Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 23rd, 2003, 11:03 AM
Passenger

Default Margaritaville - montego bay

We are sailing on the Conquest March 7. In Jamaica we have decided that we would like to spend the day at Margaritaville. I have heard that there are shuttles from the pier to there. Does anyone know? Or would it be best to just take a taxi? Also, after we are done are taxi's readily available to take us back to the ship? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2003, 07:54 AM
lizygirl3

Default Re: Margaritaville - montego bay

Went to Montego Bay, and Margaretaville. Their are a lot of taxi's when you come off the ship at the port terminal. They will take you for a fare price to Margaretaville and the same cab driver will be available to pick you up. They will ask you what time you would like to leave. You will also see many taxi's outside margaretaville when you decide to leave. Just tell you initial driver that you do not know what time you will be leaving.
Old October 24th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Captain

We were told to watch WHICH taxi's you get into. Only ones with JUTA written somewhere on them. Can anyone advise why and where we look for this JUTA?

Sensation

Old October 27th, 2003, 01:13 PM
lizygirl3

Default Re: Re: Margaritaville - montego bay

The cabs will be just outside the port building. They will say Junta on them.
Old October 28th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Margaritaville - montego bay

Hi
We bought a book on Western Carribean at Barnes and Noble this weekend, ( A cruisers guide to Jamiaca, mexico cayman islands etc. ) the one thing they stress in the book is DO NOT GET INTO A VEHICLE WITH ANYONE THAT IS NOT WEARING THE COLORS OF THE JAMAICAN FLAG, AND IS NOT A REGISTERED TOUR GUIDE. ALSO DO NOT GO WITH ANYONE THAT TELLS YOU THEY WILL TAKE YOU TO A 'SPECIAL PLACE' The actual tour guides, (drivers) wear colors similar to the flag,( I think orange and black but please check it out on the Jamaica web site) and will be happy to take you to the Police, or Travel bureau if you question their intergrity. The ones that want to take you someplace special are usually taking you to drugs and the book says they have no problem arresting a cruise ship passenger that was mistaken by this. So Please, Everyone be very careful about who you hire to drive you and where you go. I do not know if this is a common thing, but just wanted to give a heads up and ask everyone to be leary of anyone suspicious. I would hate to hear of anybody getting hurt or into trouble on their cruise. So, be safe, and use common sense and have the time of your life on your cruise!
Old October 28th, 2003, 02:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree.

We went there in March, 2001. Our cruise ship explained to us which taxi drivers to use and what to look out for. Natives will walk up to you, either wanting money or to sell you drugs.

We went snorkeling first with our guide picking us up at the ship. After snorkeling, we caught a taxi taking us to the shopping (?) district downtown. The driver wouldn't go until his van was full. So we had a little wait.

After shopping another driver took us to Margaritaville, then we walked a little further with other cruise passengers to the beach. Afterwards we caught a taxi (which I believe we waited too long to catch a ride), and got caught in traffic with school children and workers. What a mess. I was so scared we were going to be left there! Luckily our dirver got us there in time with no problem.

Our only situation of "fear" was when we ate at KFC after shopping. A lot of people and I mean A LOT of people came up to us asking for money! We had to keep our college age daughters between the men in our group.

Needless to say, Montego Bay is someplace I'll never go again. Once was enough!
Old October 28th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Captain

Apparently right now they are having losts of unrest...I am hoping that they do not stop there on the Conquest on the 16th for our cruise. I have heard that alot of locals are fighting in the streets.

Sensation

Old October 28th, 2003, 05:44 PM
Mike D.

Was in Montego Bay 2 years ago. JUTA taxis are supposed to be the ones to use - maybe unionized. We did get a different taxi from Central City to Margaritaville. No problem - did offer to sell some grass. Area aroung M'ville seemed less crowded and less pressure (like none) to buy. Doc's cove beach was great.
Few shops at the pier were safe.
Going again on the Conquest Nov 9 - hope all is the same!
Old October 29th, 2003, 01:20 PM
kimmer4

Just got back from Montego Bay..which by the way is not anywhere near Kingston.. Had 2 young children, we walked from the flea market to Doctor's Cove Beach(just past Margaritaville)..sure we were approached to try to braid my hair, you can't blaim them for asking, but I just said no thanks and kept on... we really enjoyed the beach..others on the ship went to MArgaritaville and had a great time....It was an good experience we wont forget, we took a glass-bottom boat there at the beach back to the dock(cheaper than a taxi)others to the sppedboat..No Problem Mon!!!
Old October 29th, 2003, 01:26 PM
kimmer4

Have fun!!!!...try to take the glassbottom boat back, we did!!..we walked to Doctor's Cove Beach(beautiful)...clean bathrooms....everything is available to rent(umbrellas, towels, snorkel equip. etc)..the speedboat and glassbottom boats are docked there, will take you right to the cruise ship dock..we paid 5.00/adults 2.00 kids...you can bargain..Kids loved it....We paid the 3.00from ship to flea market, then walked to the beach(past Margaritaville)it's a little of a hike but my young children loved it....Of course they will ask to braid your hair..just say no thanks! and move on..No Problem Mon...

Enjoy!...(locals said to stay clear of Kingston.)
Old October 31st, 2003, 04:43 PM
DBunk

I thought that I posted this note, but I'm not quite sure where it went because I do not see it.

We are sailing on the Zaandam on December 13th. My husband just booked us with Barrett Adventures for our Montego Bay excursion. www.barrettadventures.com
Has anyone heard of these people? Any comments would be appreciated. After reading some of these messages about Montego Bay, I am getting a little concerned. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old October 31st, 2003, 08:28 PM
Captain

I am hoping that the Conquest for the Nov16th cruise by-passes this port.....I have been to Jamaica before and am sure we aren't missing anything. Even another day at sea would be ok if they still are having problems there.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 09:06 PM
susus

DBunk....Barrett Adventures in wonderful and safe....Carolyn is from the U.S. & Errol is from Jamacia.....Super tours and Super nice people...Booked with them last two years....
Old November 4th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Admiral

We just returned from Montego Bay. The taxi's/vans are marked JUTA. Our private tour driver wore a white shirt and black pants. I did not see anyone wearing Jamaican flag colors. Carolyn Barrett's tours are very reputable and economical if you can organize a group to share the Total cost. We choose, A-Z Jamaica Planners @ $42pp for all day including entry fees. We had a wonderful day going to Rose Hall Mansion, Rose Hall beach, shopping where the vendors were nice and many were ship recommended stores, and we skipped Margaritaville as it was packed! Taxi drivers wait outside along the side walk.
Do pre-book a tour at Mo Bay.
Bon Voyage
Old November 4th, 2003, 07:18 PM
DBunk

Thank you for all the great recomendations. I feel much better. My husband had no concerns, but he really doesn't get worried about too much!

Thanks again for the positive feedback.