Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to CarnivalCruiserA Send a message via MSN to CarnivalCruiserA
Default Aruba Excursions

We are planning on going on a cruise to Aruba. Any ideas on good excursions. We really enjoy snorkling, going to the beach. Me and my sister love to shop. Any ideas, please reply!

Old July 21st, 2003, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Aruba Excursions

Shopping of course is a premier activity in Aruba. The main shopping areas are a short 5 minute walk from the pier.
For snorkelling and beach I suggest one of two things. Take an excursion off the ship that does Catamaran, snorkelling (usually two or three stops), lunch and beach.
Or alternatively take an excursion or otherwise get yourself out to De Palm island.
Great beach, all activities and facilities and good snorkelling as well.
You should have time for shopping and water sports with no problem.
Old July 21st, 2003, 10:52 AM
browezilla

In my opinion, the snorkeling on Aruba isn't very good, however, snorkeling over the German WWII freighter Antilla was a lot of fun. It is in about 60 ft of water with the mast sticking out through the surface of the water. There were plenty of fish, and you frequently can watch divers down below you around the ship. It has been my favorite excursion on Aruba.

The Atlantis submarine isn't bad either, but doing Atlantis on Grand Cayman I believe would be better (they have the Grand Cayman Wall to dive to).

Cheers,
Old July 21st, 2003, 04:08 PM
First Mate

Back in 12/2001 while on a cruise, we rented a jeep for the day with another couple on our cruise. We went to the lighthouse, saw the picturesque church on the north shore, spent time at the Natural Bridge, had lunch, and then did a SNUBA excursion through DePalm Island. http://www.snuba.com/where.asp

The SNUBA trip included two snorkeling stops and one SNUBA stop. One of those snorkeling stops was over the Antilla, and we thoroughly enjoyed that. For coral and colorful fish, we have found better snorkeling sites elsewhere. But... this was our first experience with SNUBA and our first time to snorkel near a sunken ship like that.

We even had time towards the end of the afternoon to do the touristy shopping area before returning our jeep to the Avis rental at the dock area. (Reserved the jeep prior to leaving on the cruise.) Navigating the roads on the island were no problem at all.

~ Mandy
Old July 21st, 2003, 11:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have made two land vacations in Aruba, and a cruise port of call to this
wonderful island. Wonderful restaurants, great beaches, and usually guaranteed
sunshine (it is outside the hurricane belt, and is considered an arid island with
little rainfall- sort of like the American southwest or Palm Springs).

Shopping: walking distance from the pier! Good buys on anything from the
Netherlands- gouda cheese, delftware, dutch linen. Aruban souveniers in
the form of minature cunucu houses (country houses), flags, t-shirts, etc.

Restaurants: Wonderful restaurants! I'll give you a list of websites on Aruba for
more information on that and other general Aruba information at the end of this
post.

Snorkeling: If you want to snorkel on your own, get a taxi and go to Baby Beach
which is located about 30 minutes from the terminal. The snorkeling there is
reputed to be very good. Another site to snorkel is DePalm Island-- there is a
website for DePalm Tours you can go to for more information. The Antilla
Shipwreck site is also another good site for snorkeling. One of the Aruba websites
I will give you has some beach and snorkeling information.

Beaches: Two main beaches-- Eagle Beach (includes Manchebo Beach which is
topless optional) in the lowrise hotel section (nearest the cruise terminal) and
farther north about a couple miles is Palm Beach, located in the high rise hotel
section. You can arrange to rent a beach chair and umbrella at one of the hotels
to use the beach and their facilities-- about $20 for chair, umbrella and towel, as I
recall. However, I'm sure the rental fee varies with the hotels. The watersports
concessions are located on Palm Beach. Again, the websites I will refer you
to will have maps of the beach areas.

www.aruba-bb.com
www.visitaruba.com
www.depalm.com
www.aruba-travelguide.com
www.arubaadventures.com

Additionally, these websites also have bulletin boards where you can ask questions
about Aruba and what to do and see there. Restaurant information, excursions will
all be there for you to peruse. If you are going to be in Aruba late, such as until
midnight, check out the possibility of taking a Kukoo Kunuku party bus tour. This
is a party bus that takes you to some of the local bars for fun and partying and good
music. You will get a free drink at each bar. It is a real blast, and if possible, don't
miss it! Info on that is at the last website.

Hope this helps and have a great cruise!

JanGail
Old July 22nd, 2003, 12:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

WOW, I never posted the question, but I am sure glad I read it!!! Thanks so much from me, We will be in Aruba until 10pm!!! We plan on hitting some beaches in the day and the sunset cocktail cruise at night!!
Cheers from vancouver Island B.C, Canada
Captangel
Old July 26th, 2003, 01:11 PM
cruisindarryl@yahoo.com

Hi All,

Just wanted to reiterate what Mandy said. We also rented a car when we were there and drove all over the island. We hit all the sights like Mandy did (that picturesque church had a carved wooden alter from 1870 Holland that was incredible, as well as the adjacent colorful cemetary). The natural bridge was smaller than i had anticipated but the northeast coast is rather rugged and beautiful. At the California Lighthouse we had a light snack and ice cold drinks. It was one of he hottest (and unusually humid) days on record for April. I was so glad we were in our own car with a/c! :-)

We didn't snorkel there becuase I had heard that it wasn't the best place on our itinerary. We usually only snorkel one or two times on a cruise. The main shopping area in Oranjestad is a little "Disneyfied" but still good shopping.

I would definitely recommend renting a car and going it on your own.

Have fun!

=D=

Next up: Cruise #12 - Century 11/08/03 - Classic Western
Old August 4th, 2003, 05:21 PM
First Mate

Jeep is the way to go. Spring for the full size (real jeep). Much of the island is rugged and rocky. Be careful on the narrow paths that go to the interior. We caught a jagged rock and got a flat. No worries but make sure the spare is in good shape, you never know. One of the most fun tours we ever did. Circled the whole island in a few hours. the north west side is the most fun where the sand is. Natural bridge was a bit overatted. We actually found a nicer one along the beach (see enclosed pic)

Enjoy!!

JAG

Old August 10th, 2003, 06:16 AM
cruznbuckeye

Default Re: Re: Aruba Excursions

For those of you not planning on renting a car, there are a lot of taxis waiting to take your money to take you to a beach.
However, there are busses about a minute away that costs one or two dollars. We have them drop us off at a hotel on Palm Beach. I can't remember if it was the Westin or the Wyndham. We rented chairs and umbrellas. It is very beautiful. There was also a little shop where we got pop, wine in little bottles and chips right there.