Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2003, 10:38 AM
Passenger

Default magens bay- St. Thomas

I want to take a taxi to Magens Bay from the cruise ship dock. Is it that far of a taxi ride?
How are the taxi's in St. Thomas? Does anyone know if theres any beggers or people selling you stuff on the beach? We want to have a wonderful beach day without having to keep saying no to the beach vendors. Any information would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Kathy
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2003, 10:18 PM
First Mate

Default Re: magens bay- St. Thomas

Check out www.vinow for a list of taxi rates as well as a map.

The day we were at Magen's in 2001 (cruise port), there were no beggars. In fact, the week we vacationed in the USVI last year, saw none the entire week. (Stayed on St John week of Thanksgiving). We returned this past March (2003) on a cruise and married on the beach on St John while in port. No beggars.

As far as people selling things: Tourism is the area's #1 industry
As far as people being PUSHY selling things: never encountered that on either St Thomas or St John. Have encountered that on other islands.

The taxi ride to Magen's is short, and there are plenty of taxis for all.

We loved Magen's, but fell even more in love with the beaches of St John. (Okay, so we fell in love with St John itself.) St John is a short taxi ride (to Red Hook) then 20-minute ferry (which runs hourly). I suggest reading the www.vinow.com website thoroughly, as they have a description of each beach. Some beaches are better for snorkeling, others better for facilities, some for calmer waters, etc. But if you have your heart set on staying on St Thomas and visiting Magen's, you won't be disappointed there either.

~ Mandy
Old August 23rd, 2003, 10:21 PM
First Mate

Oh - I have never encountered people selling things on the beach.
Old August 24th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Kathy,
We had no problem with people on the beach at Meagans, its a beautiful beach, very calm water and the snorkeling is pretty non extistent there, but still a wonderful day at the beach. There is usually a lot of traffic on the way to the beach, you have to go through downtown, but it usually takes at least 20 minutes, depending on how busy the streets are. The taxi's there are really open bus's, so it may take a few minutes for the driver to get it filled before he leaves.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 25th, 2003, 08:41 AM
Admiral

as the other's have said, Maegan's Bay is a beautiful beach, it can get a bit crowded sometimes and their really isn't any snorkeling. If you are looking for snorkeling then i would suggest either Coki Beach or a trip over to St. John island and either Trunk Bay or Cinnamon Beach
Old August 27th, 2003, 10:03 PM
Kar06

When I went to Magen's Bay last March, we did not find it to be very crowded, and did not encounter anyone selling things on the beach. When you are facing the water from the beach, my family most of the way down the beach to the right.

Magen's Bay was fabulous!
Old August 28th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: magens bay- St. Thomas

Thanks for all the info. about Magens Bay!

Kathy
Old August 29th, 2003, 05:40 AM
gogetter

Hello,

One more caution.........watch out for taxi guys wanting to take you to downtown first. A guy did that to us....pissed me off. I got out of his taxi and found a cool guy. He called himself the black giligan...mr reliable...he truly was.....
Old September 6th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Passenger

We were at Maegan's Bay in January. We went there because somewhere my wife read that it was one of the top 10 beaches in the world. I'm still wondering where she read that. Don't get me wrong, it was nice, but IMHO, it was not spectacular in any way. If you are headed to Maegan's Bay to see something grand, enjoy the sand, the peace and the water, take the advice of some of the other folks who have posted and head to St. Johns.