Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 15th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Passenger

Default Help with Cozumel Excursions!

Hi,
Not sure what to do in Cozumel as far as excursions. The Voyager ship offers two that my husband and I are thinking about doing. Dolphin encounter at Chankanaab Park or Play Sol Beach Club? I have a couple of questions though....

1) Play Sol Beach Break duration is listed as...At Your Leisure... What does this mean? Is this a good place to go?
2) We don't have kids, and are in our early 30's so I was wondering if the dolphin encounter at Chankanaab Park was geared more for families?
3) Do we have to take one of those excursions or can we take a taxi to either of those places.

Any opinions as to which place is better? Or any other excursion? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Help with Cozumel Excursions!

You never *have* to take an excursion as far as I understand it. You can take a cab to these places. The biggest benefit to going on the excursion with the cruise is that everything is taken care for you (rides to and from) and you dont have to worry aboot missing the boat.
I've never done the dolphin thingy but would love to. So basically I don't know if it's geared towards families but I say go for it. It's a once in a lifetime oppurtunity. I can't imagine it not being fun for anyone at any age.
As for as the beach thing "at your leisure" i would assume that means they will give you transportation to and from the beach whenever you want. for example the dolphin thing you wouldnt be able to leave in the middle of it if you went with the cruise because you would have other people there, etc, but the beach thing just sounds like they will take you back to the boat, or you can leave and do something else whenever you are done at the beach.
enjoy
:-)
Lisa

Serenade of the Seas
Old October 15th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Our stop in Cozumel we're going to do the dolphin discovery tour thru dolphin discovery.
All you do it catch a cab to channakab park and you can hang out there, swim, etc...and do the dolphin tours too. Booking thru them directly is cheaper then thru the cruiselines.

Old October 16th, 2003, 07:42 AM
Admiral

A couple of things, there is a difference between a dolphin "encounter" and a dolphin "swim". A dolphin encounter is you and a bunch of other people standing on a platform in the water, the dolphins swim by you, you get to pet them, they do some tricks, the swim on the other hand is exactly that, you and a dolphin swimming together. You can book it on your own, with dolphin discovery - they book up really fast. . Haven't experience Playa so i can't comment. You can get around Cozumel very easily on your own by cab.
Old October 16th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Admiral

You can do both on your own by taking a taxi (Chankannab about $8/ Playa about $14). There is an entry fee into both. For the Dolphin Swim, you must book before you travel as that gets booked up and is capacity controlled. If you love to snorkle and want to do the dolphin thing, then Chankannab is right for you. There is a man made beach but you have to go down rock stairs to the ocean. Playa del Sol is a beach club with a pool, water craft, restaurant & bar, facilities, etc. Ship's tours also stop here. Depending on how many ships are in port will give you an idea how crowded it could get. Check out:
www.cozumelinsider.com/cruiseships. Click on beaches too for more information. We are going to Coz on the Conquest in less than 2 weeks. We plan to go to Mr. Sancho's a free beach club that has restaurant & bars, a 30 person jacuzzi, water sports equipment to rent and a double water trampoline. They like you to eat and drink there, so they don't charge entry. It is about a $15 taxi ride each way, which is per taxi not per person.
Bon Voyage
Old October 17th, 2003, 10:00 AM
Erik Y

After all the fun (with whatever you end up doing) head to Carlos n Charlies for a bite to eat and a few drinks....its a wild party that alot of cruise passengers go to, b/c its right near the pier.