Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 29th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Blaizze
Default What to do in Key West

I'm looking for something fun to do in Key West. We will be a group of three all in our early 20's and are not that interested in the historic side of Key West. I was just reviewing Carnival's list of excursions and they all sounded pretty "history tour oriented". I'm wondering what everyone enjoyed doing in Key West that we might also enjoy. Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Zina

Default Re: What to do in Key West

If you're into bars, two are not to miss - Hog's Breath Saloon and, of course, Sloppy Joe's. Most of the crew on the ships do frequent one or both of these places. Just walking down Duval street should provide some pretty fun times, as well.
Old November 7th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Beginner

There is alot of things besides historic, I've been going there since 1987. Sloppy Joe's is fun and so is the Hog's Breath but they get packed when a ship is in, and have become a tourist trap. Don't forget Buffet's Margaretiville and Fat Tuesday's. Personally, I would head for Harbor Walk at the end of Front Street, and go to Schooner's Wharf Bar for the feeling of how it used to be, it is getting be a tourist trap but not as bad as the first two bars I mentioned. Also, at the end of Harbor walk past Land's End Village is a brand new complex and if you eat there you can enjoy there facilities, which include a pool and changing roooms. They also run tours out of some of the offices.

Kelly McGillis, the one in "Top Gun" has 3 restaurants in Key West, gourmet and might not be to your taste. But the most unique restaurant, known to people that frequent Martha's Vinyard, is "Blue Heaven" in the Bahama Village. You would have to take a taxi to get there and the food a combination of caribbean and island, but you will never see a place like this again.

For more infor in Key West go to:
www.FloridayKeys.com/info/ or www.flausa.com (also these sites have other links)
Old November 7th, 2003, 04:45 PM
First Mate

WOW! I didn't know there is a Fat Tuesday's in Key West now! I haven't been there in three years though... but my husband first introduced me to a Fat Tuesday's a while back.

Need to restock on some Margaritaville items though, and am looking forward to being there in a few weeks!!

Old November 8th, 2003, 10:09 AM
Edgar

I just read where they have a nude bar down some side street. We used to eat at Alphonso's Oyster Bar when we lived out there.
Old November 10th, 2003, 12:44 AM
dehartley84

Head to the "Moped Hospital" (yes, it's really called that) and rent mopeds. It's the only way to see Dog Beach, the Lighthouse, Mallory Square, and Zachary Taylor State Park Beach in the least amount of time. We had a blast.
Old November 10th, 2003, 07:19 AM
Admiral

Yep, we rented from Moped Hospital also and tooled around the island. Just be careful where you park, we got a ticket. Also just going down Duval is great, lots of unique shops, galleries, bars etc. And be sure to stop at the Blond Girafe on Duval for the best key lime pie! Happy sailing.
Old November 23rd, 2003, 03:37 AM
Gabby804

i enjoyed the kayak excursion. it was a two hour tour of the inland waters. if you've never been kayaking give it a try. if you like canoeing - the kayak is even beter!
Old November 23rd, 2003, 07:06 AM
lysolqq

There's a hop on, hop off trolley tour in Key West that gives you a great overview of town. You can get off and visit any or all of the points of interest, then hop back on again. If I remember correctly, you get one complete loop for a reasonable price ($20 - $25?). You can buy tickets right in the center of town.