Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 7th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Captain

Default Bahamas..calling home ???

If I want to call home from the Bahamas...what is the best way? Do they offer a calling card I can use from there? Or should I call collect...is it cheaper than the $8 per minute aboard ship?
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Jessica Page

Default Re: Bahamas..calling home ???

Ask the crew on board the ship as most islands have phone rooms that you can call from for $1.50 or $2 per minute and seeing as the staff on the ship mostly call home from the islands they always know the best places to go... by staff really I mean the waiters and bar staff.
Old September 11th, 2003, 01:03 PM
Captain

Thanks....I also heard to contact SBC, or AT&T as there calling cards can be used.
Will check that out and post if I get anything new.

Sensation

Old September 14th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Bahamas..calling home ???

Do not do what I did. I used a payphone on the plaza just past security check in Nassau. I dialed the operator first and asker her the fee. She told me it was $5.00 per minute. I figured a two minute call would not be too bad. I turned out to be a 1 minute call because the person I was calling was not there. It was a $43.00+ one minute call that appeared on my credit card. The company is in sandiego CA. When I called them they informed me that it is $5.00 per minute with a 5 minute minimum and a $15.00 connection fee. There was also tax for a total of more than $43.00. My buddy bought a calling card from a wall mounted machine inside that cost him $1.00 per minute. They were available in 5-10-20 dollar cards. I hate that operator.

MARINER OF THE SEAS 10/31/2004
Sensation 4/17/2004
SOS 4/2003
Fantasy 1991 AND 2002
GLORY 8/2003
Old September 15th, 2003, 03:53 PM
First Mate

If you have a cell phone it should work fine. Especially if you use AT&T. AT&T is also available in San Juan & St Thomas.

Old September 22nd, 2003, 12:55 PM
Captain

I purchased 2 $10 cards from Walgreens that say "International" and have the Bahamas and Jamaica, and Mexico listed on the back. My daughter will be in the Bahamas next month , so I wil lwt her try them out before our November West Carib...hope they work....Anyone else tried these????

Sensation

Old September 22nd, 2003, 04:24 PM
Mmketeer

Hi,

We go to the Bahamas about once a year and always have to call home to check on our kids (two Boston Terriers) it's really easy to call from Nassau and Freeport. Most stores sell a $10 phone card that's specifically for calling from the Bahamas to America. We call Florida and never use up our one phone card in the time we have the card. I can't remeber the specifics cause I haven't been back since Dec.02, but I remember it being blue and white. I would certainly get the phone card instead of calling from the ship or using your phone plan (unless you have a really good deal). I don't trust buying phone cards here and using them out of the country, cause once your off US soil who do you blame when it doesn't work. Also, their are pay phones all over the place in Nassau (by the boat dock exit, around the sqaure, and near the police station). Also, their are some really nice pay phones on Paradise Island at Atlantis. Most pay phones take calling cards and credit cards now on the island...when I first started going there thier were only a few!<BG>

No worries...<BG>
Mmketeer....RCCL's Mariner/Nov.30.2003