Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2003, 08:24 PM
Beginner

Default Need info on Sapphire Beach in St Thomas USVI

We're going to be in ST Thomas in Nov. I'm looking for some info on Sapphire Beach.

Has anyone been to Sapphire Beach in St Thomas USVI? I'm looking to go to the beach and do snorkeling as well. I've heard Magen's Bay is nice, but over crowded. I've heard that Coki Beach is excellent for snorkeling, but tends to be crowded as well.

The ship has shore excursions going to both Coki and Magen's Bay, so I'm tending to stay away from those two areas. We're leaning towards doing our own thing and going to the beach and snorkel.

Does anyone know anything about Sapphire? Are there beach chairs available for rent? What do they charge for beach chairs? Is there snorkeling there? Is it any good? We have our own equipment.

Is this a safe area? I've heard that you shouldn't leave your valuables unattended. Other than that is the area safe?

We'll be there on a Sunday. Don't know if that matters, but it might.

Any pros and cons for Sapphire vs Coki would help. Right now I'm leaning towards Sapphire.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2003, 09:15 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Need info on Sapphire Beach in St Thomas USVI

Sapphire Beach is really nice. We went there a couple of years ago and loved it. The view from the beach is so beautiful. We will definitely go back there. We did not snorkel but other people were while we were there. The facilities are nice and we felt perfectly safe. We usually go over to St. John's for the day but Sapphire is more convenient if you want to allow time to shop in town.
Old August 17th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Browezilla

If you want to avoid the crowds, and still have good snorkeling, Sapphire or Secret Harbor are good choices. I don't recall waht the amenitites are though, but the snorkeling is good....and watch out for he iguanas in the trees :-) They seem to be everywhere.
Old August 18th, 2003, 11:51 PM
SSinCT

I use to to Public Relations for the resort stateside 10 years ago - it is a lovely family property that caters to children and adults - calm waters, nice facilities and easy to get to. I just met someone in my hometown who came back and said it was still in fine condition. I think Sapphire Beach is a natural choice.

However, that said since I had been to St. Thomas so many times ... I just got back from the Disney Magic and when we docked in St. Thomas I booked a day cruise over to St. John with Jester Sailing Adventures - jeste@islands.vi You can find a link to Captain Jim's website on the Virgin Island website under St. Thomas and then look for the scroll bar for day charters.He was amazing and charming and low key. Served a fabulous lunch and really made my 40th birthday a day to remember. We sailed to St. John for snorkeling, swimming, etc. He was great with my young daughter - had equipment and lifevests for her and catered to her eating needs (I emailed him in advance). We booked the 38 foot boat from 9am-3pm since this was a special day, but he also takes individual bookings as well. Anyway - enjoy your visit to St. Thomas!
Old August 21st, 2003, 02:15 PM
jpr21

stopped at sapphire a year ago -- easy taxi run there -- and arranged to have the driver come back at a certain time, and he was ,,

Sapphire is a nice family resort with a nice , very clean beach -- some coral, and shallow water , Staff was visible in telling guests not to disturb sea life or coral.

you can rent beach chairs, snorkel equipment
there is a restaurant, pool, bar, etc. The beach seemed to be exclusive to the resort -- extremely safe. I think there may have been sail boards , and some other toys for rent as well. Waiters take drink, food orders on the beach.

they do sell time shares, but it is not in the least pushy. They welcome you to use the facilities -- no charge.

the view of st. john in the distance is nice , the snorkeling isnt too great close to the beach, I guess its better farther out.

I would go back there again with the kids -- can come and go at your own pace, its very relaxing.

i have never been to coki beach, which was where we were heading when the taxi driver said we would like sapphire better(it was my next choice anyway)
Old August 21st, 2003, 02:21 PM
jpr21

Default one more thing

you asked prices on beach chairs , and I dont recall -- , since I dont remember they probably werent too expensive, i think there were all day and hourly rates. You can put chairs in the shade if you wish -- there are some trees along the beach. This is very similar to going to any resort , US or otherwise. Taxi fares are standard , you will be able to find this out on the ship. Most taxi's are open air with bench seating -- probably 15 or so passengers on each, they fill up and then leave, making stops on the way. If youre lucky your driver will narrate sights on the way.