Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Passenger

Default Ochos Rios & Grand Cayman - What's different to do?

We will be cruising to Ochos Rios & Grand Cayman in August, and would like ideas of something to do. We've already done Dunns Falls and swim with the Sting Rays in Grand Cayman. Loved both of them. Would like advice on other things to do. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2003, 09:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to BambiRumsey Send a message via MSN to BambiRumsey
Default Re: Ochos Rios & Grand Cayman - What's different to do?

Do you Snorkel at all? In Grand Cayman I like to make my own way and upon disembarking the tender at the pier I make a right and gho about 2-3 blocks down that main drag to Paradise Cove where you can just walk down some steps to s nice little reef and they also offer a yummy reasonably priced lunch menu at their cafe. They have a dive shop their but if you are scuba divers I think Eden Rock a little further down the street offers better deals.

Oddly enough, in all my times to GC, I have never been to 7 Mile Beach but I hear that the excursions there can be very nice.

As for Jamaica, unless I am with someone who has never done the falls, I tend to just stay on the boat. One time when we docked in Montego Bay we did a snorkel boat trip that dropped us off at Margaritaville for the rest of the day and that wasn't too bad but I found the water to be very choppy and not too clear for snorkeling.
Old July 27th, 2003, 10:33 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Ochos Rios & Grand Cayman - What's different to

Thank you. I think we will try Paradise Cove as we do love to snorkel. We have been to seven mile beach. It's a beautiful beach, with snorkeling that is good but not great. As for Jamaica, we're thinking of trying the river tubing which so many people have raved about. Just wish we could get a price for this. Can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know if you can do this on your own, or if you need to this through a ship tour?
Old July 28th, 2003, 12:07 AM
Mark Ericksen

Default Re: Re: Re: Ochos Rios & Grand Cayman - What's different

There is a guide named Peat Taylor who is well known on these boards. When we took a tour of Ochos Rios with Peat he mentioned that he takes folks river tubing. You may wish to Email him for more information.
Old July 28th, 2003, 07:31 AM
Admiral

I think the tour you are talking about is the raft tour on the Martha Brea River. Its not tubing, you sit on these long bamboo rafts and a river guide poles you down the river, Its a great tour, very relaxing, we booked ours with the ship, the ship provided a box lunch also- great time.
Old July 30th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Browezilla

Try this websiteGrand Cayman Snorkeling. Lists many places within walking distance from the dock area, with explicit directions how to get there and what to expect.
Old August 4th, 2003, 05:09 PM
First Mate

I will go and hang with the rays everytime @ Grand Caymen. Couldn't think of a better way to spend the day. I also enjoy visiting the Moray eel nearby at the snorkle site.

In Jamaica I once took a tour with RCL tubing on the white river. Great tour! Clear cool spring water that winds through lush countryside. Very nice!
Old August 5th, 2003, 09:17 AM
cutegrll

Im going snorkling!!
Old August 7th, 2003, 08:04 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Ochos Rios & Grand Cayman - What's different to

Hi there, You could ask Peat Taylor how much he would charge to take you and wait. We have done it 3 times and it is definitely cheaper to pay on your own. Unfortunately I cannot remember how much we paid. I think it was between $15. - $25 per person and
they charge half for kids. It is only 10 minutes out of Ocho unlike Martha Brae which is a bout a 2 hour bus ride each way. The ride up to the White River is a little intimidating
but the guys were great. Ask for Rambo and Dwight they are wonderful and hard working. They used to do river rafting as well as the tubing but last year they just had the tubing. The kids had a great time.
Old August 8th, 2003, 10:34 PM
Singbluesilver

Default Re: Re: Re: Ochos Rios & Grand Cayman - What's different

I read in a book that if your ship doesn't offer river tubing on the excursions you can contact the vendor directly at safari@cwjamaica.com and they will try to get you on a tour....by the way, its 54 bucks thru Royal Caribbean excursiond.