Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 22nd, 2003, 11:26 PM
mlbcruiser

Default St. Lucia - Capt. Fred's or Catamaran tour? PLEASE HELP!

I'm not only asking for myself on this question. Know of several people interested in seeing the pitons by boat. Our RCCL ship offers an excursion by catamaran that goes by the pitons, stops for 30 min. at the sulphur springs, 45 min. at Fond Doux Estate and anchors off of Anse Couchon for a bit of snorkeling or beach time. Another option is to go w/a private tour operator called Capt. Fred who offers a customized tour. Members of the group are choosing to stop on land to see the botannical gardens/ waterfall and I'm not sure what else. Some are worried about the beach stop as you must enter the water and not ride to shore in a boat. Have any of you done either tour and if so, what was your experience? (We have heard of human waste floating offshore of the beach, but this is the snorkeling location many tours go to as it is a sea sanctuary - or so I have heard. Makes one a bit nervous, though!) I had hoped to find a private cat tour so the boat wouldn't be so crowded (carries 75 people!), but no luck so far. Everytime I think I've made a decision on what to do, some new aspect crops up to change it. Any help appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2003, 09:47 AM
joto

Default Re: St. Lucia - Capt. Fred's or Catamaran tour? PLEASE HELP!

Went on that catamaran tour to Fond Doux estate. It was good. The estate was very informative and with pretty flowers and food plants that they use in the estate restaurant. It does all the things you said. The catamaran stops at a small bay for swimming, but does not go right up to the shore. I don't swim but hubby did not report any "mess" in the sea. Just some sea urchins so water shoes might be a good idea. The crew on the catamaran said not to flush the toilet when it was anchored so that may be the reason. There were drinks on board, water, Coke,fruit punch and rum punch which wasn't great and beer to buy for $2 a bottle. The annoying thing was that merchants in small boats seem to come out of nowhere to try and sell you necklaces, shells etc.
Old September 24th, 2003, 10:46 PM
mlbcruiser

Default Re: Re: St. Lucia - Capt. Fred's or Catamaran tour? PLEASE H

Thanks, Joto! Can you tell me if the catamaran was a very, very large one (that held like 75 people)? Did everyone sit in regular seats, vs. lying about on the deck or on the rope platform area? Were you under shade or sun on the cat, or was there a choice? We are trying to avoid a "cattle call" type experience but the trip sounds very interesting. A hard decision, and costly at that, so we are trying to find out all we can before committing.
Old September 30th, 2003, 10:28 AM
joto

Default Re: Re: Re: St. Lucia - Capt. Fred's or Catamaran tour? PLEA

The catamaran was a large one, but did not seem over crowded. I did not see a rope net slung anywhere. The chairs were the regular plastic patio chairs and there were some fixed seating benches along the sides. Some of the chairs were in the shade and some were in the front and the rear of the boat. So it helps if you get on earlier you will get a greater choice of seating. The buffet lunch they serve on board was nice but not as nice as the AOS though, although I was hungry. Hope you enjoy your trip whatever you decide to do.
Old October 19th, 2003, 11:57 PM
mlbcruiser

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: St. Lucia - Capt. Fred's or Catamaran tour?

Thanks for the info., Joto. Seems like there isn't much chance of getting to do the Capt. Fred trip now anyway because someone on one of the boards who was working on it for us could not round up enough people to charter his yacht. There was a minimum # needed. So now the Fond Doux cat tour is probably our only option unless we do one that merely takes a cruise past the pitons and that's it. I do appreciate your reply.