Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default RENTAL CAR @PORT OF MIAMI

We're sailing on Voyager in Dec & are planning to stay @ Holiday Inn near the port the night before. We are flying out of Fort Lauderdale in the evening & need to rent a car after debarkation in Miami. We heard that Hertz has a shuttle to the port in Miami..any info or suggestions? There are 4 of us & it seems like it would be expensive for all of us to take the cruise ship shuttle back to the airport to pick up the car. Are there any car rentals @ the port?
Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2003, 04:59 PM
RMG

Default Re: RENTAL CAR @PORT OF MIAMI

I would recommend the shuttle over renting a car.. it would probably be cheaper and lots less hassle....
Old September 11th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

We flew into Ft Lauderdale last year (March 2002) to go on the Voyager. We rented a car at the airport because we came in a day early and returned it at the port. We were maybe a block from check in. When we returned from the cruise, we had a car rental waiting on us to go back to the airport. I had excellent rates....less than $35 each way. Cheap transportation for the 4 of us, plus we had it to use to go to the beach, to eat, etc. The only problem we encountered was forgetting to fill the tank before arriving at the port. The gas rate was over $4.oo per gallon if Hertz filled it, but there were no convenient stations to do it ourself.
Old September 12th, 2003, 11:06 PM
browezilla

I'm renting from Hertz in Miami. They don't have a shuttle, but instead they reimburse you $15 for taxi to get from the port to their location. Give them a call to make sure you have all of the details, e.g. make sure you get a receipt.
Old September 17th, 2003, 05:31 PM
First Mate

Are you sure? I took a free shuttle from Miami to the port last year. Very convenient. Did they stop it?

Old September 24th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Admiral

I would rent a car vs taking a shuttle esp since you leave in the evening. I rented from Avis and they did pick up at port. You just had to call them when ready for pickup. Happy sailing!