Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 11th, 2003, 01:58 PM
Passenger

Default where to buy alcohol??

I am planning on buying more top shelf liqours, i.e. Grey Goose vodka, Appleton Estate, Hennesy, etc. Where should I buy, Grand Cayman or Cozumel (or jamaica, but when i was there last the prices were sky high!) Thanks!
Mariner 12/14/03
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2003, 03:15 PM
First Mate

Default Re: where to buy alcohol??

I'm also looking for an answer to a very simlar question!

Grand Cayman or Cozumel.

My favorite yummy is Malibu. Got a great buy on it in St Maarten earlier this year (I knew ahead of time it was cheaper in St Maarten than St Thomas), but my upcoming cruise has ports of call at Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Key West. I'd hate to buy in Grand Cayman, and then find it a lot cheaper in Cozumel. (or vice versa - miss a terrific buy in Grand Cayman). Which port is less expensive to purchase in?

Thanks,
~ Mandy
Old November 11th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

From our buying, the best prices are in St Thomas or St Marteen. First we price them in the states then the ship then the islands, some times it is the ship that has the best buys.

Old November 11th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Edgar

The trip is, how do you smuggle it back onto the ship. Everything else is irrelevant.
Old November 11th, 2003, 11:43 PM
Passenger

Can you not bring back on to ship or is it that you are limited to the amount you can bring back?
Old November 12th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Admiral

Magi, when we did the Coz, Grand Cay and Jamaica route we found the alcohol the least expensive in Jamaica! That was also our last stop and they let me bring the alcohol to our room. Other than that we found Grand Cay to be cheaper than Coz. Go to Tortuga Liquors (don't know of any other place), they will box it up and send it to your ship. You will receive on your last night. This is the way it's done on CCL and RCCL.

As for St Thomas and St Maarten, we found at the time Maarten to be cheaper. Anyone going that route be sure to get a bottle of the Cadbury liquor. It was very good and those were the only places we have ever found this liquor.
Old November 12th, 2003, 07:56 AM
Admiral

none of the ports you have mentioned are great shopping ports for liquor. Jamacia has some great coffee liquers but as for high-end alcohol, you might do better buying from the ships duty-free liquor store. If you go over your duty-free limit you must declare it when you fill out your paperwork. The store will pack it up for you and deliver it to your stateroom on the last night. If you buy on the island, the ship might allow you bring a bottle aboard in your carry-on, large quanties will be taken and given back to you last night.
Old November 12th, 2003, 10:47 AM
First Mate

Thanks for the info!

It looks like that for my specific upcoming ports, Grand Cayman is best if buying on land.
(Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Key West)
I'll be sure to check ship prices before purchasing anywhere.

I totally agree about St Maarten - however, it is not on my upcoming cruise. In March, we found the prices to be much better in St Maarten versus St Thomas.

Thanks again!

~ Mandy
Old November 12th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Passenger

yes, 2 yrs ago in st maarten i found absolut for 5 dollars...no joke! average anywhere was 8, but this one small shop, whoa
Old November 13th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Edgar

What? You just get a case or two and pick it up when you get back?
Old November 13th, 2003, 07:55 PM
browezilla

Check with US customs to see how much you can bring back. I was a bit surprised at how little you could bring in, something like 4 liters.
Old November 14th, 2003, 07:47 AM
Admiral

Edgar, let me try to clear things up for you. If you buy liquor while on shore, some stores will package it up for you and send it to your ship. The ship will then hold the liquor until the last night, you have to claim it and either put it with your checked baggage or carry it with you on the airplane. If you buy your liquor on shore and decide to take it back to the ship with you, most times security will take it from you, store it until the end of the cruise. If you want to drink it in your room, the best way to smuggle it in,. Is to pack it very carefully in plastic bottles wrapped in bubble wrap in you checked luggage.
Old November 21st, 2003, 03:43 PM
seabee

What ships are you guys sailing on where they take your liquor?
the few times I have purchased it ashore, I've just taken it back aboard in the bag in came in and put it right thru the x-ray machine with no questions asked.
Old November 24th, 2003, 05:00 PM
First Mate

I have been looking into this. So far it seems most ships allow it except for Carnival! Wouldnt you know it, we're sailing on the Truimph in Feb.

Im all for having them box it up to bring it home. It will sure make it easier. BUT I would like to have one bottle in my room for a drink or 2 while getting dressed!
Old November 24th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Does anyone know if princess will let you bring a bottle or two of wine on board at the start of the trip in FL?? I know we brought a bottle or two on board Curand ships in the med years ago..before they checked your bags... We also enjoy a drinkw while dressing for dinner ..how abouta cork srew in your checked bags....Flying Southwest.

thanks
Old November 24th, 2003, 09:11 PM
First Mate

Hi Star,

Carnival allows Fine wine and champagne to be brought on board in "reasonable amounts." They charge a $10 corking fee if you open it at dinner. I know Im bringing a few bottles.

Not sure if they will consider my Yellow Tail merlot "fine" or not, but thats what Im bringing.

Carrie
Old November 27th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Nick

Default Re: Re: where to buy alcohol??

No problem with a cork screw in your checked baggage. No problem with bringing a two or three bottles of wine on board. You can buy liquor on board ship and have it brought to your room. Example: Jack Daniels or Beefeaters $22.00 for a liter. Just call room service for liquor, mix & etc.