Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 3rd, 2003, 06:58 AM
Jen & Jean

Default Jeep rental in Cozumel- from who?

will be going to Cozumel in November and would like to rent a Jeep this time. I can't remember which companies have locations right at the pier. Does anyone know? would you advise booking ahead of time or just doing it that day we dock? thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2003, 05:16 PM
Margaret Cochran

Default Re: Jeep rental in Cozumel- from who?

We just returned from Cozumel (aboard Carnival Triumph) My experience w/ renting jeeps, you can wait until you get there. Be sure to go to Playa Sol (beach) approx. 12
miles from Cozumel. It is great. $8.00 all beach services (+non motorized water sports)
$33.00 (drinks, jet skiing, etc.) There are trampolines in the water and an inflated "ice berg" to climb. (When visiting Aruba, you can also rent jeeps at the pier approx. $60.00 all day.) Since the last time we were in Cozumel- 6 years ago, there is now a brand new
port area. The ship did not dock directly in Cozumel. Maya ? You have to walk thru the shopping area to the other side, to get to the taxi and vehicle area. Beautiful area.
Old October 4th, 2003, 04:36 PM
SLHALLEY

WE ARE ALSO GOING TO COZUMEL IN NOVEMBER AND WOUL LIKE TO RENT A CAR. IS THERE A RENTAL PLACE CLOSE TO THE PORT?
Old October 7th, 2003, 09:56 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Jeep rental in Cozumel- from who?

We were in Cozumel in April & rented a jeep. It was definitely fun & worth it. However, I was a little confused about how (easy) it was to get a jeep. I had read posts that said people were holding signs to rent jeeps. We didn't find that to be the case.

THere are 2 pirtd (at least that I know of) in Coz. We were downtown this time & just started walking looking for a place (that I thought would be everywhere). You can definitely bypass the whole "mall" when you're on a mission - just turn to the left and go out the side. We turned left & then just kept going down the street. Our ship got in early & places didn't open until 8 or 9. We were 2nd in line at a rental place & there was only 1 jeep to rent so the people in front of us got it.

We ended up going back to the Hertz rental which was right next to the pier, only turn right, not left, & got the jeep there. I think it was $60 or $80 for the day. Felt comfortable w/ Hertz & it was a good jeep (after we turned down the first one because there was no rearview mirror).

I don't know about the other pier where rental places are.

I had read before we got there that there are only 2 gas stations on the island, so you might want to locate those at some point so you can return the jeep w/ the gas (or put it in as the case may be). We drove all around the island & really enjoyed it. Went to San Gervasio Ruins first which (IMHO) are not all that great. We hired a guide which could be okay, but we couldn't understand him & he talked way too much. But the far side of the island was really pretty. Snorkeled on Dzul Ha, drove some more & then returned the jeep before we did a little shopping downtown.

Have a great time.
Old October 8th, 2003, 07:30 PM
seabee

We rented a jeep in advance from Avis. they have a rental office right at the Maritime Pier. Don't know about the downtown pier. Jeep was great for 4 adults. I agree that you can probably rent when you arrive, but it may depend on how many ships are in port that day.
Old October 9th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Jen & Jean

Default Re: Re: Jeep rental in Cozumel- from who?

We're on Carnival - is that the Maritime Pier. We were on a Carnival ship in March and it docked at the new pier. That's the Maritime? Thanks so much, I just want to be sure. I appreciate your help.

Also, I have 3 little kids (4, 7, 10) will they fit in the back seat?

Jen