Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 3rd, 2003, 11:14 AM
Passenger

Default cave tubing

Hi there, can anyone who has cdone this excursion tell me is it a gentle ride? Do you see any snakes or birds, animals, etc? Do you think it is appropriate for our 2 girls - ages 10 and 15. Thank you!!! Debbie
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Passenger

Default Re: cave tubing

Yes, I took this excursion through Carnival & had a wonderful experience. It is a gentle,relaxing ride. I suppose it might be a little swift here & there if there had been alot of recent rain but I don't think it would be anything to worry about. We didn't see any animals or anything on my tour but a beautiful rainforest walk. The people on my tour were all older but I don't see any reason why your teenagers would have any problems with the tour. I can send you some pic's if you wish. Have fun!

Cathy (Shannon's wife)
Old August 4th, 2003, 04:14 PM
MichelleM

There were a few boys on our cave tubing trip about the age of your kids and they had a great time. The guide made the kids wear lifejackets were it was optional for adults.

The river wasn't overly swift when I was there, in fact we did alot of paddling to keep moving.

Didn't see any wildlife but the walk to the mouth of the river was pretty just make sure to wear decent walking shoes as it is a 30 minute walk on a pebble path carrying your tubes, those with sandals were in misery having to dump the pebbles out all the time.
Old August 5th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Reggie Trapp, private cave tour operator, discourages children under 12. The water level and swiftness depends on the season. The float is about 2 hours. Ours was in April which was very dry. We had to paddle with our hands almost constantly. I actually held on to a little girl about 12 whose parents went way ahead of her. Sometimes you paddle backwards and some in human chains holding onto your neighbors tube with your feet. We did not see any wildlife. As Reggie says, if there were snakes in the water, he would not be your guide! Lifevests are available, but it is not a float through rapids. Wear old cloth tennis sneakers or Teva style sandals. Aqua shoes fall off and offer no support during the hike.
Old August 6th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Passenger

Would love to see your pictures and also i want to make sure i understand everyone carries their own tube for the hike through the rainforest? What about on the way back?
Old August 6th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Admiral

You carry your tube, wear your Head Lamp, wear your lifevest (if needed). It is about a 30-45 minute trek on a graded path through the jungle. It does get warm, but you are usually in the shade. Since you can't carry anything with you (I had a waterproof camera with a wrist strap) you don't have any water with you. Chewing gum helped alot. You walk back down hill on this same path carrying all of your gear on the way out. There are rest rooms where you can quickly change up before heading back into town or to lunch. Reggie supplied water bottles.
Old September 27th, 2003, 09:05 PM
jamie gunter

The walk after you are done with the tubbing is only about 100 yards.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 04:24 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to carla823
Default Re: Re: cave tubing

We are doing the Jungle Walk & Cave Tubing for our Belize excursion. (less then 40 days!!) Any advice on what to take or not take? I was going to bring a water-proof camera. Not sure what to do about money, ID, etc. Also, what are the best types of shoes...don't want to get regular walking shoes soaked. Do you leave a bag of things on the transport bus or head back to the ship to get your other things?

Thakns for the input...I can't wait to do this excursion!!

Carla

Enchantment of the Seas - Royal Caribbean
Old November 4th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Carla, you leave your "things" on the bus. We Carry/wear an Aqua safe for S&S card, a Credit card and a few $$. It is hard plastic and on a nylon rope worn around your neck. It is about a $5 purchase. I took the waterproof disposable camera and had the wrist strap on.
Old December 28th, 2003, 09:05 PM
can't wait

can anyone help me get a hold of this reggies cave tubing business?
Old December 30th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: cave tubing

I posted on another post his contact info.

Old January 4th, 2004, 08:32 AM
First Mate

My wife and I did this through Carnival the week after Thanksgiving. The walk through the jungle was not difficult, but we did see some paw prints from a big cat on the trail. No sign of it though. The water was cool that day but got used to it quick. Our guide made everybody wear there lifevests. Didn't even think about the water being 25 to 30 feet deep. The ride through the cave was lots of fun, had some spots wear it was fast some wear you had to paddle with your hands. The waterproof camera was useless inside. Don't know if a flash would have helped or not. I would definately do it again.
Old January 4th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Charlene & Daniel

We did the X-Stream Cave tubing excursion and the minimum age was 10 so you kids are the perfect age for it. Just make sure you are in a small group especially with the kids as you want to make sure that you can all hear the directions on what to do.

With Xstream they offer only small groups( max 15) so they can keep everyone together and you can hear and see everything the guide(ours was RIchard) was showing and telling us.

I hope you have a great cave tubing excursion!!!