Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2003, 06:25 AM
Beginner

Default San Juan Puerto Rico hotel suggestion PLEASE!!!

My wife and I will be taking our first cruise this coming July and it is a southern carribean cruise aboard the Golden Princess which departs from San Juan. I am booking my own air to save $$$ and we will be traveling to San Juan a couple of days early. I need to book a hotel room which is relatively convenient to both SJU airport and where ever the cruise ships departs from. I found a hotel I was interested in using Travelocity only to later learn it is 90 minutes from the airport. I feel that is too far as we will probably need to travel via taxi's etc. Any suggestions or practical advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Jeanne&Ellis

Default Re: San Juan Puerto Rico hotel suggestion PLEASE!!!

If you click on "People" and then, Chit Chat for cruisers, I find I usually can get a quick response also you can go to "practical Advise" click on Hotels. Hope this helps.

Old October 19th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Rustyfan2

We stayed at Wyndham Old San Juan 2 days prior to our cruise. It is also only about 2-3 blocks to the Parrot Club. Everything is walking distance from there. We booked the room last minute while in OSJ and there for was not able to look for rate specials etc. The place was very nice, clean & large well appointed rooms. We were not disappointed. The hotel we had originally booked was a cockroach infested hovel that we had booked online through Travelocity. I called the Wyndham from the Milano and had no problem getting a room at the last minute. We did pay $129 a night at the Wyndham, but were in no position to bargin. This was only $4 more a night than what we were going to pay at the "Bug House". Live and learn I say. DO NOT STAY AT THE HOTEL MILANO!

No matter where you stay, you will end up taking a cab from airport to hotel and hotel to ship. Carnival docks right across the street from the Wyndham OSJ, but RCCL is across the bay and too far to walk to. I believe Princess too leaves from the Pam American pier. Taxis are plentiful and rates are set. Of course tips are expected (by everybody in the world it seems). It was $15 from the Wydham OSJ to the Pam Am pier, plus tip. The baggage handlers at the pier too state right up front that they do work for tips. Just bring a supply of one dollar bills.

Alot of people do the priceline thing and can get great rates, but depends on what time of year you want to stay. I have heard that the Caribe Hilton and Intercontenental are also nice places to stay and can be had on priceline. If you go to tripadvisor.com, they have alot of reviews on all of the local hotels.

Good luck and enjoy that cruise!

Kris
Majesty 4/99
Explorer 3/01
Adventure 10/03
Old October 19th, 2003, 08:05 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: San Juan Puerto Rico hotel suggestion PLEASE!!!

Kris,

Thanks so much for the information. I decided to book at the Wyndham and can't wait!

Thanks again.
Old October 19th, 2003, 11:47 PM
Joe V.

Is taxi the only way to go from Old San Juan Wyndham or do they have shuttles going to the boat? Also what did it cost from the airport to the hotel? Thank you
Old October 20th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Rustyfan2

I believe the ship has shuttle buses from the Wyndham, check with RCCL. You would have to purchase their transfers and I think the taxi ends up being cheaper than the bus & quicker too.
Old October 20th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Passenger

WELL I'M PUERTO RICAN AND YOU JUST NEED TO ASK THE BUS DRIVER WHICH BUS TAKE YOU TO THE OLD SAN JUAN AND THAT IS. AND THE COST IS JUST LI .50 CENT OR A DOLLAR PER PERSON PER TRIP.IF ANYONE HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT PUERTO RICO I CAN HELP YOU. MY EMAIL IS RAMOSS_JORGE@YAHOO.COM
Old October 20th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Passenger

I'M SORRY THE BUS THAT I REFER IS THE PUBLIC BUS WHICH CALL AMA OR METROBUS
Old October 21st, 2003, 11:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm from Puerto Rico too, and I just wanted to clarify. Yes, you could take the bus or Metrobus, but in this case, it won't help you much, since I believe that this bus does not have a stop at the Pan American pier. Plus, you'd be carrying luggage, so it would be a hassle. Most of the times these busses run full of passengers. It would be much easier just taking a cab to the pier. I don't think that the Wyndham has a shuttle, but it couldn't hurt to ask. Oh, and by the way, if I am not mistaken, Princess does not uses the Pan American pier. I was at Old San Juan last Sunday, and the Dawn Princess was there, but at another pier, don't remember the name, though I can find it out for you if you want. At the Pan American pier was the Adventure of the Seas, and at the pier right across the Wyndham there was the Carnival Destiny, which always uses this pier. I hope this helps you out a little.

first timer
Old October 21st, 2003, 04:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Plano97
Default San Juan Puerto Rico hotel suggestion PLEASE!!!

thefays2, you can bid 4star or resort only on priceline.com and you will get nice and clean hotels for alot less than booking directly. Last June, I got the Caribe Hilton for around $60 for the post cruise stay and $90 at the Intercontinental for the pre cruise stay.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 09:47 PM
lindalarsen

Firstimer and Jorge-
We will be staying in San Juan 2 days in January before our Princess cruise. Can you suggest some beautiful beaches to visit and maybe a couple sites? We were there last April and loved San Juan. We went to El Morrow and shopped, but didn't have time to see the beaches or rainforest. Also, we were on NCL and docked across from the Old Wyndham, does Princess dock there too? We reserved a room in Old San Juan assuming Princess docked there.
Thank you!
Linda
Old October 23rd, 2003, 10:48 AM
Passenger

well i was on the sea princess on march and it pier was at the enter of san juan so you may get a cab to and from the cruise if you one to be on old san juan. you can go to condado area is near of san juan just ask the taxi driver..also you can go to ocean park beach but i think could be dificult to get a taxi from there to san juan i really don''t know
Old October 23rd, 2003, 11:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Plano97

Linda,
The beaches in the Condado and Isla Verde area, adjacent to Old San Juan, are nothing like the beaches you find in St Thomas, St John, etc. The sand is brown and the water is not clear. I have seen ads for beaches in Puerto Rico with white sand and clear water elsewhere on the island or on nearby islands such as Culebra (Flamenco beach). You will have to travel a little to get to the beautiful beach. Here is a site for Puerto Rico top beaches: http://www.gotopuertorico.com/go_bea...english&page=2
Old October 24th, 2003, 12:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well, if you would like to keep it near the San Juan area, I would recommend the Condado beach like Jorge said, that is very close to San Juan. Also, Isla Verde and Ocean Park. This last one has many waves and many people use it for "kite surfing". Very near Old San Juan, you could also visit the Parque del Tercer Milenio, this park has a little beach and great views of the bay. Many people visit to go for a walk or just relax there.

But if you're willing to go farther, there are plenty other beautiful beaches, like Luquillo, Seven Seas in Fajardo, Crashboat in Aguadilla, and the Rincon area has many beautiful beaches.

I've never sailed with Princess, so I can't be sure exactly where it docks. But the times that I have seen the Dwan and the Sea Princess there, they're at the pier that I mentioned, that is close to Old San Juan, but not the one right in front the Whyndam.

Hope this helps.

first timer
Old October 24th, 2003, 12:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Forgot to mention that here is another website where you can find information on Puerto Rico:

http://welcome.topuertorico.org/

first timer
Old November 3rd, 2003, 12:43 PM
barbaraghickey

We are going to stay at the Wyndham at Old San Juan. They have a perk they call WYNDHAM BY REQUEST. When you sign up for this you get a room upgrade and snacks and drinks waiting for you. You also have special choices of pillows and covers. You have express check in and free local calls and many many other perks. All this for no extra cost....free! Looking for ward to Puerto Rico.
Old December 31st, 2003, 08:34 PM
Familiar Face

we'll be staying in wosj too. How do you get that BY REQUEST thing?
Old January 1st, 2004, 09:28 AM
HeySailor

If anybody's looking for a hotel with more character and personality than the Wyndham Old San Juan, I HIGHLY recommend the Hotel El Convento. It's built in a 300-year-old former convent in the heart of OSJ, has loads of charm, beautiful antiques and a fabulous staff. The courtyard is lovely, even at night when a bunch of fruit bats come to play in one of the big trees. Great coffee and food, too. And it's cheaper than the Wyndham, if I'm not mistaken.
Old January 2nd, 2004, 01:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are using El Canario By the Sea , which is actually one of three sister properties near the docks in San Juan (the others are El Canario by the Lagoon and the Inn). They have very good rates, have gotten excellent write-ups, and they have a nice website where you can e-mail them directly with any questions you might have. Haven't seen the property yet, but so far my dealings with this hotel have been pleasant and efficient.
Cheers,
MaryC