Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2003, 01:04 PM
CCM44

Default Casa de Campo?

Can anyone tell me their opinions on Casa de Campo? We are headed there in November & everyone is disappointed that it is not a Catalina Island stop instead. What do you know that they might not? Good, bad? Let's hear it.

Thanks................
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2003, 09:40 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Casa de Campo?

Just returned from Paradise and stopped there. Everyone who took a ship excursion was pleased -- without exception, best I could tell. We did the Altos de Chavon Village and Riverboat Tour. The riverboat tour just lapped down the river and back, very relaxing, rum offered. Then we rode up to Altos de Chavon, an artist's village built by a prince as a gift for his lover. It's built on a bluff, which overlooks a golf course, the rain forest, and the river. Lovely village with many photo ops, and great shops. A wonderful afternoon.

Other friends took the Catalina Island Beach Break and loved it. Other friends took the Saona Beach Excursion, and said it was the best excursion they had done all week.

Happy cruising!

RCL x5: Majesty of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas

Celebrity x1: Century

Princess x3: Caribbean Princess x3, Dawn Princess

NCL x1: NCL Spirit
Old October 12th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Casa de Campo?

I did a detailed review of this port in my Paradise Review on the "Reader Reviews" page. This port is different from every other one I've been to - nowhere near a city, just a giant parking lot and there is an area where you can get a cab. My husband and I took the Saona Beach excursion which was great with two big negatives - I thought the guides behaved somewhat inappropriately with some of the guests, and there was a BIG mosquito problem on Saona Island. I would definitely take bug spray if you choose to do this, because other than that problem the island was truly paradise. I have read other reviews where this was not an issue at all - for all I know we were on a different side of the island or not even Saona at all! But they told us we were at Saona and also that this bug problem was normal.