Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 3rd, 2003, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Default What to do... 3 new ports for us.

We are going on the Veendam this November. This is our fourth time in the Western Caribbean but we are visiting three new ports (to us) in addition to Cozumel. They are Santo Tomas de Castilla, Guatamala; Belize, and Costa Maya. (Not necessarily in order)

If any cruisers have great advice on things to do or things to avoid, we would be happy to get the opinions of others. Otherwise we will just wing it.

The date is getting closer and we're starting to daydream a bit.

Thanks! Chuck & David
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2003, 08:37 PM
Passenger

Default Re: What to do... 3 new ports for us.

Hi Chuck & David,

If you like to horseback ride, Banana Bank Lodge in Belize is fun. A ride through the rain forest. To get there you take a short boat trip on the river too.

Old October 3rd, 2003, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hey Chuck,
Let me know what you end up doing in Costa Maya and Belize, will be there next Feb and have some ideas, but would love to hear you input when you get back..

Thanks,

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 5th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Passenger

oooooh!!!
Sounds fun!
I believe both Belize and Guatamela have Mayan ruins, you may want to check into tours to them. It might be a *long* day but in my opinion worth it.
Lisa
Old October 6th, 2003, 07:08 AM
Admiral

Belize does have the ruins and so does Costa Maya. There is not too much to do in Costa Maya so definately do the ruins there at least. Also available in Belize is cave tubing.
Old October 6th, 2003, 12:29 PM
First Mate

Just came back from Belize - cave tubing is the biggest thing there. i didnt' do that - instead, I took a private tour of the area, including the city, and Altun Ha mayan ruins. Was about 4-5 hours. No beaches in Belize and not really a downtown for shopping. So, have a tour ready, or you can book something last minute at the dock when you get off (all the tour companies are there tyring to get you to purchase their services). I wouldn't recommend just venturing off on your own - book a tour (either in advance, on the ship, or when you get off). Hope this helps some.
Old October 16th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Holly Williams

HI, I have been on this computer for weeks reasurching this. We are five, my husband , myself, our son 15, daughter 17, and her bow 19. The latter wanted cave tubbing, I wanted snorkel tours and GOOD SEAFOOD, hubby doesn't care (just feed him) our son is afraid of the sea having been stung by jelly fish in Mazatlan at age 6; soo I found this web site "www.gocayecaulker.com". There are boat loads of info, as well as other links. We will be taking the public water taxi to the caye and have arranged to have a private 3 hr. snorkle tour for $20. US per person through Sally at Sea Side Cabanas, they are # 18 on the services you will find on the map at this site, along with taxi schedule, fares, ect. Bon Voyage & Bon Appatitte! P.S. all tour operators are registered through the local gov't., have not herd one negative comment.