Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2003, 09:49 PM
Terry Willson

Default Tortola/St. Thomas Shore Excursions

Looking for advice on shore excursions out of Tortola and St. Thomas.
Considering: Virgin Gorda (Tortola) and either Champagne Catamaran Sail & Snorkel to St. John or Sea Trekking Helmet Dive/Coral World (St. Thomas). Any feedback or other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Tortola/St. Thomas Shore Excursions

There are not a lot of options for tours out of Tortola. Unfortunately the short stay in this beautiful island barely allows you to experience it. Unlike many other port stops, Tortola is not the a neon lighted tourist / shoppingmecca. It's beauty is in it's mountains, beaches and waters surrounding. One major option offered is the trip to the Baths on Virgin Gorda. You will get on a local (modern) ferry and take a 40 minute ride to Virgin Gorda. From the pier you will be transported to the parking lot above the Baths by open air jitney taxis or vans. About 5 minute ride. The walk down to the Baths is down a somewhat rough path about 400 yards. At the Baths you will encounter beautiful rock formations, small but nice sandy beaches and good snorkelling if the wind is not kickig up the waves. Explore the "path" through the rocks to Devils Bay (the beach there will be less crowded. There are bathrooms and a snack bar at the beach and a number of shops and a restaurant at the top of the path. Try a Pina Colada at Mad Dogs in the Parking lot. Best you will ever have. Trip back is of course the reverse.
You only get to see about 5% of this beautiful island. But it is worth it.
Alternatives on Tortola are to strike out by cab to Cane Garden Bay (plenty of restaurants shops and services at this beautiful beach) . Other beaches are BrewersBay and Apple Bay. The beaches are over the hills and the cab ride is like an E ticket ride at your favorate amusement park.
In St Thomas a tour is not neccessary. Take a cab to Maegens Bay, Coki Beach or Saphire Beach. Take the ferry to St John and snorkel Trunk Bay.
Old November 19th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Terry Willson

Default Re: Re: Tortola/St. Thomas Shore Excursions

Very informative! Thanks for the suggestions.
Old November 20th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

On Tortola we shared a taxi to Pirates Cove and had a great time snorkeling. Next trip we plan on going to the Baths on Virgin Gorda - I've heard it's not to be missed.
Old November 20th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Haven't been to Tortola but we've been to St Thomas in February.
We rented a jeep in St John....took the taxi at the pier to Red Hook Ferry which took us over to St John. Picked up the Jeep and spent the day doing our own tour of the island. Went to Trunk Bay and Annaberg and ate at Skinny Legs in Coral Bay. If you have the time I suggest going over to St John.

Old November 26th, 2003, 10:33 AM
D Walstead

If you are looking for an awesome and exciting snorkeling experience in St Thomas, may I personally recommend the Doubloon and crew and snorkeling in Turtle Cove. They sail to Turtle Cove and Bert and crew take the time to make sure that this is an awesome experience. Whether novice or pro the sea life is incredible. We are planning to be with them again in February. They do have a website. Check it out.

Voyager of the Sea 2001
Inspiration 2002
Navigator of the Sea 2003
Elation 2003
Voyager of the Sea 2003
Adventure of the Sea 2004
Old November 26th, 2003, 01:33 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Cassie

Are there turtles @ turtles cove?
Old November 26th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Admiral

I have sailed on the Doubloon and can second that recommendation.
Old November 26th, 2003, 04:15 PM
hcat

We took an island tour through Celebrity on Tortola that gave some beautiful views & many photo ops. There was a stop at Skyworld--top of mountains where you could see other islands, shop, snack etc & another stop with time to swim at Cane Garden Bay--it was lovely! Also had time to shop in local & tourist stores & visit the famous Pusser's store/bar..We did alot that day--can't wait to get back there somday--will do the baths at Virgin Gorda next time. It is my new favorite island. have not been to Dt Thomas in many yrs but when we return this March we will go Snorkeling on St Johns with a Celeb excursion....Enjoy your cruise
Old December 5th, 2003, 07:46 PM
Admiral

The best trip EVER, was on the Champagne Catamaran and snorkelling tour out of St. Thomas. Captain Ed was the greatest, and the snorkelling, the snacks and the "Painkillers" were the best. Scenery was great too.
As for the Virgin Gorda Baths out of Tortola, we had a BAD experience with that one: JELLYFISH! Alot of people were bitten and that put a damper on an otherwise beautiful island stay. The Baths themselves and especially the steep embankment to get there I would not recommend for anyone who has trouble walking or breathing - very tiring!

donna

Old December 12th, 2003, 07:02 PM
lindalarsen

Default Re: Re: Re: Tortola/St. Thomas Shore Excursions

Does anyone have a web address for Doubloon? Also PapaBill- Did you take the tour to the Bath's and Canes Bay, or on your own?
Thanks
Old December 13th, 2003, 07:56 PM
hcat

Aftre reading Rollerdonna's post I am glad we took the Cane Garden Bay & island tour--had regretted that our Baths tour had ben cancelled but seems it was for the best!
Old December 14th, 2003, 01:05 PM
First Mate

Hi Donna, did you book the Catamaran tour through Carnival? I have been looking into the Golden Eagle Catamaran Tour out of St. Marrten. Have you heard of that one? We'll be on the Truimph Feb 14 and I really want to do a Catamaran tour. Also, any of you been to Sunset Beach in St. Marrten? Its where the planes land very close to the beach.

Any input is appreciated!

Carrie
Old December 15th, 2003, 08:07 AM
Admiral

When we cruised on Legend we did the ship's tour to Virgin Gorda/ the Baths. We also
have vacationed in the BVI's on our own and we stayed on Cane Garden Bay. We have been to Virgin Gorda on our own as well.
I would use the ship's tour for Virgin Gorda and strike out on your own if you stay on Tortola.
Old January 16th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Judy Hoenich

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Tortola/St. Thomas Shore Excursions

Hi!
did you ever get a web address for Doubloon.

If you did, could you please forward it.

What about captain ed?

Thanks
Judy
Old January 17th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Marina

i agree with rollerdonna, virgin gorda amazing, but............... if u get stung by jellyfish, such as a port man-o-war ( i saw it happen) there is no help available on the beach and the walk on the path is terrible unless in good shape, also climbing the ladders to the differant rocks is rough going. i wonder if there is a tour going directly to the baths now. its an awsome sight, how did they rocks get there, if i have my info right, the only other place these rocks are is in new hampshire usa. there is bathroom facilities on the beach and when we were there, someone was selling pop, otherwise it back to the top for something to drink, lovely fresh water pool at the top also, i didn't really see it going down the path,but was a welcome sight going back up.
Old January 18th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Robing01

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Tortola/St. Thomas Shore Excursions

Old January 26th, 2004, 10:35 AM
adalace

For Tortola you can check out dolphin discovery.
Old January 27th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Passenger

Hey Carrie,

Just go off the NCL Dawn. Took the Golden Eagle in St. Maarten (Jan 22/04). It was the highlight of our trip. They took us to Flat Island. Beautiful sandy beach, with a rocky point, water was calm and very clear. Great snorkelling there. Bring some fish food with you if you can. (we bought some from Deep Blue off the web)

The Golden Eagle cat we were on was new ... two months old. The crew was very professional and safety minded. After snorkelling we had lovely sandwiches on French bread, with punch or pop. I would highly recommend this tour.
Old March 7th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Judy Hoenich

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tortola/St. Thomas Shore Excursions

Thanks!
Old March 12th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Beginner

While in Tortola my wife and I took the tour from right outside
the cruise dock. At first wasnt sure what to expect but you really see alot
from the top of the island all the way to the other side on cane cove beach. Only
$15 a person and the best value Ive ever had on an exursion. In all about 4-1/2
hours.
JRW
Old March 12th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

The Baths of Virgin Gorda are so very beautiful! You do NOT have to go all through the caves to enjoy it! Rather fun to look inside the "caves" but the area outside is very nice. What CLEAR water!
This MAP might help someone: http://www.thebathsbvi.com/map

hcat, Please tell us more about Cane Garden Bay!!!!! All will have a "short day" in Tortola so this seems to be something easy to do and different!

Any other comments on Cane Garden Bay Beach would certainly be appreciated!