had to spray insect repellant on us to keep the bugs off of us. Throughout the whole walking tour we weren't able to see most of the animals because they hid in the bushes, so the guide would have to jump over the rails and scare the animals out for us to see for a second of them running away from him! We honestly couldn't wait to get back to the ship. I'm sorry if I sound so negative, because I hate when I see replies that are not positive, but I had to tell you my true feelings about this place. The wasted money we spent on this tour was not as important as the wasted time we could have spent on the ship!
Old July 25th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Davina

Default Re: Re: Belize Zoo

Thank you very much for your honesty Cricket. I would much rather hear the truth than be disappointed on our vacation.
Old July 29th, 2003, 09:43 PM
Marvin

Hi I am a tour guide here in Belize and some of the negativity about The Zoo is factual when you are touring with 40 plus people and only one guide that is what you get when booking through the ship.
unlike many others that I know have had a wonderful time on this specific tour when booking it privately, so why not do the tour with one of the many independent tour operators at the dock and you will see for your self that you too can have an unbelizable time in my beautiful Country!
Old August 7th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Davina

Default Re: Re: Re: Belize Zoo

Cricket,
Thank you very much for your honest opinion. Got your message 2 days before we left. I cancelled our zoo trip and went to Caye Caulker for the day. We loved it! Belize was my daughter's favorite port. Thank you so much for your information. It was greatly appreciated.