Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2003, 05:42 PM
Yeoman

Default Is St. Croix off the cruise itineraries?

I though Celebrity had a cruise that stopped in St. Croix. But also remembering reading somewhere this was unsafe and they stopped going there.

Does anyone know if it's a port of call?
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2003, 10:38 PM
Hawkeye

Default Re: Is St. Croix off the cruise itineraries?

Most, if not all, cruise lines have dropped St. Croix for the reason you mentioned. It's actually too bad. We went there on Celebrity's Galaxy a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. It quickly became one of our favorites. I guess things have changed fairly drastically since we were there last.
Old August 20th, 2003, 07:28 AM
browezilla

Same here, I visited St. Croix on the Galaxy a couple years back and really enjoyed it. Is it really unsafe? I didn't get that impression at all when I was there. Is it more unsafe than La Gauria or Jamaica? I suspect that it was an economic decision, and not so much a safety issue.
Old August 21st, 2003, 09:39 PM
Hawkeye

According to my TA and a couple of other sources there were an increasing number of incidents in which tourists, particularly cruise ship passengers, were being robbed at gun point and physically assaulted in the process even if they cooperated.

I suppose it was a combination of safety and economics. I'm sure the cruise lines don't want their passengers placed in any type of danger and don't want to become the focus of a potential lawsuit for placing their passengers in a situation with that potential.

I never felt threatened at all while we were there. We liked the island so much, in fact, that we were considering it as a potential retirement spot. It's still on the list but.....
Old August 22nd, 2003, 03:23 PM
Passenger

The reason the cruise ships don't stop there anymore is politics and cash. St Thomas was paying more $ and wanted all the cruise ships in that port, or wanted St. Croix to pay the same amount of monies. We stayed on St.Croix in December of 2002 for a full week and had no trouble. We talked with a large group of locals at the rum factory and they explained all this. We found the island to be very beautiful, the locals friendly and we felt completely safe.
I look forward to returning soon.
Old August 23rd, 2003, 04:00 PM
MAGNUM

Default Re: Re: Is St. Croix off the cruise itineraries?

We stopped at St Croix, last February, on our Celebrity Constellation cruise. One of only a couple of ships, that stopped there. Celebrity has since replaced it, with St. Maarten.

We enjoyed our snorkling excursion to Buck Island; visited some of the local shops.

We never encountered any problems, the people were as friendly as at any other port.

I agree with a previous person: MONEY is a key factor. Cruise lines are in the business-to make money. Will exert their power, as they please. Believe that politics & money do influence, their decisions.