Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2003, 07:27 PM
JeffNStacey

Default Palencaar Reef recommendation

My wife and I (30) will be in Cozumel on Sept 25, and will be coming in on the RCI Navigator of the Seas. I am interested in the best snorkel/scuba experience and hear that Palencaar would probably be our best bet. Neither of us are certified divers but would like to dive in deeper water, is there a way we can do that without being certified? I would also be interested hearing good/bad experiences people have had with different dive boats in the area.

Thanks in advanced.
Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Browezilla

Default Re: Palencaar Reef recommendation

Yes, you can do a "resort diving" course where an instructor goes out with you. You can dive in upto 25 feet of water I believe. The cost is about $110/person. Try Cozumel Sports. I'm using them in Oct.
Old September 15th, 2003, 07:42 AM
Admiral

check and see if the cruise ship offers a resort diving course, you aren't PADI certified but you can dive up to a certain depth with a dive instructor. We snorkeld the Palencaar Reef a couple of years ago, its amazing. Its fairly deep but you can see bottom when you snorkel that is until you hit the "wall" then it drops off..... We saw all kinds of fish, sea turtles, moraey eel, barracuda it was great. We booked our shore excrusion through our ship (Sea Princess) we had a great boat and dive master.
Old September 15th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Alex

Just curious - can you snorkel from shore or do you need a tour? I hear the beach is quite nice there.

Alex
Old September 15th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Alex you have to take a boat out to Palencaar Reef. Its amazing
Old September 15th, 2003, 10:30 PM
Hawkeye

Snorkeled both Palancar and Columbar reefs last year while on the Grand Princess. It was a combined tour with about two hours at each location. Both reefs are considered "open water" snorkel/dive sites. (Far enough off shore that it requires a boat to get there.)

Columbar was good but, as LisaK says, Palancar was awesome.

In addition to all that Lisa saw we also say a Manta ray. It just came out of nowhere, "flew" on by and was gone in seconds. The dive crew said it happens occasionally but is still fairly unusual.

If you have the opportunity to do Palancar don't pass it up. Definitely worth the time and cost.
Old September 16th, 2003, 06:02 PM
JeffNStacey

I contacted Eduardo Echeverrķa at http://www.Cozumelsports.com and he is recommending other sites instead of Palancar. He mentioned Dzul Ha, Paradise, San Clemente as alternatives, anybody been to these?

Also, what will the time difference be between the ship and Cozumel?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old September 17th, 2003, 12:10 PM
hcat

we recently saw this reeef from a semi-submersible. It was truly awesome..next time we would like to snorkel there. Could not imagine a better site....
Old September 18th, 2003, 09:31 AM
browezilla

The ship stays on whatever timezone it left from. If from Miami, this is eastern or eastern daylight savings. Cozumel is central (or Central daylight savings).
Old September 19th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Palencaar Reef recommendation

We went to Dzul Ha 4/03. It was okay. Kind of just another snorkeling place. There were a lot of little jelly fish "schools" when we were there that we had to kind of look out for. the beach was small and kind of just ok. Facilites were not great. Drinks & food were good. However, in the really good side, it's basically free. Maybe we were just snorkeled out on that cruise, (had already been to Grand Cayman).

I think next time we will try a trip to Palencaar. Dzul Ha was not awful. But not great like I'm hearing about Palencaar.