Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2003, 08:20 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to -Rob
Default weather / Janurary / Bahamas???

Hey, we normally take our caribbean cruises in June/July, and its always quite hot.... duh. We decided to also take a short cruise to the Bahamas in Janurary of 2004. What is the weather like in the bahamas, as well as Port Canaveral / Orlando??? I live in Charleston SC, which i guess the weather is pretty much like orlandos most of the time. So should i expect the same temps in Orlando as Charleston?? And now finally the Bahamas, and its in Mid Janurary 2004. I posted on the teen board, but no one answered! THANKS!!

Rob

Ecstasy - June 2000
Jubilee - July 2001
Pride - June 2003
Sovereign - Janurary 2004
Mariner - June 2004
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Admiral

Default Re: weather / Janurary / Bahamas???

Rob- go by your weather in SC. Orlando might be a bit warmer because its inland. We went to Nassau in January and it was cold, damp and rainy, you probably won't get a lot of beach or swim time in, the median temperature is probably mid 70's.
Old September 5th, 2003, 10:36 AM
Mmketeer

Hi,

I have cruised at least 6 times and at least one of those times during Jan. on DCL. I must say it was the smoothest sailing we have ever had on a crusieship! The temp.'s in Orlando kinda depends on if their are any cold fronts that make it down here. I am a Florida native so my views on what's cold will be deff. from others that live North of here. But, let me just say, when I have to thaw out I run to the Carribean! The Bahamas in perticular, at this point (until I go on my first 7 day cruise...I usually only do a quick 3 or 4 day) the Bahamas are my most favorite tropical destination to visit! The water is gorgeous and the people very friendly! I have always worn shorts on my cruises and that includes any trip I have every taken to the Bahmas even during Jan! Before you leave Port Canveral, you may need pants and a jacket but by the time you get out near the islands it'll be sunny and warm! Now, I absolutly refuse to go in the ocean that time of year (cause' again remember I am a native and the water temp. is way to chilly for me) but, that didn't stop most people from enjoying the ocean! I would never hesitate to crusie or vacation in the Bahamas in Jan.! Matter of fact, I thought about going again this year back when I was suppose to be sailing on RCCL in a few weeks, but since we had to change our vacation dates to the first week of Dec. I think it'll be too soon for me to afford to cruise again a month later. Too bad for me....but, you enjoy the 80 degree weather and sunshine over there! Have a great time!

Mmketeer...Mariner of the Seas/Nov.30th,2003
Old September 6th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Familiar Face

We have often cruise in January but we avoid leaving from Florida as one year it was cold for 3-4 days of the cruise. The best bet in January is to sail out of san Juan & go south to be guaranteed warm weather! johnny
Old September 7th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to -Rob

Thanks Mmketeer. Now i'm excited to go to the Bahamas in Jan. The 1st post wasnt very promising with the cold damp and rainy thing... Thanks everyone!

Rob
Old September 10th, 2003, 01:58 PM
WendyL

We cruised in mid-January of 2002 and 2003. In 2002, we cruised on Holland America from Fort Lauderdale. The weather was warm and we found the weather in the Bahamas very pleasant. This last January, we went out of Port Canaveral. It was very cool in Florida and didn't warm up until we got down to the U.S. Virgin Island. The day we stopped at HAL's private island in the Bahamas, it was cold and windy. Hardly beach weather. We are going again this January and have decided to try the Western Carribean (leaving out of Tampa) in the hopes that we'll have warmer weather. Good luck!
Old September 10th, 2003, 08:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think I recall that winter of 2003 was a El Nino year when the Caribbean waters
were cool and windy weatherwise. We went on Carnival Triumph in December
of 2002 and the Caribbean was just starting to feel the effects of El Nino. I
remember even Miami was cool and rainy in the days before we boarded.
Once we boarded, the first two sea days were so cool that passengers used
the beach towels to keep warm on deck instead of laying on them! And you needed
to wear slacks and sweaters in the evenings! But once we got far enough south
into St. Thomas, the weather got warmer.
Now that El Nino is gone, the rest of this year and 2004 should hopefully be more
normal- warm and sunny winter season.

JanGail