CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean & Panama Canal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/)
-   -   Cubans?? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/250162-cubans.html)

SRobinM July 27th, 2003 01:02 AM

Cubans??

Does anyone know the customs regulations for purchasing cuban cigars? My brother asked me to bring him some back. He said you can purchase up to a bundle or box for personal consumption without them being confiscated. Is this true?

BambiRumsey July 27th, 2003 04:07 AM

Re: Cubans??

They should be able to give you details on board. I usually purchase handful and smoke some on board. I have not been stopped (nor had I declared them) but I also have not tried to bring them into the US post 9/11

rburns July 27th, 2003 10:21 AM

I just came back from the Sensation. Brought back Cubans. Just took the label off them. I wrote on the customs form that I had Dominican Republic cigars as they seel those onboard. First time I ever brought back cigars the store seller took off the bands and put on Jamaiccan labels for me. It is illegal to bring them into the country and that is stressed at the debarkation talks.

SRobinM July 27th, 2003 11:23 AM

How much were they?

SRobinM July 27th, 2003 11:24 AM

OH and where did you get them. I'm going to cozumel and Belize city. I probobly won't really have time to buy any in cozumel... but I'm spending the day in San Pedro when we're in belize.

Nanatravel July 28th, 2003 10:54 AM

We bought Dominican Cigars for a friend in Belize right at the port shopping center. The small store is in the middle of this nice tourist village. I believe it is the only store with a walk in humidor. For Dominican's it was $11 each. It is still against the law to bring Cuban cigars back into the USA. You can have them confiscated and be fined. It is up to you.

mbuckellew July 28th, 2003 02:02 PM

It is illegal to bring Cuban cigars into the U.S. If you do a search on Cruisemates some people have written about how they got away with importing them, but you face stiff penalties if you are caught. Like Nanatravel says, it is up to you. Personally I don't think it's worth the risk.

Dominican cigars are excellent quality and legal to import. Ask your brother if he would mind having some of those instead.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

MikeInPgh July 29th, 2003 09:41 AM

If you can not prove they are somethign other than Cuban (if you take the ring off and do not have a sealed box). Customs will take them (and smoke them after work).

MichelleM July 29th, 2003 12:17 PM

Carnival stresses they are illegal to bring back in their debarkation talk. I guess so no one can come back and say "no one told me."

Jay12 July 30th, 2003 03:29 PM

Very illegal! DO NOT even try to bring back Cuban cigars back into the United States.
There are many cigars that are just as good or better than a Cuban. The whole "mystic" about having a Cuban has gotten many people in trouble.

SRobinM July 31st, 2003 06:10 PM

So, my boyfriend who is a law student was convinced he could buy a box for "personal consumption" as mentioned before (for my brother), and it is legal... so I checked the US customs website and you are all indeed correct. Cuba is listed as one of the countries that you can not buy anything from and bring it in the country for any reason. So I guess we'll just have to have one while we're there... buy one and smoke it on the ship... I'm sure there are plenty of people who have managed to bring it back without being stopped but after trying to bring....SAUSAGE...from Europe... (Mad Cow Disease), I learned my lesson about customs laws...

MichelleM July 31st, 2003 06:45 PM

Plenty of people buy them and smoke them on the ship (well except on the Paradise of course). Pretty much every debarkation talk I have been to has some type of joke by the cruise director about a Cuban cigar smoking party at the rear of the ship that last night.